What it means to be a man

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

will2097

Re: What it means to be a man

Post by will2097 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:35 am

I'm surprised at women that want a man that cook, clean, take care of the kids, have a job, drive, Iron, garden etc., because if a bloke can do all that stuff, aren't women effectively marginalizing themselves? Comes a point surely when you don't need a women except for biological needs. Not much leverage?

As for being a man, I took the extra chromosome and never really thought about it. I do all the things above (cook, iron, job, etc) and never really thought about it. I don't consider ironing (especially if you want it done properly and quickly ;) ) for example as womans work but I do consider moving concrete slabs around the garden mens work. So, basically what I am saying is, I'm making a rod for my own back eh?

All Sleeping Deity!

Post by All Sleeping Deity! » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:49 am

will2097 wrote:I'm surprised at women that want a man that cook, clean, take care of the kids, have a job, drive, Iron, garden etc., because if a bloke can do all that stuff, aren't women effectively marginalizing themselves? Comes a point surely when you don't need a women except for biological needs. Not much leverage?

As for being a man, I took the extra chromosome and never really thought about it. I do all the things above (cook, iron, job, etc) and never really thought about it. I don't consider ironing (especially if you want it done properly and quickly ;) ) for example as womans work but I do consider moving concrete slabs around the garden mens work. So, basically what I am saying is, I'm making a rod for my own back eh?
Exactly. Women have been fighting for equal rights for ages. Yet they only want equal pay. They dont want all the bagage that comes with it - like most of the above skills you listed.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:01 am

I don't care about all these 'ways to conform' and what different sexes 'should and shouldn't do'. It's better to not think about that sort of stuff and just live with somebody how you want to live with them. As long as you're both happy then who cares?

Have to say though, I don't like the kind of men who come home, sit in their chair and expect the wife to do everything, clean up their mess etc. That's just lazy and unfair.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:15 am

Megamixer wrote:Have to say though, I don't like the kind of men who come home, sit in their chair and expect the wife to do everything, clean up their mess etc. That's just lazy and unfair.
Unless of cause she is a house wife and he has a full time job then that's the deal right?

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:18 am

will2097 wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Have to say though, I don't like the kind of men who come home, sit in their chair and expect the wife to do everything, clean up their mess etc. That's just lazy and unfair.
Unless of cause she is a house wife and he has a full time job then that's the deal right?
That's fairer of course. Blokes who have working wives and leave mess everywhere and expect everything done for them however are a different story.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Dennoman

Post by Dennoman » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:19 am

Indeed. I think we've evolved far enough as a species to know men and women are at least equals in some ways and that we shouldn't keep falling into traditional patterns. Man go work, woman stay home, must clean house and cook for man! Looking into it, I think my mum and dad are still fairly old-fashioned in that respect, but at least my dad doesn't go run off to the pub every night or watch the footie with a can of beer. He gets work done around the house, and that's nice.

I think every modern man should be somewhat comfortable with their feminine side, but that doesn't mean you have to get facial peelings done or go to yoga classes just because your wife's or daughter's teenage glam mag tells you to. I think it's healthy for a married man to have fun with his mates sometimes, enjoy a few pints, eat some takeaway or slap a piece of meat on the BBQ and nurture his primal instincts.

If you don't like to do any of those things, well who gives a sod anyway.

A real man is confident about himself and doesn't have to constantly put up a show for himself or those around him to confirm his male identity. In that respect, I know plenty of gay people that are as manly as can be. It's not because you're gay that you have to prance around like a flaming queen.

Always on the look-out for fighting games!
Have any stray ones laying about? Let me know and we'll try to give them a cosy new home.

lanky316

Post by lanky316 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:22 am

psj3809 wrote:I'm fine with equal rights, but it has to be equal, one minute women want equal rights and then they retired earlier than us ? Hello ? Cant have it both ways. I agree a woman whos a manager should earn the same as a man totally. Not quite the same level but look at Wimbledon, if women want to be paid the same as men then play 5 sets not 3. Have it equal or dont.
My theory on the pay differentials are that men are better at haggling. Every job I've had I've been asked the question "what sort of salary would you be looking at?" When these happen I can only assume we try and squeeze a little more. Don't get me started on female athletes though, that's the thing about feminists, I don't think they're after equality anymore. Now blokes have stupidly created artificial sperm the feminists and career women are working on androids to wipe men off the face of the Earth. You heard it here first folks.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:23 am

Dennoman wrote:I think it's healthy for a married man to have fun with his mates sometimes, enjoy a few pints, eat some takeaway or slap a piece of meat on the BBQ and nurture his primal instincts.
Totally agree. In the past a few 'friends' got a girlfriend and then disappeared for months on end. Would only come out if their girlfriend was away or something, like they couldnt come out any other time. Terrible ! Blokes who drop their mates the second they meet a girl, not good.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:24 am

Megamixer wrote:
will2097 wrote:
That's fairer of course. Blokes who have working wives and leave mess everywhere and expect everything done for them however are a different story.

I totally agree. That isn't fair.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:25 am

lanky316 wrote:
psj3809 wrote:I'm fine with equal rights, but it has to be equal, one minute women want equal rights and then they retired earlier than us ? Hello ? Cant have it both ways. I agree a woman whos a manager should earn the same as a man totally. Not quite the same level but look at Wimbledon, if women want to be paid the same as men then play 5 sets not 3. Have it equal or dont.
My theory on the pay differentials are that men are better at haggling. Every job I've had I've been asked the question "what sort of salary would you be looking at?" When these happen I can only assume we try and squeeze a little more. Don't get me started on female athletes though, that's the thing about feminists, I don't think they're after equality anymore. Now blokes have stupidly created artificial sperm the feminists and career women are working on androids to wipe men off the face of the Earth. You heard it here first folks.
Well, they do say a Woman work is never done, and that's why they get paid less. I mean...

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:30 am

This whole "Man" thing brings something out in me

Wait......Urgh................I FEEL IT!!
ITS HAPPENING!!!!!
R-R-R-REAL MEN DON'T GO TO THE SALON FOOL! REAL MEN GO TO THE BARBERS AND GET THERE LONG HAIR CUT! REAL MEN DON'T USE HAND CREAM REAL MEN LIKE THE LEATHERY TEXTURE TO THERE HANDS SUCKA! REAL MEN DON'T SPEND TIME SUNBATHING UNDER SOME DAMN LIGHT BULBS FOOL! REAL MEN DON'T SIT AROUND IN OFFICES LISTENING TO POPfm REAL MEN DO THINGS LIKE OUT STAIR A STATUE REAL MEN DON'T DRIVE LITTLE CARS WITH NO ENGINE SOUNDS REAL MEN DRIVE BIKES WITH ENGINE SOUNDS THAT BRING FEAR INTO THE HEARTS OF THOSE OTHER MEN FOOL! REAL MEN DON'T GO TO A BAR AND ORDER A BOTTLE OF WATER SUCKA! REAL MEN DON'T GO TO A RESTAURANT AND ORDER SOMETHING WITH SALAD REAL MEN EAT SOMETHING WITH MEAT IN IT!!! THEN ORDER A SNICKERS FOR AFTERS!
SNICKERS GET SOME NUTS!!!

Dennoman

Post by Dennoman » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:30 am

psj3809 wrote:
Dennoman wrote:I think it's healthy for a married man to have fun with his mates sometimes, enjoy a few pints, eat some takeaway or slap a piece of meat on the BBQ and nurture his primal instincts.
Totally agree. In the past a few 'friends' got a girlfriend and then disappeared for months on end. Would only come out if their girlfriend was away or something, like they couldnt come out any other time. Terrible ! Blokes who drop their mates the second they meet a girl, not good.
Bros before hoes!

You have to give each other some space, trust is the basis for every healthy partnership. Every single of those tight obsessive relationships I've seen with my mates always ended in sheer tragedy and dirty break-ups.

Sometimes I get too whimsical about these things too. I stopped seeing one of my best mates when he started dating this obsessive little witch who took up all his time and devotion. She was even talking about marriage and children after only a few months, and I was like: "meh, I give it two years tops."

Two years pretty much dead on the money and he broke up with her via Facebook :| now you see, THAT's what I call cowardly and un-manly. A real man would at least have the courtesy to break up with her face to face. Needless to say, we're no longer mates.

Always on the look-out for fighting games!
Have any stray ones laying about? Let me know and we'll try to give them a cosy new home.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:32 am

its changed a lot.
Last edited by Fred83 on Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:46 am

Dennoman wrote:You have to give each other some space, trust is the basis for every healthy partnership. Every single of those tight obsessive relationships I've seen with my mates always ended in sheer tragedy and dirty break-ups.

Sometimes I get too whimsical about these things too. I stopped seeing one of my best mates when he started dating this obsessive little witch who took up all his time and devotion. She was even talking about marriage and children after only a few months, and I was like: "meh, I give it two years tops."
Dont get me wrong, when i was 21, sometimes the second a friend met some girl he disappeared until they broke up 6 months later and then was out all the time. Being older and married its different, but i still see my friends once a month when i travel to the south of England and their wifes go and do something and the blokes go out together. Not saying it should be a 'lads night' every weekend but once every 4 or 5 weeks isnt much to ask. Some people i know just have to go with their wife no matter what, she sits there bored and moaning about 'can we go yet?'. Think its good to still have some 'bloke time' as theres a lot of 'couples going to dinner...' type nights etc.

And yeah any obsessive men/women who fret when their partner goes out for a night without them, thats ridiculous and wont last long anyway

Nienna

Post by Nienna » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:02 am

I think the only difference between men and women should be what is between the legs. In our house we both do everything from cooking, ironing and looking after the kids to decorating and DIY. Before meeting our partners we all would be doing the majority of chores etc ourselves why should it be any different once with a partner. We are all equals irelevent of sex.
As quoted by Mike Wilson: plz join my group i need justice for my son!! Just join my group and pass it on n so on!! plz help me and most of all help Liam get justice http://www.facebook.com/pages/Justice-f ... 9196440290