Famous People from your Home Town

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
SexyWayne
Posts: 4485
Joined: Sun May 20, 2007 2:20 am
Location: Kidderminster, UK

Re: Famous People from your Home Town

Post by SexyWayne » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:23 am

thevulture wrote:bugger
Well, thats one thing that happens :D

User avatar
Sputryk
Posts: 2508
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Cobbydale

Re: Famous People from your Home Town

Post by Sputryk » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:57 am

Bah! How could I forget? Not sure if he was born in/near Silsden, but Stock-Car meisters Frankie Wainman Jnr and Snr both lived there for many, many years; Jnr was in my brothers class during school!

And according to Wiki, Sir Henry Price lived there, opening his first Fifty Shilling Tailors shop there, and Margaret Wintringham [who? Everyone], who was the second female to take a Seat at the House of Commons.

Oh, and me, of course! :D Though I don't know what I'm famous for.

User avatar
lanky316
Posts: 1418
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:32 am

Re: Famous People from your Home Town

Post by lanky316 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:24 am

Another I remembered fighting self scan in Sainsburys', largely due to him doing likewise, Dragonforce drummer Dave Mackintosh is a local too.

Eastenders actor Sid Owen lives local now. He got arsey with missus for not being given preferential treatment the other day.
Image

User avatar
STranger81
Posts: 2497
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:42 am
Location: Derbyshire

Re: Famous People from your Home Town

Post by STranger81 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:33 am

My small town in Derbyshire has had 3 celebs (that I know of)

Simon Groom (ex Blue Peter)

Tracy Shaw (ex Coronation Street) Big headed tosspiece. So glad when her "career" went tits up. She used to walk round the town centre with various Coronation Street cast members and Darran Day.

Timothy Dalton aka "Belper Bond" (James Bond, Hot Fuzz)
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

User avatar
alistair_thomas
Posts: 765
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:20 am

Re: Famous People from your Home Town

Post by alistair_thomas » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:26 pm

Northampton here, and I *think* Matt Smith and Alan Carr were from there originally.

User avatar
The Master
Posts: 7252
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:01 pm
Location: the isle of everywhere

Re: Famous People from your Home Town

Post by The Master » Tue May 04, 2010 10:39 pm

This conversation has moved somewhat disappointingly away from sheep shagging.

They do say that the sheep vagina blah blah blah etc etc. "Innit"?
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

User avatar
Liamh1982
Posts: 8297
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:11 pm
Location: Wrexham
Contact:

Re: Famous People from your Home Town

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:23 am

Was searching for something completely different, stumbled across this thread. Here goes:
Robbie Savage
Tim Vincent
Mark Hughes (Ruabon really, but close enough)
Country music "superstar" Charlie Landsborough
Ricky Tomlinson lives round here, mum sees him shopping.
And Elihu Yale - who founded THE Yale - is buried here.

User avatar
tekaotaku
Posts: 1494
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:45 pm
Location: Scunthorpe aka sunny scunny!!

Re: Famous People from your Home Town

Post by tekaotaku » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:27 pm

well coming from scunthorpe (and village classed as near-scunthorpe)....not many people....

Most famous is prob Joan Plowright (as the Plowright Theatre is named after here, the plowright)

and then possibly the Guy who wrote the Jack Carter series, Ted Lewis, while from Manchester lived in Barton-upon-humber (near scunthorpe)for a while and then based his book Jack Returns Home in Scunthorpe. (The movie rights for get carter changed Scunthorpe to Newcastle)... thats a bit of a push that one but still lol

Oh Elliot Morley (MP) For screwing the tax payer over and claiming on a mortage he no longer had, I suppose he's famous for the wrong reason.

mmmm.....possible Sheriden Smith, she was from one of the surrounding villages, and my mate soon to be famous (his words) Ian Sharpe, starred in Heartbeat (played a drunk retard in one episode, no really) was an extra in Band Of Brothers (opening battle scenes) is currently on stage as a dancer in Les Miserable and has an independent movie out called KICK-OFF, about a gay football who come out against the hardest/ruffest team in the leaque, its pretty censored to be honest. :lol:

Thats about it
Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"

User avatar
QuantumCrayons
Posts: 1690
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:17 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Famous People from your Home Town

Post by QuantumCrayons » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:10 pm

Mine would be Falkirk. We've got one that some people might know; Alan Bisset, a Scottish novelist.
We seem to be more about business, having Barr's (creators of Irn Bru) begun here. Also, Calvin Harris lived here for a bit, seems.

Yes, we are boring.

User avatar
Katzkatz
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:03 pm
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re: Famous People from your Home Town

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:08 pm

tekaotaku wrote:well coming from scunthorpe (and village classed as near-scunthorpe)....not many people....

Most famous is prob Joan Plowright (as the Plowright Theatre is named after here, the plowright)

and then possibly the Guy who wrote the Jack Carter series, Ted Lewis, while from Manchester lived in Barton-upon-humber (near scunthorpe)for a while and then based his book Jack Returns Home in Scunthorpe. (The movie rights for get carter changed Scunthorpe to Newcastle)... thats a bit of a push that one but still lol

Oh Elliot Morley (MP) For screwing the tax payer over and claiming on a mortage he no longer had, I suppose he's famous for the wrong reason.

mmmm.....possible Sheriden Smith, she was from one of the surrounding villages, and my mate soon to be famous (his words) Ian Sharpe, starred in Heartbeat (played a drunk retard in one episode, no really) was an extra in Band Of Brothers (opening battle scenes) is currently on stage as a dancer in Les Miserable and has an independent movie out called KICK-OFF, about a gay football who come out against the hardest/ruffest team in the leaque, its pretty censored to be honest. :lol:

Thats about it
Tekaotaku, you should also add the radio presenter Ian Collins(he of Talksport, Invicta radio and BBC Radio Kent fame). He is always mentioning the fact that he was born in Scunthorpe(apparently he has an aunt who still lives there) and moved down south to Ashford in Kent when he was 3.

GamingWeston
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:17 pm

Re: Famous People from your Home Town

Post by GamingWeston » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:41 pm

Not a single famous person as I was born in Hungary but Ede Teller comes from my country
My own handpicked collection of flash games: Free Online Flash Games

User avatar
tekaotaku
Posts: 1494
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:45 pm
Location: Scunthorpe aka sunny scunny!!

Re: Famous People from your Home Town

Post by tekaotaku » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:14 am

Katzkatz wrote:
Tekaotaku, you should also add the radio presenter Ian Collins(he of Talksport, Invicta radio and BBC Radio Kent fame). He is always mentioning the fact that he was born in Scunthorpe(apparently he has an aunt who still lives there) and moved down south to Ashford in Kent when he was 3.
Ah...thats another one, but never heard of him :oops: lol
Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"

User avatar
Liamh1982
Posts: 8297
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:11 pm
Location: Wrexham
Contact:

Re: Famous People from your Home Town

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:47 am

GamingWeston wrote:Not a single famous person as I was born in Hungary but Ede Teller comes from my country
Surely there are more famous Hungarians? Ferenc Puskás, for example.

User avatar
djcarlos
Posts: 4196
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:57 am
Location: Just outside the Imperial Capital Of Seaford

Re: Famous People from your Home Town

Post by djcarlos » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:50 am

Despite someone claiming Shakespeare was a Brummie a few pages ago, I'm claiming him being as I was born in Stratford-On-Avon.

I now live in a little village just outside Newhaven.....which has no famous children. But it was the last place Lord Lucan was seen.
Image

User avatar
Liamh1982
Posts: 8297
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:11 pm
Location: Wrexham
Contact:

Re: Famous People from your Home Town

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:22 am

Got some more:
Dennis Taylor lives in Llay.
Andrew Scott - guitarist in The Sweet
Jason Koumas, Joey Jones, Paul Jones - Welsh international footballers
Rob Jones - the only England international born in Wales!
K-Klass - dance music act, "Rhythm Is A Mystery" reached #3 in 1991.
Tom James - Olympic gold winning rower
Edwin Hughes - Balaclava Ned, the longest lived survivor from The Charge of the Light Brigade.
Amy Guy - Gladiator "Siren" from the Sky reboot.
Rosemarie Frankland - 1961 Miss World
David Bower - played David in "Four Weddings and a Funeral".

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests