Relationships: What are they for?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TwoHeadedBoy

Relationships: What are they for?

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:57 pm

Well, I'm tired and I've had a wee bit to drink, so in the style of Fred83, I pose a topic for discussion (it may not apply to the older ones around here, but who knows?)

Just been having an email discussion with a female friend from "dahn sahf" (Brighton), and we got to wondering why it is that people in their mid-20s (or thereabouts) bother having relationships? There's the sex, obviously, but thinking about the other reasons given - security, companionship, convenience (ie: living together) - well, which ones of these can you NOT get from a regular friend?

With regular friends, you have companions, you can get a place together, and your very best friends will always be there for you, and there's none of this wild fluctuation of body/mind chemicals that tends to come with being in a relationship. The only reasoning we could come up with was the convenience for when sex was desired.

There has to be more to it than that, doesn't there? Please try and change my mind, I'm not up for being disillusioned by human progress at the moment. No, there HAS to be more to it than:
"Why are you both together?"
"It's easier that way".
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

alistair_thomas

Re: Relationships: What are they for?

Post by alistair_thomas » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:21 pm

It's a tough one to answer, when you start really thinking about it. All I can come up with is that my girlfriend is also my best friend, if that makes sense?

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:25 pm

To make you feel nice.

I don't really value any friendship that I have so much as I do with my girl.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:34 pm

The answer you're looking for is called love yes? where you want to be with the person all the time and when you're not with them you're always thinking about them. You don't get that in a friendship. The connection is something a little deeper.

Of course it all wears a bit thin after a few years LOL but that's how it starts out for most people I think.

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:46 pm

The only reasoning we could come up with was the convenience for when sex was desired.
Ask many 20 somethings if thats the case in a long term relationship and they may not agree :lol:

It's a basic human impulse to want to be part of something bigger than just yourself; there's a basic human impulse to want to pro-create. Put the two together and shazzam. Thats the basic human impulse line anyway.

For me, being in a relationship is less about security, companionship, sex...it's more about being with someone you want to be with. For life. And I don't think anyone can properly explain it to someone who doesn't feel that. But it happens to everyone eventually.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:04 pm

Space_turnip wrote:And I don't think anyone can properly explain it to someone who doesn't feel that. But it happens to everyone eventually.
Even if you do try they throw it in your face usually..
Logged out 15/07/2014.

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:14 am

Relationships: what are they for.............so I can dust of my VCD of Electric Dreams and have a cosy night in with the missus and watch it together, which is the perfect excuse becasue its a little bit of a geeky love chick fest flick, which I bought before being with my missus!! And this bit always makes her cuddle up to me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OLEAeky ... re=related

So in short, there a perfect excuse to get with the less masculine things in life lol
Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:34 am

C=Style wrote:The answer you're looking for is called love yes? where you want to be with the person all the time and when you're not with them you're always thinking about them. You don't get that in a friendship. The connection is something a little deeper.

Of course it all wears a bit thin after a few years LOL but that's how it starts out for most people I think.
Isn't that lust then? :lol: Maybe infatuation is a more correct description. Love's an eternal mystery, just read some poems written by romantic poets and authors. A load of old bollox if you ask me but hey.. .. ..

Perhaps love just changes from an initial whirlwind of excitement and hormones into ultimate trust and the relationship just continue to evolve for the better. When it's right it's right and that's all there is to it. I certainly wouldn't share my bank account with anyone other than my wife.

Good look trying to define the title of this thread!

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:57 am

Relationships HunH! What are they good for? Absolutely nothing Say it again!

To the tune of 'War'

Taxi for Ralph?

Ps been in a realtionship since 1872.... well it feels that long anyways
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:10 am

Ralph Milne's Left Foot wrote:Relationships HunH! What are they good for? Absolutely nothing Say it again!

To the tune of 'War'

Taxi for Ralph?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Quality..........
Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:42 am

Cause people just wanna be loved...

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:40 pm

I asked my better half earlier and he quickly avoided the subject by talking about F1 instead :roll: :lol:

I've flat-sit with my best friend a while ago and to be honest it's just totally different from living with a partner.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:42 pm

I need to wake up next to someone. I need someone to be there.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:02 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Well, I'm tired and I've had a wee bit to drink, so in the style of Fred83, I pose a topic for discussion (it may not apply to the older ones around here, but who knows?)
:lol: thanks

Spector

Post by Spector » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:48 pm

gman72 wrote:I need to wake up next to someone. I need someone to be there.
#cause since you left me babe
#you know I really just don't care
#dah!

It sounded like a song lyric to me anyway... :D
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)