Record Store Day

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sputryk

Re: Record Store Day

Post by Sputryk » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:36 pm

Got me Brian Wilson's new single, The Right Time on 7". A little disappointed to find it housed only in a stock sleeve. Surely for a day like this, a pic sleeve wasn't too much to ask for, was it?

What has REALLY annoyed me, though, is a lack of stockists of The Montecristos' Love Missile F1-11 on 7" red vinyl. I checked every outlet in North and West Yorkshire, Burnley and Manchester - none of them had it or had even heard of it. Have done a random search of many outlets nationwide, only to also draw a blank (most will post their got-in list online), yet it is apparently out there somewhere. Was really looking forward to getting my hands on that. If anyone does come across it...please buy it and PM me for a sell-on! Ta very muchly!

Ridiculous waiting time in queues for this thing. Arrived at Crash Records in Leeds at 8:30 to find the queue already nearing 100metres long. Having spent nigh-on 2 HOURS in the queue, I had shuffled forwards some 15 metres.... Had enough. Went to Jumbo Records instead and found myself in and out within a half hour of arriving! Whether it was deliberate at Crash I don't know, but they had cameramen outside interviewing random people. And only allowed 5 (or so I heard) folk into the store at any one time.

This was my first RSD, so I'll be more prepared next time. And with a bit more money as there were a few other collectibles I would have liked - U2, Adam And, A-HA, Monty Python and maybe a couple of obscurities had I done some research a little sooner.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:26 am

There is a issue with record store day which a lot of people don't talk about. Yes the concept is great but here is a response from a small record label which is echoed by quite a lot of people.

"The thing is - that is the *concept* of RSD that is helping keep your store alive, but the unregulated output of this day turns the entire record industry into absolute mush for the first half of the year. It not only brings down the overall consistency and quality of all records pressed by overburdening plants, it also obliterates necessary deadlines by overworking everyone in the process from administrators to factory floor workers.

"This day has been rampaged by mostly major label entities producing their absolute worst content in mass numbers and marketing it to people in all the incorrect ways, effectively digging the record industry into deeper holes. Not only that - but is there any proof that the mass hype over RSD produces overall better results throughout the year or overall better sales on other non-RSD titles?

I love the concept, but the only way forward is to kill this monstrosity or impose very strict regulations on who can participate and how because it is heavily crushing the industry for independent labels who just want to make it through on a traditional schedule. Impose strict regulations on who can participate, what kind of releases they can put out, how many copies, what kind of quality, and at what prices. With a strong emphasis on keeping it equal across the board from ultra-minor to ultra-major labels, and on presenting *only* quality records - even helping ultra-minor labels get full scale distribution for this day only.

It is a travesty in its current state and a mockery of what most real labels who actually care about music are doing."

I also hate all the scalpers just buying everything up and trying to take advantage of people. Take last year with the Terminator 2 soundtrack single. Everyone was going crazy even though shed loads were made world wide. People were paying crazy prices for it. But if you managed to stop for a moment there was going to be a release of the full sound track on vinyl for less than what people were being screwed for the single.

Used to love record store day but it's now become a mine field of rubbish to trawl through to find something half decent. If you mange to get something before the scalpers get it.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:27 am

Oh and I'm genuinely happy for anyone who got what they wanted on this crazy day :D

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:40 am

People spending £80+ on records makes me glad I didnt go.

Did nearly pick some up off the market, till I saw how badly scratched they where

stvd

Post by stvd » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:56 am

Forgot this was on Saturday :( although there wasn't much I was after.
What other people spend shouldn't affect anyone else! :?
The most I've spent on vinyl in one trip (not on RSD) is probably about £150.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:00 am

stvd wrote: The most I've spent on vinyl in one trip (not on RSD) is probably about £150.
Thats still a bit to much.
Why not instead of people going to it one day a year, just go to these record stores the other days they are open?

stvd

Post by stvd » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:34 am

DPrinny wrote:
stvd wrote: The most I've spent on vinyl in one trip (not on RSD) is probably about £150.
Thats still a bit to much.
Why not instead of people going to it one day a year, just go to these record stores the other days they are open?
It's not really too much, it's the cost of what I wanted.
And it wasn't spent on Record Store Day, it was on a "normal" day.
I buy less often now but it used to be almost every Friday for 5-6 years.
The amount of limited edition stuff that appears on ebay the day after RSD is shocking.
People seem to queue up to hoover up stuff with the sole intention of flogging it on for a profit.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:37 am

^ISEE.PNG

Yup its the fact of life these days that people looking to sell on for a profit do tend to get stuff first (from concert tickets, to games, to even FCBD comics) did read that in previous years some store owners would keep a few copys for them selfs to flog on Ebay.

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:48 am

RSD does try to impose restrictions, most importantly only allowing a punter a single copy of any release per visit. Granted, there will be unscrupulous stores breaching this rule, purely to get sales in but I think most would abide. Some stores also limit punters to a maximum of 15 purchases at any one visit. Being first in line, though, to get first dibs...Crash in Leeds apparently had a queue forming at midnight....

From comments I have received from a small label (about a single I couldn't get), it does seem that the larger labels force feed the day with much unimportant material, knowing punters will buy 'just because', and as a consequence the small label gets unceremoniously ignored by the participating stores. That attitude I really do despise. New rules/guidelines indeed are required.

Perhaps, all releases should be housed in proper sleeves and not simply a stock label sleeve (a la Brian Wilson - a simple black die-cut sleeve emblazoned with the label name 'Capitol'. That's terribly cheap. All releases should be picture sleeves, or other such that is worthwhile (emblazoned clear sleeve for a picture disc, etc.). Limit stores to a maximum number of copies of each release (the knock-on effect being only a limited number being run-off. After all, in this day and age, is a 'limited run' of 2,000 copies actually a limited run at all? Vinyl sales are still the minority). And major labels should be limited on the number of artists they can issue releases for.

We'll see what happens next time. I remain hopeful, though, of getting my wanted release for this year in the near future. :)

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:05 am

Just as a matter of interest...
Ive been given an oldskool Rotel Record deck in a box, it needs a band to make it run, but it powers up and is in first class condition with all the poly inserts, ive no use for it,is it worth bunging on the sales thread?
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

stvd

Post by stvd » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:21 pm

oldtimer wrote:Just as a matter of interest...
Ive been given an oldskool Rotel Record deck in a box, it needs a band to make it run, but it powers up and is in first class condition with all the poly inserts, ive no use for it,is it worth bunging on the sales thread?
Don't see why not, although I'll be forcing myself not to buy it. :?

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:59 pm

Yeah stick it up i may be interested depending on the model.Have some gaming gubbins i could trade too if that would be preferable.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

ZeroCipher

Post by ZeroCipher » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:57 am

I ended up spending about $60 on 3 items on RSD Mastadon, Stone Sour and Clutch are the releases i picked up.

I was seriously tempted by the Jurassic 5 release but at $75 I had to pass.
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:53 pm

aztecca wrote:

Yeah stick it up i may be interested depending on the model.Have some gaming gubbins i could trade too if that would be preferable.
ok i will dig it out and stick up a picture or two.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Wed May 13, 2015 9:49 am

This Thread sorta rekindled my interest in Vinyl stuff ,so i popped into Rise records today (Indie shop) that sells new Vinyl Lps etc and picked up two new Jamaican Blue beat LPs , , totally blew me away listening to them as im speaking, i forgot how good the blue beat stuff was.