Record Store Day

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

djcarlos

Record Store Day

Post by djcarlos » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:11 am

Anyone else been record shopping today?

Lots of tasty limited editions released in independent record shops today, I went into Brighton at ten to nine this morning to check it out, Rounder Records had a queue round three sides of the square its in, and the other popular one (I can't remember its name) had such a massive queue that they were giving out tickets like a Deli counter.

Couldn't be doing with that so I went to buy a game instead (The Saboteur) and on my way I passed a little place that didn't open til 10 that had about five people hanging round outside. Had a nice little anorakie vinyl conversation with them while waiting, then when the doors opened an orderly queue of people headed for the "Record Store Day" box of 12"s......I waited patiently (just about) and when I got greasy little paws on the box they had one copy of each of the ones I wanted! I think each store up and down the country got one of each release.

My purchases.....

METALLICA/BLACK SABBATH split 12" picture disc (limited to 1000 copies)
QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE 10" picture disc (1000 copies)
THEM CROOKED VULTURES 10" picture disc (500 copies!)

:D

oli_lar

Re: Record Store Day

Post by oli_lar » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:10 am

All the record shops in sheffield seem to be gone now - there used to be several here a couple of years back, now I don't think there is a single one.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:38 am

Only a HMV in Wolves now, there used to be loads of record stores here, afaik there's not a single independant store in the town anymore :(

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:14 am

Action Records here... I wouldnt brave it as would be bedlam!
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:33 am

oli_lar wrote:All the record shops in sheffield seem to be gone now - there used to be several here a couple of years back, now I don't think there is a single one.
The Record Collector in Broom Hill is great independant record shop. Divided into two shops one for vinyl and one for CD's! I go there regularly! :D

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:06 am

IronMaidenRule wrote:
oli_lar wrote:All the record shops in sheffield seem to be gone now - there used to be several here a couple of years back, now I don't think there is a single one.
The Record Collector in Broom Hill is great independant record shop. Divided into two shops one for vinyl and one for CD's! I go there regularly! :D
Ah yes, I forgot about record collector somehow, yes quality shop indeed. I was lamenting the closure of record shops like studio beats that was on west street - not many real places that still do electronica vinyl now a days :?

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:37 am

oli_lar wrote:
IronMaidenRule wrote:
Ah yes, I forgot about record collector somehow, yes quality shop indeed. I was lamenting the closure of record shops like studio beats that was on west street - not many real places that still do electronica vinyl now a days :?
Agreed, record shops only tend to be second hand vinyl now days, it a shame.

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:15 pm

Replay in Bristol was our best music shop, for either vinyl or cd's. There was one near the bus station which was basically just thousands of obscure punk/noise/hardcore stuff, loads of excellent vinyl, and usually where guys from the bands would hang out before gigs too, so it was incredible. Sadly it closed when I was away from Bristol and I never did get to say goodbye to the shop; which may sound odd but a good record store is like a good friend in my opinion.

I do remember a good indie music shop in Sheffield; I spent some time when at Rewind trying to find it but I believe it's gone now. From memory it was in the white building (a pub now? Think it may just have been upstairs) just off the road from the venue car park, on that street connecting the train station to the centre/Hallam uni. I'd spend a few hours in there after coming up from Bristol when I was living in donny, had some awesome stuff in there.

The Master

Post by The Master » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:32 pm

Space_turnip wrote:Replay in Bristol was our best music shop, for either vinyl or cd's. There was one near the bus station which was basically just thousands of obscure punk/noise/hardcore stuff, loads of excellent vinyl, and usually where guys from the bands would hang out before gigs too, so it was incredible.
What was the one up by the triangle? I got all my Stock Hausen & Walkman records from there.
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

flicky

Post by flicky » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:59 pm

Ralph Milne's Left Foot wrote:Action Records here... I wouldnt brave it as would be bedlam!

Is that Action Records in Preston? I went in briefly at lunchtime today and it was surprisingly quiet (must have missed the rush) .. lots of great stuff there though, I must go back another day when I have more time and take a proper look.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:15 pm

Theres a few in Manchester.
Didnt get the chance to go to any, but its not like I have money to spend on albums other wise I would of

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:13 pm

The Master wrote:
Space_turnip wrote:Replay in Bristol was our best music shop, for either vinyl or cd's. There was one near the bus station which was basically just thousands of obscure punk/noise/hardcore stuff, loads of excellent vinyl, and usually where guys from the bands would hang out before gigs too, so it was incredible.
What was the one up by the triangle? I got all my Stock Hausen & Walkman records from there.

There was another replay on Park street just before the Triangle, I think it speciallised in Vinyl more so than the other so that could be it. I don't think there's any other record shops left up there now, mainly just more expensive clothes shops :?

Thinking about it there was another excellent record shop up there, but the name totally escapes me. I want to say Revolver but I think that's wrong.

lanky316

Post by lanky316 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:22 pm

You're all lucky, in the 26 years we've lived here, with exception of a tiny Game in the last 5/6 we've never had any form of entertainment shops here. A large plot became available... We get a Clinton Cards megastore... BUGGERS!

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:55 pm

Space_turnip wrote:
I do remember a good indie music shop in Sheffield; I spent some time when at Rewind trying to find it but I believe it's gone now. From memory it was in the white building (a pub now? Think it may just have been upstairs) just off the road from the venue car park, on that street connecting the train station to the centre/Hallam uni. I'd spend a few hours in there after coming up from Bristol when I was living in donny, had some awesome stuff in there.
I think you are on about the one that was next to the Howard pub, its up a flight of stairs yeah. I think that has closed down now or is only trading on special occasions, I seem to remmeber hearing of it being open one day recently.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:03 pm

There was a great record shop in Birmingham called Tempest records it has been there since the 60's.Seen on the news the other day it was closing down :( I used to love trawling the record shops in Birmingham on a Saturday before i got into collecting games.There were some great indie record shops The plastic factory,Tempest,Reddingtons rare records,Summit and Don Christies sadly Tempest is the last one and thats closing now.There is a small indie record shop on Smallbrook queensway but i just think they do 2nd hand vinyl now.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink: