The most disgusting drink..

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mire Mare

The most disgusting drink..

Post by Mire Mare » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:02 pm

Reading the verbal beating that Stella Artois is getting in the Stella vs Kronenbourg thread got me thinking about the worst drink I've ever had the misfortune of drinking and seeing as our fine forum has a penchant for random topics.. .. ..

There is one particular drink that I will never forget nor will it ever pass my lips again. But first the second least pleasant drink I've tried and that has to be Strega.

Strega, meaning Witch, is an Italian herbal liqueur the colour of early morning urine after a night of drinking, well, probably a bottle of Stregga. As an aperitif or digestif it is foulness with a hint of syrupy sweetness. I have managed to drink it in company where it would have been rude not to and I have a bottle downstairs that I like to ply unsuspecting dinner guests with. Always a giggle that is.

But Strega is liquid gold compared to this...

Unicum (ooni-combe phonetically) is from Hungary and it is the single most vile and revolting drink I have ever tasted. Think of Ford and Arthur's reaction a few moments after drinking a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster and you will understand the viciousness with which this drink assaults your taste buds. Unlike the reaction to a PGGB however the reaction from drinking Unicum happens the instant it touches your lips. In fact, before that, your nostrils are protesting of GBH from what you think could be a caustic vapour and the smell of burning hair rising from the tiny amount of dark liquid in your glass. Surely not? If your brain doesn't tell you not to put any of this into your mouth by this point it will soon tell you to remove it when you do. A cocktail of creosote and tarmac laced with sulphur and with a hint of bromine has that kind of effect on a person and that description is putting things mildly. Later you'll be looking in the bathroom mirror, whilst cleaning your teeth for the tenth time trying to remove the evil taste that still lingers in your mouth, and you'll realise that the smell of burning hair was not the Unicum but your very own, now singed, nostril hairs.

If you're a brave sort that likes a tipple of something a bit different then check out Unicum. Go on.. .. .. I DARE YA!

Anyone else already tried Unicum? Any other revolting drinks to add? Alcoholic or otherwise.

sscott

Re: The most disgusting drink..

Post by sscott » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:04 pm

Gin.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:09 pm

Probably going to be in a huge minority here but I absolutely hate Carling, can't stand the stuff.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:11 pm

^Well, if it's a minority, there's at least two of us. :wink:

Nienna

Post by Nienna » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:12 pm

Too be honest I think all beers and lagers are the most foul smelling and tasting drinks on earth. The slightest wiff makes me want to puke. I can't think of anything as bad and would happily try anything else.
As quoted by Mike Wilson: plz join my group i need justice for my son!! Just join my group and pass it on n so on!! plz help me and most of all help Liam get justice http://www.facebook.com/pages/Justice-f ... 9196440290

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:12 pm

sscott wrote:Gin.
Gin is one of my favorite spirits on a summers day.Is a bit girly asking for a G&T though in a rough pub though.The worst drink i ever tasted was my dads hombrewed Marrow wine.Now that was fuckin awful not particularly strong but the taste was indescribable.
The strongest drink i ever drank was some 90% absinthe type drink i had whilst in Ibiza a few years back.I am pretty sure if you drunk a bottle of that you would go blind.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:14 pm

I bought a banana beer in Tescos one time. Yeah, won't be doing that again.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Any and all alcoholic drinks other than whiskey/bourbon and sake/atsukan. Can't understand the pleasure of drinking something that tastes censored-weak and/or wretched, giving no long-lasting and satisfying after taste. Give me a damn fine dram or a plentiful sakazuki anyday.

No doubt some of you are wondering what the hell a sakazuki is. It's a small, flat dish that sake (or, indeed, and preferably for me, the heated variety atsukan) is traditionally imbibed from. And if anyone cares to try, you'll find that atsukan gets into your system far faster than anything else you have probably had and in no time at all can leave you absolutely plastered without even trying. I haven't let myself suffer such ignominity but have certainly been witness to it happening.

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:25 pm

Back at uni we bought some Spicy Chilli Pepper or something like that, flavoured Vodka......it was so nasty, the housemate or party guest who had been the biggest tw@t had to drink it!

clarance

Post by clarance » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:32 pm

All drink is lovely.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

The Master

Post by The Master » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:33 pm

I want some of that Unicum now.
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:35 pm

You ever tried Bombat Sapphire? It's almost like drinking nothing and you get smashed, pretty much the only spirit I'll drink.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

MC1

Post by MC1 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:36 pm

Bombay Sapphire is lovely, I agree!

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:40 pm

Thirded.

Bombay Saphire should NOT be mentioned within this thread, it's great!
That's 3 guys, just relaxing......having a gin! :)

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:41 pm

The Angry Jock wrote:
You ever tried Bombat Sapphire? It's almost like drinking nothing and you get smashed, pretty much the only spirit I'll drink.
Haven't, more a vodka person. At Retro Rewind in a fortnight make sure I stay well away from the stuff, at least until the evening! :)