Which TV Channel has the most Innovative Programmes?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

bonerlaw

Which TV Channel has the most Innovative Programmes?

Post by bonerlaw » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:37 pm

There is so much plagiarism in tv nowadays! Everytime a channel comes up with a new idea for a show, ITV <cough>, sorry I meant other channels always seem to copy them!

In my opinion, Channel 4 has the most innovative programming, and also some of the best shows (Come Dine With Me is legendary!) closely followed by the Beeb.

Any thoughts?

nokgod

Re: Which TV Channel has the most Innovative Programmes?

Post by nokgod » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:56 pm

Dunno really...i don't watch much TV, but when i do...i always seem to be drawn to FX for some reason.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:43 pm

TV channels dont innovate - they commission programmes that are slight variations on proven winners in order to garner ratings. Sad, but that's the truth of it. Only the BBC has a bit of wiggle room on this - seeing as they not driven by selling adverts - but in the end they dont use that freedom very much.

The actually people who do the commissioning - the commissioing editors - are a timid breed

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:56 pm

Agree with the above ^

I haven't actually watched anything on ITV for years. I dislike the channel and have ever since celebrities became the be all and end all of it's schedule.

The BBC for me still has the most interesting programmes. Innovative - maybe not. But For it's documentary output alone (which is of a high quality - witness the 2 new Sunday night ones, the Solar System and Tropic of Cancer, both superb) it'll always be the best. Far too much celebrity crap on the BBC now as well though.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:03 pm

I'd agree with Channel 4 or certainly they used to.
Splink!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:23 pm

Television X
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:35 pm

id have to say out the terrestrial 5, channal 4, more so from the past, still a huge fan of Ultraviolet, shame they didnt have the balls to commision another series, far supirior to all this true blood/twilight/vampire diaries tosh.

But seeing as Antiriad lowered the tone, Id second opt Babestation, nothing like a sozzled brain, a buy one get one free pizza and watching some half-decent estate trash shaking her "ass" for the camera at 3 am lol
Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:47 pm

It is BBC 4 for me. Great documentaries about science, music, then Charlie Brooker's stuff etc. BBC 2 used to be good but is getting towards slim pickings these days.

Its quite interesting when you look into the reasons why BBC has declined in quality over the last 10-15 years. Since Greg Dyke brought in 'modernisation' and the quest for 'value for money' on tv license money. Scrimping obviously means saving money by cutting out experimental, innovative programming - thus rehashes of old programs like that dancing on whatever stuff.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:52 pm

ITV and BBC p!ss me off no end. X Factor and Strictly every sodding year followed by Dancing on Ice. Great programming (not).
The documentary channels like Nat Geo, Discovery, History and Military channels are the best.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Nienna

Post by Nienna » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:35 pm

Mostly watch C4 at the moment but I go through stages with them.
As quoted by Mike Wilson: plz join my group i need justice for my son!! Just join my group and pass it on n so on!! plz help me and most of all help Liam get justice http://www.facebook.com/pages/Justice-f ... 9196440290

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:56 pm

Space_turnip wrote:.....The BBC for me still has the most interesting programmes. Innovative - maybe not. But For it's documentary output alone (which is of a high quality - witness the 2 new Sunday night ones, the Solar System and Tropic of Cancer, both superb) .....
In the unlikely event that I have access to the TV (Wife & offspring often hold the remote to ransom), I have to say that the BBC fills up my Sky+ planner. 'The Solar System' is an example of the high quality that the BBC continues to put out on occasions.
It will be a shame when eventually the calls for a scrapping of the License Fee come to fruition and the BBC becomes yet another revenue driven broadcaster filling the airwaves with adverts and lower quality programming.
Their privileged position allows them to take risks that other broadcasters won't or can't, it's good to see this when it happens.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:03 pm

Watch a lot of BBC4, they have some good stuff (inc. the great Newswipe), mainly watch through iPlayer, BBC 2 have a great program on the Solar System at the moment, my second passion.

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:21 pm

Timothy Lumsden wrote:TV channels dont innovate - they commission programmes that are slight variations on proven winners in order to garner ratings. Sad, but that's the truth of it. Only the BBC has a bit of wiggle room on this - seeing as they not driven by selling adverts - but in the end they dont use that freedom very much.

The actually people who do the commissioning - the commissioing editors - are a timid breed
Wow, good point well made!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:29 pm

Beeb 2. of the terrestrial , but Sky One has it's moments with some entertaining US shows like Lost , BSG , Caprica , 24 , Deadwood etc. ITV is terrible , the only thing worth watching is footie and then only if in hi-def (which it's possible to get via a Sky box with some wrangling)
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:35 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Television X
Pffft! :roll:

Babestation is far better! (and free)