PS1 cable help!

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Nintendo&Sega

PS1 cable help!

Post by Nintendo&Sega » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:34 pm

Hope someone can help with a psx problem as it's driving me around the bend!

It's a universal machine but for some reason all non PAL games are displayed in black in white.

At first I thought it may have been the cable (bog standard composite to scart adapter) so I tried a Scart cable by Madcatz (it's a multi-console cable and has a switch at the side for 'AV' and 'RGB') but still no joy.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? I can't put it down to the TV as US DVD's play fine.

Thank you in advance!

speedlolita

Re: PS1 cable help!

Post by speedlolita » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:42 pm

If you have a PlayStation and it's before the model 7003 (I think) it won't have the hardware to decode NTSC colour. However, an RGB SCART cable - like you have - will do so.

Now, composite will display in colour - but the RGB SCART should work perfectly. Those SCART cables with the switch seem a bit dodgy to me - so you should just get a new cable.

My Sony trade show console displays everything properly via composite despite being practically an SCPH-1002 and being PAL. Oha lucky~

:lol:
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Nintendo&Sega

Post by Nintendo&Sega » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:46 pm

Thanking you kindly speedlolita :D ; looks like I know what's next on my shopping list!

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:55 pm

I had the very same problem a long time ago, and I thought it was my TV. Until I plugged it into my 40" LCD and it was still in B&W. :lol:

Then some research led me to the answer.

You're best off paying about a fiver for an RGB SCART in the UK than £2.50 for one that may or may not be RGB from HK btw. :D
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Nintendo&Sega

Post by Nintendo&Sega » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:51 pm

speedlolita sorry for the rather prolonged delay in response but just wanted to thank you for the advice! :wink:

Never did I think a simple cable could ever bring so much joy :D