Christmas Day Plans - Reveal Them Here

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

roberthazelby

Christmas Day Plans - Reveal Them Here

Post by roberthazelby » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:39 am

I'm a nosey bugger, and want to know what you'll all be up to on the big day.

So, spill the beans!

I'll go first...

Will probably get up around 9am and will no doubt feel like complete sh*te after a heavy Christmas Eve drinking session.

After breakfast (about 10ish) I'll wander the mile or so up to my parents house for the great present unwrapping session, followed by lunch.

The afternoon will be spent at their place, so am taking my DS (I've treated myself to Advance Wars, and have asked for Meteos from my brother) and iPod video to help pass the time.

All in all, a nice lazy day with daft amounts of food and drink, coupled with a good session of handheld gaming.

So, what are you up to?

AdamDawes

Post by AdamDawes » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:19 am

Looking forward to enjoying my little boy's first Christmas. I'm hoping to find some of the Christmas magic that disappeared with the end of childhood.

Other than that, I've nothing specific planned. :)

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:58 am

Most probably I'll be waking up with two hairy pussies (cats you pervs!) at my parent's place then participate in the unwrapping of the gifts (book now, some seats are still available).

Then, after this fiasco..tradition is complete, I'll be wondering how much stuff I can put on a 4gig card for my PSP and play that while having a chunk of fluff slumber away on my lap.

After enjoying a lunch which feels like it will take six months to full digest, it's back on the sofa playing on the PSP with the chunk of fluff going back to her righful place.

All in all, not a bad day.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:33 am

Get up around 9am, open pressies, plug in XBox360 (yes it's here!), get taxi to parents, open their pressies, eat dinner, get taxi back, flick through tv channels, realise there is nothing decent on (unless you love Corrie), switch XBox360 on, eat choccies, bed.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:08 am

The in-laws are coming to ours for Christmas dinner, so Saturday will be spent making our hovel spotless for fear her mother should snipe.

Christmas day itself will be spent running round after them and the kids.

All in all, I'll be looking forward to Boxing Day when its all over and I can relax again.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:26 am

Beer.
Relatives will feature at some point.
As will socks no doubt.
The main forecast though - beer.

sparky

Post by sparky » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:55 am

Probably get up about 06:00 with the kids, open their presents and play with them (well you have to join in). Get round to opening mine sometime in the morning.

Go for a run (about 6 miles) to build up an appetite. :wink:

Round the outlaws for lunch and the veg out for the rest of the day.

Drink Brandy and Coke and Red Bull & Vodka.

Kaptain_Von

Post by Kaptain_Von » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:32 am

Let's see:

4am: Woken by Mrs Von and daughter singing jingle bells and demanding to open presents.

4.01: Mutter something about fatal consequences of singing jingle bells at 4am to a man who has probably had a few beers with the next door neighbours on Christmas Eve.

4.02: Give in.

7.30am: Get own presents. Wonder why dotty great aunt has sent a jumper so multicoloured even Noel Edmonds would be offended.

8am: Have hand up turkeys a**e attempting to do something with giblets and chestnut and cranberry stuffing.

8.30am onwards: Kaptain_Von goes into Gordon Ramsay sweary mode as he attempts to whip up a feast fit for whoever is coming for dinner.

11.30am: Having lost a fight with Brussels sprouts, Kaptain_Von reverts to Keith Floyd p***head mode and downs best part of a bottle of very good Rioja.

12.30pm: Swear at a parsnip.

1.15pm: Serve lunch, attempt not to fall over having downed the pudding wine after a particularly vicious run-in with a stuffing ball.

2.45pm: Slump in chair.

2.46pm: Daughter, stuffed full of selection box chocolates supplied by grandparents and now exceedingly hyperactive jumps on Kaptain_Von.

2.55pm: Fall asleep having velcroed daughter to Christmas tree.

....and the reality ? Probably having a great time trying to make sure my daughter remembers Christmases just like I do.
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

Morkin

Re:

Post by Morkin » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:18 am

Kaptain_Von wrote:
2.55pm: Fall asleep having velcroed daughter to Christmas tree.
Hehe. I like the sound of that. I wonder if it would work with my sister-in-law. :lol: :lol: :lol:

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:29 pm

I'll probably be woken at some stupid time in the morning by the kids wanting to open their presents.

Will spend the morning helping the girlfriend make christmas dinner (well, I say helping, more like getting in the way).

After lunch, kids will be playing with what they've got this year (or in the case of my girlfriend's eldest daughter, moaning that we haven't got her an iPod!). I'll no doubt be roped into doing the washing up.

Hopefully I'll have 5 minutes peace so I can read Retro Gamer 19 which I've asked for as my only xmas pressie this year.

(Oh, and maybe get fed up with the kids arguing about who wants to play what on the Gamecube and stick Mame on the XBOX and show them what proper games are!)

Rob

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:39 pm

Hmmm -

Get up after one of the kids has jumped on the bed (landing where they always do) :shock: Around 6am.

Open SOME of there prezzies (5 kids = LOTS of prezzies) :?

Pack all family into car by 9am

Drive for 2 hours to Littlehampton (in laws) :(

Eat BIG undercooked veggies and horrid DRY turkey :evil:

Fall asleep on sofa for 2 hours

Get woken by one of the kids jumping on me (landing where they always do) :shock: again :shock: :shock:

Get all back into car

Drive for 2 hours back to Poole

Veg in front of tv

Say Hi to you lot on here :D

Bed - ready for work on Boxing day :cry:

Oh - BTW - the above day (xmas day) is my ONLY day off for the next 2 weeks :cry:

Happy Christmas :twisted:

beesty

Post by beesty » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:56 pm

i am taking a course in english lit
hopefully my comments will look ok for all the egg heads
the c64 was king,and the speccy,and the amiga,and,,,,,ooh u know the rest

Mort

Post by Mort » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:56 pm

Usual Nomadic lifestyle over Christmas,

10am Drag myself out of bed with a hangover from Christmas Eve, open my C64dtv (pal version) and have a few blasts on Uridium (know its this as I bought it for me!) and also My Krafwerk Minimum Maximum Notebook dvd and cd set AUTOBAHN :-)

Midday, Cycle over to my M8 BigBytes for Christmas lunch with his wife, watch their cats play havoc with the Christmas Tree and paper drink more and eat a whole lot more.

6pm Cycle home and meet Darren for a Christmas round of Golf on the Xbox and then drink some more and decided which James Bond Dvd to watch!

12pm get some sleep

Boxing Day get some scanning done! and make some Turkey Curry with a doggie bag from John`s :wink:
Blast another coupon missing, what`s on ebay!

Hungry Horace

Post by Hungry Horace » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:40 am

I'm lucky enough to live a 5 minute drive from my parents, so descending on them like a locust for Christmas seems the best choice.

Of course, this does mean having to run the gauntlet of other relatives who are converging there this year, so peace will be at a premium.

I'm going to stay for the two days, so already have a plan for Xmas day and Boxing day, and have picked up the goods beforehand.

Xmas day
- Arrive, get manhandled by probably already tipsy Aunties and get told 'how I've grown'. Despite being 30 and the same height for the last decade.
-Help with Xmas lunch to get away from the madness.
-The afternoon and evening will be the finest part. I have a chair in the corner of the lounge reserved that lets me catch a gaze at the TV (if anything decent is on). Nintendo DS Nintendogs and Advance Wars DS for me; both waiting and still factory sealed. Have been saving them for 2 weeks. HUUUUUGE tubs of Heroes and Celebrations. Several bottles of decent ale.
-Aunties will probably hijack DS to make stupid 'awww' noises at the dogs after hearing me yelling at the game and regretting calling my dog 'Tits'.

Boxing day
-Due to said Aunties (also staying at parent's house) probably still having the DS, I am also taking my Laptop. No longer cutting edge, but I do have Speccy and Amiga emulators and games on it, and am planning to get in some serious retro joy.
-Monopoly. It's not Xmas without monopoly. I can guarantee that one reletive or another will manage to fall asleep at the table. HOW they manage this escapes me utterly.
Get your own Gamercard Sig.

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:42 am

I'll be leading a church service in the morning, and then straight after myself, wife and kids will bundle into the car and drive for a couple of hours until we reach my parents' house.

Then I'll spend all day clearing up after the children, missing my PC and PS2 and bemoaning the fact that people have bought me shirts and stuff rather than just give me the cash.

I'll still have a nice time though because...well, because it's Christmas.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian