Is there any point in keeping CDs?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Bub&Bob

Is there any point in keeping CDs?

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:27 am

I have a reasonable CD collection but im just not sure its worth keeping.

All of my CD's have been ripped to WMA and iTunes.
I never listen to CD's at home - I dont have a decent HiFi so wont get the benefit of sound quality if I did.
I never listen to CD's in my car - I use a usb stick.
All my CD's just sit in boxes wasting space.

I doubt many (if any) will be worth anything significant in years to come, unlike some viynl.

Obviously, there is a risk of loosing my ripped music - ive currently got all of it on an external hard drive and most also burned to DVD.

So, what are your thoughts people?
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

psj3809

Re: Is there any point in keeping CDs?

Post by psj3809 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:30 am

All my best CD's are now all ripped, havent played a cd in a long long time. In my car i dont play the originals (in case they get scratched/nicked) but mostly because i do compilation cd's all the time for the car.

Do like seeing all the albums/singles of my favourite band up on my shelf but yeah its weird really as i dont really play the cd's ! Dont play them on the computer or the stereo in the lounge

I will buy the cd's from my favourite bands still (dont like just electronic downloads) but the rest of the cd's are just gathering dust.

MediaCult

Post by MediaCult » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:31 am

Booklet and artwork in physical form is something else than just having it as a file. Same case with games. And especially vinyl.
MobyGames profile: http://www.mobygames.com/user/sheet/userSheetId,131075/
PSN/Microsoft/Wii U/STEAM nickname: MediaCult (feel free to add me).

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:35 am

I'm thinking the same thing at the moment to be honest. I've not listened to an actual CD for close on 2 years, bar ripping a few after I buy them. In fact I dont think i've actually used any of my CD's other than 1 time I need to rip them for the last 6 or 7 years. There's 6 big boxes stuffed with CD's in my mums loft and I just don't see why I need to keep them anymore. Especially with things like Spotify around.

I'm the same as you though with the only reason i'm not getting shot of the lot of them being the risk of losing them. They are all on an external HDD, and most are backed up on discs, but there's still that nagging feeling that somehow I might end up losing stuff.

Saying all that, I do have some CD's that are reasonably valuable - either through scarcity or for sentimental reasons. ANd because most of the music I like is not on major labels, there's perhaps always people out there willing to spend some money on them.

I say try and sell most of the CD's, keeping just the ones that mean more than just being a likeable album. It's what i'm going to do.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:35 am

Kept mine.Why throw them out?.its always good to go back to the originals in case the hardware fails..
Last edited by Fred83 on Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:01 pm

Besides hardware defaults and sentimentality... Nah, I'll never get rid of mine. Too much of a hoarder. Probably around 600 in my room at the moment.

It's that Last.fm thing that's the problem, it's compulsive stuff! You know how it charts what bands you listen to the most? It's gotten to the point where I'll rip a CD as soon as I buy it, so that it doesn't affect my charts :oops:
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:14 pm

I must admit I feel a bit of a granddad on the commuter train these days with my MP3/CD player! I still use CDs now and then in the car and at home, mainly as I don't have upto date technology to play mp3s on a stereo. I like having the cases and inlays.

I still get albums, but singles collecting died a long time ago for me. I'll hang on to my albums though.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:34 pm

Plus there is the legal stand point, you should only have a digial copy if you own the CD. Unless it was a digial download. I would get rid off them, its always best to have more than one backup
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:36 pm

I was thinking the same thing a few weeks ago when my iTunes library boned itself and lost half of my songs :?

I'll be keeping them for now, but I don't buy many CD's anyway :) most of mine are MP3's

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:42 pm

All my CDs are boxed away and are ripped to mp3/wma, I just wouldn't have the room to have them all on shelves... according to Winamp I have over 3000 induvidual albums, granted theres a few albums in the collection that are next to impossible to find on a real CD so iTunes helps in that respect, and all my vinyl stuff is in the collection too, so I would think my actual CDs come in at about 2950

When I buy a CD tho, I'll play it quite a few times before ripping it, otherwise I never feel like I'm getting my moneys worth

Tapey297

Post by Tapey297 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:49 pm

I always keep my CD's as I have a good stereo system I can tell the quality difference once ripped. If I want to sit and properly listen to music, CD wins as for background music, listeming through headphones the MP3's are more convenient.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:49 pm

rocky1980 wrote:Plus there is the legal stand point, you should only have a digial copy if you own the CD. Unless it was a digial download. I would get rid off them, its always best to have more than one backup
Legal standpoint ?! You'll be telling me next you own every single game on every emulator you use !

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:03 pm

Keep 'em; One day you will regret getting rid of them.

Got close to 1000 in my collection, including a few worldwide rarities which will no doubt be worth something in time to come. And by that time, regardless of newer technology, I'll still be playing CD's. :)

Vir_Lucis

Post by Vir_Lucis » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:05 pm

SexyWayne wrote:so I would think my actual CDs come in at about 2950
Just the thought of blowing around £15,000 - £20,000 on CDs makes me feel ill :shock:
Future Conscience: What do we want to be? - A futurist blog exploring technology, society and ethics @FutureCon

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:10 pm

What can I say??, apart from my kids, music is the next most important thing in my life.... then games :lol: recently I've slowed down I'll buy at least 3 or 4 new CDs per month it used to be 3 or 4 per week, personally I blame Last.FM for introducing me to new bands everyday :lol: there are a load of unheard of bands out there that deserve the attention