The Star Wars thread

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Re: The Star Wars thread

Post by psj3809 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:30 am

oldtimer wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:40 am
Hopefully the Mandalorian will be shown on other channels or available on DVD/Download at some point as i really cant justify paying for another TV channel at the moment, especially just for one series that im interested in.
Just sign up for one month. Worth just £5.99 to watch all the episodes of the mandalorian

Season 1 was great. So far season 2 has been even better

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:31 am

Shinobi wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:06 pm
oldtimer wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:40 am
Hopefully the Mandalorian will be shown on other channels or available on DVD/Download at some point as i really cant justify paying for another TV channel at the moment, especially just for one series that im interested in.
The first series is available to buy as I saw it in Sainsburys.
Is it really out ? Can’t find it on Amazon and most sites seem to be saying May 2021 release date ?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:35 am

Just download it. You want to buy it, they won't sell you it = no guilt.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:13 am

Don’t know why he doesn’t get Disney just for a month to get it

Well worth the price of just one month !

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:13 am

Don’t know why he doesn’t get Disney just for a month to get it

Well worth the price of just one month !

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:58 am

Don't Disney do a month free trial?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:17 am

Think they used to. But either way i would just sign up for a month and for £6 watch season 1 and 2 of Mando. Amazing series

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:43 am

Wont ruin it for anyone

But WOW. Loved the season finale of the Mandalorian

Be careful of Facebook and other sites, dont let it ruin it!

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:07 am

Cancel culture takes down Gina Carrano, essentially underlining the point she was fired for making. Good on her standing her ground against the bullies, the irony of LucasFilm doing this is staggering. Probably won't watch any new Star Wars now, pathetic decision by a increasingly disappointing company.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:30 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gina_Carano
(Scroll to "Social media and political views")
Seems like a knee jerk reaction, she said some stuff
On Wednesday, Carano was trending on social media after The Mandalorian shared a post inferring that being a Republican today is like being Jewish during the Holocaust.
Yikes, so its like being put in a camp and gassed?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:57 am

pratty wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:07 am
Cancel culture takes down Gina Carrano, essentially underlining the point she was fired for making. Good on her standing her ground against the bullies, the irony of LucasFilm doing this is staggering. Probably won't watch any new Star Wars now, pathetic decision by a increasingly disappointing company.
I've had a look to see what shes said, IF its true what shes written and posted i can see why Disney have got rid of her. I hate it that all because someones on TV they think they can spout crap on social media all because they have a lot of fans. If i left my Facebook open and my employers could read what i posted and i wrote similar crap they would have a chat with me for sure. If my employers were a huge company like Disney then yeah would expect to get the boot.

A large corporate company cant have someone writing crap like that, just obvious

@DPrinny - Might be a knee jerk reaction but large companies have to make decisions like this

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:24 am

DPrinny wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:30 am
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gina_Carano
(Scroll to "Social media and political views")
Seems like a knee jerk reaction, she said some stuff
On Wednesday, Carano was trending on social media after The Mandalorian shared a post inferring that being a Republican today is like being Jewish during the Holocaust.
Yikes, so its like being put in a camp and gassed?
No, not what she said. Forget Wikipedia's or anyone else's biased, hysterical, leading interpretation, read her post yourself and decide if she deserves to be vilified and fired. In my opinion it's worth bearing in mind the heroes in Star Wars were the rebels.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:31 am

I get your point, she said...

"Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbours … even by children … Because history is edited, most people today don’t realise that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbours hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views."

If i said something like that no one would give a monkeys, might get a few comments on Facebook from friends saying its stupid. If i'm an actress in a big TV series for a huge corporation then you simply cant say stuff like that. Theres hating for someone for their political views and then hating someone for being jewish, beating them up, rounding them up and sending them to a concentration camp. I would never compare the two ever

As one article said...

"In response, commenters said it was offensive to compare political divisions and rancor with the state-engineered systematic killing of millions of Jews and other people. " - totally agree with this.

As with many things the second something bad happens and you say 'its similar to what jews went through in World War II' isn't good and will get a backlash. I'm not surprised a huge corporation like Disney have acted like this.

Plus other crap shes said, about having to wear masks etc and how Jeffrey Epstein was murdered. I just dont get it, good paying job yet just spout silly censored on Twitter etc. Granted she hasnt gone crazy and killed anyone but we all know that you cant just spout rubbish on social media if you're famous

If you're famous and you have lots of followers and a huge platform its obvious you have to tow the company line and be nice/good and dont say anything controversial. if not stuff like this happens, obvious

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:52 am

Surely Carano was comparing the tactic of demonisation and suggesting how persecution begins, rather than comparing the lived experiences of Jews and whoever else.

But regardless it was brave/foolish to publically speak her mind honestly. It get it, she put a principle before her personal well being, good on her for not simply going along to get along with the online outrage mob.
Clearly Disney and LucasFilm disagree though, maybe Luke should have just stayed on his sand farm and kept his head down, would have saved him losing a hand, what an idiot.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:54 am

I can kinda see both sides but if you're in the public eye you just have to keep quiet on a lot of matters. To be fair when she did (Black Lives Matter) she was then moaned at for not speaking out. But again when a celeb gives out stupid advice or stuff on having to wear a mask and other things like Jeffrey Epstein then i'm not surprised when a huge corporate company want to disassociate them from her.

Any other large company would do the same