The Star Wars thread

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

psj3809

Re: The Star Wars thread

Post by psj3809 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:34 am

BRADLEY TUCKER wrote:The Star Wars Expanded Universe encompasses all of the officially licensed, fictional background of the Star Wars universe, outside of the six feature films produced by George Lucas.
I HATE spammers but i must admit i love the EU. The clone wars series has been up and down this season, still great to get a 20 minute program to watch every saturday morning though. Been reading a fair few of the EU novels, currently reading Star Wars Legacy (set 150 years after Star Wars featuring one of Lukes distant relatives). Its very good.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:54 pm

And now The Clone Wars is long gone, leaving Ahsoka Tano as one of the great Star Wars characters. It also featured a young Saw Gerrera, years before appearing in Rogue One

Rebels is going interesting places too, I see we have more guest stars appearing soon :D
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:17 pm

Anybody else picked up any of the Bandai figure kits, I've got Vader, a Stormtrooper, Boba Fett, Kylo Ren and R2 and R5, they don't take that long to put together and I think they fit in with other Star Wars figures in that scale?
Splink!

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:45 pm

I have a huge collection of figures from the 90s/00s - problem was, I was naive at the time and took almost all of them out of their boxes. I shudder to think what the collection might sell for now, given that I don't have any interest in keeping them.

My favourite line was the Expanded Universe range of about 8 figures which included characters from Dark Forces, the Timothy Zahn novels and so on. I also loved the Shadows of the Empire range.

I'm keeping all the boxed stuff, plus all the Sith/Jedi/force-using figures. Got a few other cool things, including some signed stuff (mostly Jeremy Bulloch - he signed loads of things in return for me and my friend being interviewed on German radio by, I think, his German daughter-in-law!), so I'll put some pics up when I get the chance. I'm slowly clearing out the rest of my collection of figures - if anyone wants to take them off my hands, let me know.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:01 pm

gunna just post to keep track of the thread. also who's a better villian vader or kylo I say kylo he's more human
This guy are sick

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:21 pm

stayAwhile wrote:gunna just post to keep track of the thread. also who's a better villian vader or kylo I say kylo he's more human
Vader - because of what he did in Rogue One! :D

Kylo has potential though.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:55 pm

So far Kylo has been a big girl's blouse and would be a disappointment to his grandad. Hopefully they'll sort that out for episode 8, much like Luke was a whiny brat for most of episode 4 and moved on from that.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:35 pm

Katzkatz wrote:
stayAwhile wrote:gunna just post to keep track of the thread. also who's a better villian vader or kylo I say kylo he's more human
Vader - because of what he did in Rogue One! :D

Kylo has potential though.
I need to see rogue one i also wanna see the other spin off stuff like the ewok movies,lego movies,the clone wars film and series and the dreaded holiday speical
This guy are sick

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:32 pm

My youngest has eventually got round to watching Star Wars Must be some sort of mid life crisis thing or something. Anyway, surprisingly she found A New Hope boring but could see past that to the impressive design and effects work for the day, liked The Empire Strikes Back more, then most of all liked Return of the Jedi! I'm no Ewok hater, but 6,5, 4 is an unusualy order of preference. She watched The Phantom Menace yesterday and liked it!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:22 pm

Katzkatz wrote:I saw Star Wars on ITV on its original UK broadcast in 1982 - and everyone was talking about it the next day at primary school. I was allowed to stay up late to watch it on the Sunday night. I then got my Dad to video it on to Betamax when it was shown again(sometime in 1983). I remember re-watching it quite a few times on that format.

I was taken to the cinema to see Return of the Jedi on its original release. It was the first film that I ever saw in the cinema. It was at the old Regal Cinema in Deal, in Kent. I did like it at the time. I even got the special pamphlet for the film, which featured all the new vehicles(the B-Wings, etc.) and characters(like the band in Jabba's hut).

I got to see The Empire Strikes Back the following year. In those days, cinema chains would often show old movies or fairly new ones, the following year or so on - remember video recorders were still in their infancy and we only had four channels in the UK. Different times.

I did get to watch the Special Editions in the cinema. They were okay - I suppose it was good to see that the old films had been restored some what. The extra scenes(apart from Jabba and Han) don't really add much.

I did watch the prequels in the cinema. I did wait however, after all the queues had died down. I suppose Revenge of the Sith has a few decent things going for it.

I did get to see The Force Awakens in the cinema. Sadly, non IMAX - as I think the UK only got one proper IMAX film print of that, and the London Science Museum showcased it. I'd loved to have have it in that format. Instead of which, I saw it in a pretty decent multiplex and in 3D. The 3D doesn't really add much. It's okay - I can see why they sort of did the story the way they did, as it's more an origin story. I just hope that the future films have something different to add to the SW universe.

I did get to see Rogue One in IMAX. Yeah, this had the "edge" that was sort of lacking in The Force Awakens. I really liked it. I would like to go and re-watch it. It was good to see another side to the SW universe. This rag tag motley crew of characters. I can sort of see a film about the bounty hunters in the SW universe(I think there are rumours of a Boba Fett one) as being interesting.

I did have a few of the toys as a kid.

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:47 pm

Never saw the originals at the cinema, parents promised me but never took me, still haven't forgiven them, seriously!

So first time I saw it was on that Sunday in 82, ESTB and ROTJ were then seen on video years later.

I did see SW in the cinema when the Special Editions came out, didn't bother about the the other 2. Have seen all the others in the pictures since, best bit for me in PM is the sabre battle at the end, AOTC maybe the Yoda fight? dunno, in ROTS there is one scene that stands out for me that I like and it is this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hoXNXSpmng

So minimalist in terms of acting but you sure get the emotions and the music is just superb.

TFA for me was the Star Wars film that we needed, not the one that we wanted.

As for Rogue One, I have some 'observations' but I don't want to spoil it for those who've yet to see it.

As for the toys, I had a few figures 'back in the day' and a speeder bike, all sadly lost but I do have a Master Replica Darth Vader Sabre signed by David Prowse and a chap called Norman Harrison...

He's the chap whose company made the sabres and other bits (C3PO, the Falcon and other bits n bobs).

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:34 pm

yakmag wrote:Never saw the originals at the cinema, parents promised me but never took me, still haven't forgiven them, seriously!
In a similar vein, my sister got to see Grease several times in the cinema (it was showing around the same time - reels used to take months to make their way to Aberdeen so Star Wars wasn't here until 1978), but I only got to see A New Hope once on its first release. That still irks me somewhat, since Grease is hardly the world changing event that Star Wars was.

By ESB I was old enough to go on my own. I sat through that twice on the first showing. I was off school for the dentist and missed the first 5-10 minutes, so I just stayed in my seat and watched it from start to end again. You can't do that nowadays.

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:12 pm

Funny enough, I never saw Star Wars in my childhood. I knew it existed and whatnot, but since no TV channels ever showed the films through the late 80s and 90s to my knowledge, never took the risk in buying the VHS' just to see if they were good or not. My earliest memory of Star Wars is the Droids cartoon, but can't tell you a thing about what happened it in because it was that long ago.

Fast forward to 97 and Episode 1 hype was HUGE. Like people queuing up months just to see the film (Boy, what must of their reactions of been? :lol: ). Having expressed interest in seeing the film, my teaching assistant offered to lend me the VHS' of the original trilogy. Funny enough, the un-Special Editions to be exact so I still got to see those versions first and yeah, I enjoyed all 3 with Empire being the most faved like others will say. Saw ep 1 and yeah, certainly could not live up to that level of hype even if it was any good. Still, the pod racing and Maul duel were both good.

Years went on and saw Ep 2 and 3 then the special editions once ITV started playing them over and over. At the time, my nephew who lives with us was born and only then did my parents decide to raise him on Star Wars which now as a teen to this day he still loves along with Indiana Jones. He also grew up with the prequels and Clone Wars stuff which while he now admits the original trilogy's where its at, he'll still have that childhood soft spot for the prequels, even after accidentally scaring it buy gifting him Ep 3 on DVD when I forgot how brutal his hero Anakin got "roasted". :lol: As far as stuff outside of the films went, I only really played videogames like Racer, Bounty Hunter and Rogue Squadron 2 and 3. Never really had time for the Expanded Universe much like the comic books of superheroes I've seen in film. While I enjoy and like them, they don't rank as high as my other obsessions like Videogames and Pokemon.

Fast forward to the last few years and I was pretty hyped for The Force Awakens. I thought the final trailer was just so good and loved how 90% of the movie wasnt given away like most trailers these days. Heck, a nice memory I'll always have is watching my nephew watch the trailer was not noticing me and being so amazed then hyped when I walked in and said "The force is strong with this one!". :lol: Then came the midnight showing. It was empty at first when I arrived, then slowly filled up, then started to notice folks old and young in cosplay. Hell, seeing one guy wearing a Chewie hoodie seeing someone else wear the same one and shout "HUG ME!" was kind of special to watch, especially how bitter fans got with the prequels and finally now after all these years, we were going to see it. What finally happened after Jedi. And boy, I enjoyed the whole experience from that evening as well as the movie.

Saw Rogue One last Monday and posted my thoughts in the topic. Not a midnight screening this time as I just felt there wouldnt be another huge "Han dies" progression or spoiler-rific moment in the movie and I was more or less right. Vader scene of course was everything I wanted and never got from the character in the prequels (No not Anakin, I'm talking about Mr Vader in the suit and all.).

So yeah, currently happy with how the house of mouse is handling the movies. I do hope they don't go too overboard with the movie every year plan. My hope is they save a possible 10-12 for when Rey and Finn are the old gen passing on to the next gen, while the spin offs switch to 2-3 years after the 3rd one. A SW film release should feel like a once in awhile event, not something you start to become sick of like some annual holidays....
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:35 pm

Was taken as a young child to watch Star Wars; all I remember was the death star battle with Darth spinning off. Ended up watching all 3 at the pictures, and then a few years later they showed all 3 , one after the other.

Then saw Phantom Menace with great anticipation (ending in great disappontment), and didn't bother watching the others til they came on blu-ray. I watched Phantom and Clones several years ago, and only watched Sith recently. They are all utterly awful films, and with the odd exception beyond any redeemable quality. I shall never watch them again.

Btw I urge anyone visiting London to go to the Star Wars exhibition at the O2. An amazing 2 hours, and stuff there for all the family (some interesting videos about growing up, and a chance to build your own SW identity). Seeing the original models of Star Wars ships (including an enormous Star Destroyer) , along with some amazing props was brilliant. Getting right up close to a C3PO and R2D2 costumes (ok they were behind glass, but still) was awe inspiring. One of the best £20 I ever spent.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:58 pm

Getting right up close to a C3PO and R2D2 costumes (ok they were behind glass, but still) was awe inspiring. One of the best £20 I ever spent.
The Con I regularly go to (MCM London Comic Con) normally has an R2D2 replica walking about along with some really good Vader and Storm Trooper cosplays. The Jawas one year looked awesome in person.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.