Game tried ripping me off

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Frank Chickens

Re:

Post by Frank Chickens » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:19 am

Dudley wrote: Still, they did give us Desert Strike.
And Card Sharks
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

chapperz

Re:

Post by chapperz » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:21 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Its hardly news though. Game has been consistently priced higher than its competitors for so many things over the last couple of years. Even their pre-owned stock is more expensive. Of all the major retailers, dedicated or not, Game usually offer the worst deal imho.
Another good call from Antiriad, Gamestation is far better IMHO. Even better is play.com, if you have a Nectar card you now get points for shopping at play.com too. Bonus, dude...

(Damn, now they'll all be sold out because I recommended it to you all - d'oh!!)

:wink:

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:33 am

Gamestation has its faults tho' see here:

http://retropassion.co.uk/retro/phpBB2/ ... php?t=1797

chapperz

Re:

Post by chapperz » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:42 am

koopa42 wrote:Gamestation has its faults tho' see here:

Sure, I'm not saying they're perfect, that sort of thing doesn't surprise me, but I think they're a better place for Retro stuff and the 2nd hand prices for Xbox etc. are better. That's all I'm saying.

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:09 pm

Yeah, if I was an underpaid till monkey there's no way I'd take advantage of the situation...
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

koopa42

Re:

Post by koopa42 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:11 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:

Yeah, if I was an underpaid till monkey there's no way I'd take advantage of the situation...
So you'd still feel that way if it was you that was ripped off? you'd be like 'oooooh kudos mr underpaid till monkey, here have my wallet'?

Crunchy

Re:

Post by Crunchy » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:34 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:

Since when has feeling that you're underpaid justified ripping people off?

The phrase Till Monkey is superb btw. It sums up your average counter staff in Game/Gamestation/Whatever brilliantly. :lol:

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:42 pm

No, that's not on, the gamestation thing.

If staff preordered in the queue like everyone else and bought it straight away, that's fine (and exactly how I got mine through Blockbuster). But if they're not buying it straight away (i.e - within 1 week) and they weren't genuinely in the queue that's against company rules.

If the manager knew and approved this (and he must have done) that consitutes misconduct on his part imo.

As for the underpaid defence, they took the job at the stated rate. If they're underpaid they need to talk to their boss, not rip off customers.

--

As for the GAME manager, he'll be sacked. If not for this then his bosses will be watching him and trust me, given a couple of months EVERYONE does something you could technically sack them for.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:21 pm

Trust me, most shops had the staff/manager taking 360 stock from their initial delivery for their own. It goes on all the time.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:50 am

I'm not saying I approve. I'm just saying that its a job with few perks. A bit of discount on games (of which you can't afford much cause the wages are crap) and first dibs on new hardware are pretty much all the advantages. People being people its not surprising this happens. Unfair and I'd hate to have it happen to me, but thats greedy human nature for you.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:25 am

Mayhem wrote:Trust me, most shops had the staff/manager taking 360 stock from their initial delivery for their own. It goes on all the time.
Indeed, you'd think a manager would have pre-ordered like I did.
I'm not saying I approve. I'm just saying that its a job with few perks. A bit of discount on games (of which you can't afford much cause the wages are crap) and first dibs on new hardware are pretty much all the advantages. People being people its not surprising this happens. Unfair and I'd hate to have it happen to me, but thats greedy human nature for you.
Except that one of those perks is legal and in your contract and one of them is somewhere between miscounduct and outright fraud.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

James A

Post by James A » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:55 am

Its not just the 360 thing that people at Gamestation clear up on. I know for a fact that a person that works in the trade in section at a gamestation near me rakes it in by putting to one side all the retro titles that go for good money on ebay.

How do i know this, simple. In the summer i traded a load of bits and bobs in from carboot sales. I spotted a copy of Suikoden for the PS1 in a pile of games behind the counter which i asked the guy if i could have a look at and ended buying for £2 after trading the other stuff in. Anyway 5 minutes later the guy behind the counter swapped over with said person and a row broke out with the line "Suikoden goes for £50 on ebay you stupid c**t".

If people are going to do stuff like that with retro stuff then of course there going to screw you over on 360's. Its basic nature, although pretty crappy.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:15 pm

I know the NTSC-U version goes for a good value on eBay (both of them do actually, the sequel even more so), but I didn't know the PAL version of Suikoden did as well.

virtvic

game ripoff merchants?

Post by virtvic » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:47 pm

Game are a bit dodgy. I noticed that they were trying to sell the Zelda Gamecube freebie (with the 4 games on it, released with one of the 'cube bundles) for £25! I nipped down to gamestation, who ALWAYS do decent deals for me, and told them about it, and asked if they had any. They were shocked that game were trying to actually SELL one. They gave me one for free! Just as Nintendo originally intended. A celebration of Zelda.

Anyway - don't get a 360. Buy a saturn, or get a 2nd hand arcade machine for your garage. RETRO Gamer *remember*

xxx

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:17 pm

Most places for example in the US had too many copies of them and started selling them separately as well. I can understand why though, just as another way to raise some money. Nice of Gamestation to give you one for free, even though they shouldn't have ;)

(they were only supposed to be included with sales of a certain Gamecube package)