Game tried ripping me off

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

beesty

Game tried ripping me off

Post by beesty » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:34 pm

Hi all Beesty(retrodeano)here,i just wont to tell u wot robbing t""£s GAME r.I went in today about an XBOX360 just to c when more wil arrive.To my amazement the guy said yeh i think we have some.Off he went and then another geezer came over and woz talking to me about the 360(like i didnt know wot it woz).
He then proceeded to tell me they had some,BUT,they had 2 packages.
One woz u get an Xtra joypad(yeah fair do's)and u get 9,YES 9 games with it,ie u pay about £800 for sommat that u dont wont ie all EA games of which none i fancied and others I didnt wont ie Kameo,RR,and the snowboarding one.
The guy woz talking to me very hushed as if to say i dont wont others to hear me(sorry the other package woz 4 games all i didnt wont)and probably so no one from trading standards could hear aswell.
Needless to say he got bugger all money out off me and i will hang on till hmv get some as i pre-ordered it from there.
Would like to here some more attempted RIP-OFF's from stores so others know wot to look out for in future.
atb,beesty(retrodeano)
the c64 was king,and the speccy,and the amiga,and,,,,,ooh u know the rest

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:02 pm

They are entirely entitled to sell bundles. They make zero on the console itself.

Also, for gods sake learn english. At all. We're all adults here and this is NOT the AOL teen singles room.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

martin_lovick

Post by martin_lovick » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:24 am

i saw a similar deal at game when i was in cardiff the other day. Looks like they are preying on the weak minded and profiteering on the "mummy I want one" effect.

I think im gonna wait untill M$ floods the market again and the prices return to normality, I bought a psp to keep me happy for the moment :)

roberthazelby

Post by roberthazelby » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:49 am

Crikey! I've just had to read beesty's email through twice before I could work out what the hell he was going on about!

beesty - buy either of the packs with the crap games, and then as soon as you've paid for everything hand the games back to them under Game's 10 day returns policy.

Result - you get an XBox 360, and Game get the crappy bundle games back.

Rob

p.s - You may want to stop posting to the forum using text speak. You'll find you get a much better response when your messages are written in English.

Hungry Horace

Post by Hungry Horace » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:51 am

The saddening fact is that people WILL pay those prices, especially with 3 shopping days to Christmas. The credit card is swiped before sense kicks in.

As well as the 360, the PSP has been subject to the same 'exploitation'. Sony has only allowed the Giga pack out before Xmas, many (I believe) as a 2 game bundle, and those games are mediocre (especially the football one). Stand alone unit? The man from SCEE he say 'LOLZZZ NOES!111!!! YOU PAYZ US MOR33!'

I also heard that Toys 'R Us were 'forcing' 360 bundles with 2 games and 2 or 3 full priced DVD films, films that were available individually for around £8 but selling for £15 in the bundle pricing scheme.
Get your own Gamercard Sig.

roberthazelby

Post by roberthazelby » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:57 am

Morning HH!

These 'bundles' are absolutely shocking, aren't they? I can't recall previous (before PSP and the 360) console releases suffering such underhandedness from retailers.

Both the Game and Toys R Us 'offers' are just shocking, and from discussing this with friends, and reading various threads over on RLLMUK see that this isn't encouraging people to spend more money on their initial purchase, but instead stop them buying a 360 at all. I'm certainly not buying one until the crap bundles die a horrible death.

Hungry Horace

Post by Hungry Horace » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:03 am

Aloha, Alundra Hazelby! (I assume your avatar IS Alundra?)

I agree with you. It seems that gaming has really 'hit the mainstream' in the last few years, and in the last 12 months without a doubt. The casual gamer is now filling the coffers of the publishers, and the demand for hardware is soaring. Basic economics: demand = profit, and when the media hype machine whips these poor kids into a frenzy of need (after all, back in my youth, not having a computer/console alienated you!), the parents have to pay the price.

Whilst informed consumers might well wait, the tactics for December have been rather abominable. I admit, I did preorder my 360, but Game, at that early stage, did not force a bundle on me; but I did choose the 3 game one. Shame they've lost that sense of charity now!

Actually, Robert; I remember when consoles CAME WITH A FREE GAME! Where has THAT gone now? Mega Drive and Sonic/Altered Beast? SNES with Mario World?

Sorry for long rant, work is dead today ;)

roberthazelby

Re:

Post by roberthazelby » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:19 am

Hungry Horace wrote:Aloha, Alundra Hazelby! (I assume your avatar IS Alundra?)
A good guess, but it's Leander :)

(Will contribute more to this 'bundle' rant later, but need to do some SQL. What joy!)

Hungry Horace

Re:

Post by Hungry Horace » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:28 am

roberthazelby wrote:
Hungry Horace wrote:Aloha, Alundra Hazelby! (I assume your avatar IS Alundra?)
A good guess, but it's Leander :)

(Will contribute more to this 'bundle' rant later, but need to do some SQL. What joy!)
You know the shame; I MEANT Leander, but confused it with the horrendous PSOne Zelda-rip off RPG. I used to love that Amiga game, what a shocking mistake. No really...it WAS a mistake.

Then again, the avatar could...just...pass for Aylssa Dragoon. You girl ;)

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:26 am

Hungry Horace wrote: Sony has only allowed the Giga pack out before Xmas, many (I believe) as a 2 game bundle, and those games are mediocre (especially the football one).
I can confirm this.

James A

Post by James A » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:32 pm

If its bad with the 360 before xmas now imagine what its going to be like if the PS3 European relase is near xmas next year.

Bleugh

Post by Bleugh » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:35 am

a nice hint for you guys

games own terms and conditions state that you can return unopened parts of a bundle, but when you do, you loose the overall discount.
works a treat, the discount is only around £30 anyway, so means you pay £310 or so for a premium :-)

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:42 am

James A wrote:If its bad with the 360 before xmas now imagine what its going to be like if the PS3 European relase is near xmas next year.
Probably less bad. Sony won't go for a worldwide launch having seen the results of this one.

Which probably makes us easter 2007.

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:48 am

All this is dubious business practice at best and at worst may have people asking Trading Standards is this legal, though Game knowing their customer base this is unlikely to happen.

As for the PSP, I don't know what all the fuss is about. I purchased mine from a reputable <sp> Ebay seller (!) back in September without any problems and is fantastic for emulators. </smug git mode>

If people thought with their brains during this period rather than their hearts and waited a few weeks, they could get a much better deal on the consoles.

EDIT: Reading back, the above makes me sound like an arrogant git, oops! :oops:
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:45 am

Frank Chickens wrote:All this is dubious business practice at best and at worst may have people asking Trading Standards is this legal, though Game knowing their customer base this is unlikely to happen.
There is nothing even a little bit against practice about bundling. Trading standards would giggle helplessly down the phone at you.