Keeping the old consoles alive?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

arthur071169

Keeping the old consoles alive?

Post by arthur071169 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:08 am

As the majority of old games consoles use SCART output, has any of the Retro Gamer posse' experienced the end result using a SCART to HDMI converter? I have a modest collection of items (3DO, CDI, N64, etc etc.) and they all have SCART as the best output option. I understand that there will not be any improvement over the original picture source, however most converters *do* give a fixed 720p output regardless of PAL or NTSC input.

I would like to hear of any results from fellow readers, does the HDMI look *as good* as a quality SCART output.
arthur071169

stvd

Re: Keeping the old consoles alive?

Post by stvd » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:45 pm

No idea TBH but I wouldn't pay @ £100 to connect a 3DO, CDI or N64 to my HDTV! :shock:

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:55 pm

Guess the only way is to dust off old trusty CRT tellies.

eggman1973

Post by eggman1973 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:45 am

Like others that have replied to this, I've not tried it, but I wonder why you'd want to do it? (Use a SCART to HDMI device, not the keeping old consoles alive bit!)

I'm sure any HD box you'd be using will have at least 2 SCART inputs and will display them at both 50 & 60Hz, so why pay over the odds just to have it running at 720p / 1080i...? Unless I'm missing something of course - are you hoping for a better up-scale by using a HDMI input than you'll likely get by using the SCART lead?

Reading this back, I realise that there are far too many question marks for an answer to a question, but hey, there you go!

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:29 pm

HDMI is digital only, so SCART won't work directly through it.

You'll need a fancy expensive box to run stuff through HDMI.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Paspie

Post by Paspie » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:03 am

We don't need to keep old consoles alive because CRT still has many advantages over LCD:

Instananeous response rate
Better colour reproduction
More affordable

LCD's may be much more thin and are more stylish but they will still be a mile away in terms of cost (especially HD TV's)

Besides, why do you need HD?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:05 am

Paspie wrote:We don't need to keep old consoles alive because CRT still has many advantages over LCD:

Instananeous response rate
Better colour reproduction
More affordable

LCD's may be much more thin and are more stylish but they will still be a mile away in terms of cost (especially HD TV's)

Besides, why do you need HD?
I love LCD screens, those old great 2 ton monitors i'm glad are disappearing.

As for HD , why ? Bit like saying why have you moved up from video to dvd ? Quality is far better

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:13 am

psj3809 wrote:As for HD , why ? Bit like saying why have you moved up from video to dvd ? Quality is far better
Not when you are watching a Standard Definition screen it isn't. It's worse.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Dominoid

Post by Dominoid » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:23 pm

On a good quality TV with good upscaling, SD can look better. However, most old consoles are lower than 480 resolution so my experience is that even with a good upscaler, it's not a great picture. I have all my retro gear set up in the spare room of our house so I got a second hand CRT from a charity shop to plug them all into. If you've got the space, I'd recommend getting a dedicated CRT for your consoles as it's the best picture I can get in the house despite have 2 HD TVs!

The Iron Chimp

Post by The Iron Chimp » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:55 pm

Yeh I got my hdtv connected to my modern consoles in the front room along with my dreamcast which connects through a vga cable adaptor.

However, In the backroom i've got a 29 inch sony trinitron which i've had for years connected to the older stuff.I find for the older consoles and stuff is that you need a crt tv as the quality is far superior than trying to juryrig and older console to a modern tv.Look around and you get some bargains on crt tv's. :D