Graphic Novels

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:22 am

The first Nemesis book is definitely worth getting there's some classic stories in there, I've ordered the second one but I think I've only read part of it before.
Splink!

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:43 am

muse hunter wrote:Nah i can't stand the american/ western graphic novals. Can't stand the art style or the whole superhero cliche that dominates them. Give manga and manwha's anyday.
Have you read 'Miricale man: The golden age' or 'The Yattering and Jack', or 'Maus : a survivor's tale'

Only one of these has any definition of a superhero in it, and that is hardly a cliched one!!

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:46 am

GarryG wrote:
muse hunter wrote:Nah i can't stand the american/ western graphic novals. Can't stand the art style or the whole superhero cliche that dominates them. Give manga and manwha's anyday.
Have you read 'Miricale man: The golden age' or 'The Yattering and Jack', or 'Maus : a survivor's tale'

Only one of these has any definition of a superhero in it, and that is hardly a cliched one!!
I don't think you were around when Muse was here, let's just say he's long gone.

Can I ask what stuff the rest of you collect, is it just modern day stuff or do any of you collect older stuff?
Splink!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:05 am

Strontium Dog book 2 looks excellent and has some epic stories in there, The Killing one of my favourites. The first one doesnt look too bad at all so thats next for me to read.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:11 am

psj3809 wrote:Strontium Dog book 2 looks excellent and has some epic stories in there, The Killing one of my favourites. The first one doesnt look too bad at all so thats next for me to read.
I agree about The Killing, fantastic story.
Splink!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:02 pm

Bah, went to the bookshop, no Nemesis :(

Almost bought Maus again, but £20 is a bit pricey. Ended up just buying the birthday card I needed and grabbed a Star Wars spoof from beside the checkout.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:36 pm

felgekarp wrote:
psj3809 wrote:Strontium Dog book 2 looks excellent and has some epic stories in there, The Killing one of my favourites. The first one doesnt look too bad at all so thats next for me to read.
When i was young how i made myself want to love that Quicksilva (What a great retro company) game of Strontium Dog the killing.

Played it tons back in the day , never got past the first level, found the entrance to a new set of levels but could never get there.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:05 pm

psj3809 wrote:
felgekarp wrote:
When i was young how i made myself want to love that Quicksilva (What a great retro company) game of Strontium Dog the killing.

Played it tons back in the day , never got past the first level, found the entrance to a new set of levels but could never get there.
I've not checked that game out, I'll look into it some time.
Splink!

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:02 pm

felgekarp wrote:
GarryG wrote:

I don't think you were around when Muse was here, let's just say he's long gone.

Can I ask what stuff the rest of you collect, is it just modern day stuff or do any of you collect older stuff?
Mainly modern stuff, though it was Batmans 'A Death in the Family' that got me into the scene really.

Will buy pretty much anything with the names Ennis, Ellis, Sale, Kirkman on it.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:58 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote:
felgekarp wrote:
GarryG wrote: Have you read 'Miricale man: The golden age' or 'The Yattering and Jack', or 'Maus : a survivor's tale'

Mainly modern stuff, though it was Batmans 'A Death in the Family' that got me into the scene really.

Will buy pretty much anything with the names Ennis, Ellis, Sale, Kirkman on it.
Agree with you about pretty much anything with the name Ennis and Ellis on it, I like Kirkmans Invincible and Walking Dead and I've got some Sale stuff, Long Halloween, Dark Victory and Superman For All Seasons. I was just wondering if anybody collected older stuff. I've got a fair bit of 60's DC stuff, although I wasn't around back then my uncle has a big collection of 60's stuff and that's what got me interested in comics in the first place.
Splink!

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:19 am

Anybody going to be watching COMICS BRITANNIA on BBC4, it starts on Monday? There's also JONATHAN ROSS IN SEARCH OF STEVE DITKO on the 16th that may be of interest to some.
Splink!

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:16 pm

felgekarp wrote:Anybody going to be watching COMICS BRITANNIA on BBC4, it starts on Monday? There's also JONATHAN ROSS IN SEARCH OF STEVE DITKO on the 16th that may be of interest to some.
I'll see if my freeview picks up that channel when I move.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

martin_lovick

Post by martin_lovick » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:37 pm

ive become addicted to essential xmen comic books/graphic novels recently

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:10 pm

martin_lovick wrote:ive become addicted to essential xmen comic books/graphic novels recently
I like the fact that Marvel and DC have been re-releasing their older stuff in this manner, the Archive and Masterwork editions are great but I think a little on the dear side, unfortunately not being much of a Marvel fan I've only got one Essential collection and that's the Howard The Duck one :D
Splink!

chewy

Post by chewy » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:40 am

I bought the new Vertigo book "Sentences", autobiography of a rapper known as M.F Grimm, reeeeeaaaaaallllly good book if you're into hip hop. He's massive on the underground scene, and this follows him through most of his journey. He's been through a lot.