Graphic Novels

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Elgin_McQueen

Graphic Novels

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:14 pm

Any fans?
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:18 pm

I have bought a few, but they were just to add to collections of other stuff (such as Star Was etc). I have never actually read any.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:58 pm

I have quite a few downstairs, of, it has to be said, variable quality. The Hellboy set is probably the most consistent and best, although some of 2000 AD's new books are really good.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:14 pm

Not recent stuff. Ten years or so ago I would read anything I could get my hands on - 2000AD compilations and books, Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Maus, Batman, AvP.

I wasn't teh hardcore, but I did enjoy them.

I don't suppose you'd like a batch of Overkill comics? I'm about to get rid of the first few issues.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

James A

Post by James A » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:10 pm

Yep massive fan X Men, 2000 AD, Aliens, Batman and too many more to mention. My favourite has got to be the Preacher series though, a true epic story and funny as hell to boot.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:58 am

LMAO, Preacher is one of the funniest reads ever, don't own it myself but had a lend rom a mate. Don't have a clue what overkill is though.

Love stuff like Maus, Watchmen and the like. At the me collecting The Authority, Powers and have a nice sized Batman collection, along with other random stuff.

Will pick up anything with the names, Ellis, Ennis, Millar, Loeb or Sale atached though.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:19 am

Big fan. The Dark Night Returns is probably my favourite, but the sequel and Watchmen are also great reads, as are the Battle Chasers comics.

I must have read hundreds over the past ten years.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:36 am

Big comic book fan and have been for 20 odd years. Love things like JSA, Planetary, Preacher, the reprints of the old Dredd stuff, the new collections of old Concrete stories, Powers, Exiles, Punisher and pretty much anyhting else that catches my eye.

Elgin_McQueen

Re:

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:16 pm

revgiblet wrote:Big fan. The Dark Night Returns is probably my favourite, but the sequel and Watchmen are also great reads, as are the Battle Chasers comics.

I must have read hundreds over the past ten years.
Was Battle Chasers subtitled 'a gathering of heroes'? If so a mate lent me that and I loved it, don't normally like that style too, shame it didn't last. Forgot bout Planetary, doesn't seem to have been one for a while though, dunno, I don't buy the comics, just the collections as it's normally quite a while before i can get to a town that has a good shop.

Did buy complete Judge Dredd Volume 1, Ghost Rider - Road To Damnation and Batman Arkham Asylum last week from Ottakers though. Good when your local bookshop has a fan ordering them in.

Also read a good few comics over scans, which I do honestly plan to buy at some point, Ultimate X-men, Y the last man and The Walking Dead really really stand out.

James A

Post by James A » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:00 pm

Wouldn't really recommend Ultimate X Men. Don't know why but it just turned plain boring very quickly.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:14 pm

There's a spelling mistake in the topic title. It should be c-o-m-i-c. ;)
Last edited by Dudley on Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:14 pm

There was a really good one I read 18-20 years ago.

About a ship that crash-lands on a planet and the survivors build a civilization

Hardback and a lot of pages,possibly more than 200

I've been trying to remember the name for ages,but can't

If anyone can help with finding the name or locating the book,I would be very grateful
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

felgekarp

Re:

Post by felgekarp » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:59 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:I have quite a few downstairs, of, it has to be said, variable quality. The Hellboy set is probably the most consistent and best, although some of 2000 AD's new books are really good.
Just seen that Complete Nemesis The Warlock, that's another one to stick on the list.

junkmale

Post by junkmale » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:03 pm

I still have all the Elfquest graphic novels and still love the whole Elfquest 'thing'. If you've never tried Elfquest, i can fully recommend giving it a go. Start at the beginning though or you won't have a clue whats going on.
The Thieves and Kings books are pretty good too.
I'm one of the few who hate and depise anything to do with superhero comics (+ no i haven't read them all!!).

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:12 pm

Book a mate lent me, there was a follow up too, about a post apocoyptic earth with no oceans left and a guy going around following th word of god from the bible. Which all goes well till people remember he was in the news for being a cannibal, was a really well put together thing, with the follow up possibly actually being better.