France vs Ireland Qualifier

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Spooky

Re: France vs Ireland Qualifier

Post by Spooky » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:58 pm

Seriously, I don't know what the fuss is all about... Why such a debate? It's happened before, it'll happen again... and every time it's happened, no match has been replayed, no video refereeing was implemented...
No one here is proud of that match, in fact, there would've been less talk if we had been eliminated! The ref made an honest mistake (the view was clearly blocked), it wasn't a great match so let's move on and focus on other things...

Roy Keane himself said that the Irish weren't that loud when some unfair decisions were made to the advantage of Ireland (in the Youtube links above). And another mistake was having so many defenders in the penalty area and no one to properly watch Henry.
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

stvd

Post by stvd » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:41 pm

SirClive wrote:
stvd wrote:
SirClive wrote:I know I am biased, but not having the reigning champions defend their title would devalue the tournament in my opinion.

:? :? :? :? :?

Who? Italy?
Eh? I am talking about Liverpool in the '06 chamions league.
OOPS! I'm going to have to read posts more carefully! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:23 pm

Spooky wrote:Seriously, I don't know what the fuss is all about... Why such a debate? It's happened before, it'll happen again... and every time it's happened, no match has been replayed, no video refereeing was implemented...
No one here is proud of that match, in fact, there would've been less talk if we had been eliminated! The ref made an honest mistake (the view was clearly blocked), it wasn't a great match so let's move on and focus on other things...

Roy Keane himself said that the Irish weren't that loud when some unfair decisions were made to the advantage of Ireland (in the Youtube links above). And another mistake was having so many defenders in the penalty area and no one to properly watch Henry.

Because Henry cheated. And now he's come out and ADMITTED he cheated - and blamed it on the referee! Time was professional sportsmen only admitted such misdemeanors long after the event , usually after retirement (usually whilst releasing an autobiography). The final whistle had barely finished blowing before Henry held his hand up (not that he could have done anything else really)
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:25 pm

So you would prefer he kept quiet and then used it in a few years to sell hisa book :?

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:29 pm

SirClive wrote:So you would prefer he kept quiet and then used it in a few years to sell hisa book :?

No , I'm saying that just that FIFA cannot turn a blind eye to a sportsman admitting to cheating
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:28 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
SirClive wrote:So you would prefer he kept quiet and then used it in a few years to sell hisa book :?

No , I'm saying that just that FIFA cannot turn a blind eye to a sportsman admitting to cheating
There was no use admitting it, it's blatant on every replay... in that case, FIFA should have a lot of matches replayed!
We should play the World Cup finals again because Materazzi insulted Zidane and made him go crazy so he could get sent off... Materazzi admitted it too! :roll:

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:22 am

Insults aren't against the rules are they7?

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:42 am

SirClive wrote:Insults aren't against the rules are they7?
Well, if they're not, they should be... especially when people keep talking about being "fair-play". Zidane's reaction wasn't the right one, but I'm pretty sure that was the Materazzi's plan to make him go mad, since he was the best player on the field.
No one made the same fuss about this, but it was the World Cup finals... the biggest match you can find. Here, it's only a qualifying match, between 2 teams that should have been qualified had they been better during the first round.
Instead of blaming it all on the last goal, why not blame it on the poor results of the teams (both Ireland and France) before?
And again, without this last goal, NO ONE would have been qualified yet. So it's strange to say "Ireland should have won, etc...", since they didn't do enough to indeed qualify.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:45 am

Spooky wrote:
SirClive wrote:Insults aren't against the rules are they7?
Well, if they're not, they should be
I disagree. Man up and get on with it. There is nothing anyone can say on a football pitch that should incite violence.
Spooky wrote:And again, without this last goal, NO ONE would have been qualified yet. So it's strange to say "Ireland should have won, etc...", since they didn't do enough to indeed qualify.

I agree with that though.

lanky316

Post by lanky316 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:52 am

Sledging is perfectly fine and so it should be, if a grown man can't handle a "your mum" line he has issues as far as I'm concerned. It's like the Campbell incident last year with "abusive chanting" which got thrown out of court. Let's not turn football into a silent sport, mind you Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge on a bad day....

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:35 am

Ex-Arsenal player in cheating shock.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:14 am

I don't get football :D Spaniards can't understand I don't give a crap about it.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:24 pm

Proud to be european champions then? :lol:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

cruachan

Post by cruachan » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:05 am

the_hawk wrote:OK, it probably won't make me very popular on the board, but FCUK 'EM!

I do feel genuinely bad of the genuine Republic of Ireland fans from the Republic of Ireland it's a harsh as hell way to go out of any competition, never mind a world cup.

but for all the Northern Irish Republic of Ireland fans who have given me abuse over the years & support the south for purely political reasons...slap it up ye!

Maybe if they didn't break the gentleman's agreement & steal our players too I'd have more sympathy for them.

I don't really understand all the English sympathy, the entire Irish nation were laughing their ballix off when Maradonna scored in '86, in fact they still sell t-shirts with the incident on them.

Oh and who's this team called "Ireland" have I fallen asleep & the Republic represent the whole Island now?

I'm just gland that my licence fee won't be paying for BBCNI sports pundits to go to South Africa & fawn over some foreign team.

Holy F**k, did you just put all that on a public forum? Whats wrong with you, have you been banned yet?

"the entire Irish nation were laughing their ballix off when Maradonna scored in '86, in fact they still sell t-shirts with the incident on them."

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat????????? That is stupid lie and I've never seen a t-shirt like that before.
Either way, bringing up the political stuff is so stupid especially on a video games forum.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:15 am

lanky316 wrote:Sledging is perfectly fine and so it should be, if a grown man can't handle a "your mum" line he has issues as far as I'm concerned. It's like the Campbell incident last year with "abusive chanting" which got thrown out of court. Let's not turn football into a silent sport, mind you Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge on a bad day....
I thought it didnt get thrown out. One of my old schoolmates was one of the blokes caught on CCTV and hes been banned from going to Spurs games and got a fine and was named and shamed. At school he was a top bloke, i knew he loved his Spurs but doing racist chanting (Which him and a few others did apparently) is pathetic, havent seen him for about 10 years but its crap what he did. Glad he got banned. It wasnt just 'your mum....' type lines, a ton of it was racist stuff.

Sometimes fans are so stupid, someone leaves their team and they hate him, a rival player leaves another team for their team and they love him the second he scores a goal. If a player said they wouldnt leave Arsenall and then they did due to the Bosman rule and joined Spurs, Spurs fans wouldnt mind one bit despite that player doing a 'Campbell'.

I do like football a lot but the way some fans act is ridiculous.