France vs Ireland Qualifier

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

binaryRooster

Re: France vs Ireland Qualifier

Post by binaryRooster » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:03 am

the_hawk wrote:
Oh and who's this team called "Ireland" have I fallen asleep & the Republic represent the whole Island now?
It's the same when Man Utd play West Ham, Newcastle etc and the commentators still say stuff like "united on the ball". There are two uniteds on the pitch, you useless fuckwits.

What disturbs me about the Henry incident, is the amount of people saying "he was just doing his job" and accepting it. Yeah, he cheated, yeah he ended Eire's world cup campaign, but you know, it's not like we all haven't fucked someone over to get ahead is it? If i ever get mugged, i must remember to say "fair enough mate" as i hand over my wallet.

Yeah, well done Slovenia! i bet Hiddink will get blamed for taking the Chelsea job now.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:08 am

the_hawk wrote:I don't really understand all the English sympathy
It's because you were playing France. There probably would have been the same reaction if they'd been playing Scotland; it's all on a sliding scale ;)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

pforson

Post by pforson » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:11 am

Stop going on and onion about this handball. Can't we just baguette it?
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

pforson

Post by pforson » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:11 am

hand of frog?
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

RB

Post by RB » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:33 am

Continuing with the match reports it's interesting to see both the UEFA and FIFA websites not mentioning the handball at all. UEFA's version of the events goes:

"And so came extra time where in the eighth minute a hopeful France free-kick found its way to Henry, who squared for Gallas to head the goal that takes his country to South Africa".

Based on reporting like that I'd say Henry is probably going to get a nice firm handshake rather than a ban from Mr Platini.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:19 am

binaryRooster wrote: Yeah, well done Slovenia! i bet Hiddink will get blamed for taking the Chelsea job now.
Absolutely delighted for Slovenia, they've got a fantastic bunch of fans, here's a few pics from when they came over to Belfast....

You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:06 pm

Being the only French here (as far as I know... or else, now would be a good time to give me some backup on this), I have a few things to say.

First, I won't be mean enough to start with the typical yet very annoying rub-it-in-your-face triumphant laugh. I really feel for the Irish, I would have loved to see them in the World Cup had they faced another team.
It's always hard to lose a match with such pressure on a imaginary penalty or a blatant offside goal, etc... but it happens all the time, it's happened to our team so often (Lloris's red card & the penalty against Serbia for instance), it's part of the game and I dare say, it's part of the fun, arguing about who would've won if it hadn't happened, etc...

Without this goal, I'm pretty sure France would have won anyway. It was obvious the Irish were only relying on guts and were burnt out, a few more runs by Anelka would have ended in goal at some point.

Also, before this goal, France won a very difficult match at Croke Park, which is quite something, so don't say we didn't deserve to qualify for the World Cup.

And I'm also convinced that we should have got a penalty a few minutes earlier as the goalkeeper clearly grabbed Anelka's foot with his opposite hand (which in my book is clearly intentional). I'm sure some of you will disagree, but that proves my point: talking about football would be less fun without all this...

edit:
I forgot: don't blame Henry... He just did what ANY football player would've done, just like any player would have dived to get a penalty in other circumstances. Yes, it's not very classy, but it's something all the players do. That doesn't make it right, but it's still too common for anyone to blame Henry.
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:19 pm

Then you are agreeing with me that Football is a corrupt sport FULL to the brim with cheats then.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:38 pm

Spooky wrote:That doesn't make it right, but it's still too common for anyone to blame Henry.
Most of what you said above was balanced and fair, but not this. Cheating is cheating. Just because it's endemic in the game, that doesn't mean you shouldn't be blamed for it. Bootlegging of movies is rife, but it's not a defence to say "well, everyone else does it," when you know it's wrong.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:55 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:
Spooky wrote:That doesn't make it right, but it's still too common for anyone to blame Henry.
Most of what you said above was balanced and fair, but not this. Cheating is cheating. Just because it's endemic in the game, that doesn't mean you shouldn't be blamed for it. Bootlegging of movies is rife, but it's not a defence to say "well, everyone else does it," when you know it's wrong.
It's not a defence per se, I'm just saying it's not right to blame just him and not every single professional football player at the same time...

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:56 pm

I think players diving to win a penalty (while still technically cheating) is part of the game.
However, more often than not there is some amount of contact, however minimal.

This is not comparable to deliberately handling the ball (twice!).

I do blame Henry but not entirely. The officials should also be dropped down the FIFA rankings
and prevented from refereeing at the World Cup.

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:01 pm

What about Maradona in the World Cup finals?
Why do people call this "The Hand of God"? What Henry did was no different...

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:06 pm

Yeah, the thing about Maradona's goal was that he jumped up and the ball hit his hand, not the other way around.
So you see, it's not the same. :wink:

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:12 pm

stvd wrote:Yeah, the thing about Maradona's goal was that he jumped up and the ball hit his hand, not the other way around.
So you see, it's not the same. :wink:
Oh OK! Then Henry's is certainly "The Devil's hand"! :lol: