France vs Ireland Qualifier

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

paranoid marvin

France vs Ireland Qualifier

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:14 pm

Ireland were so unlucky tonight , they really deserved to go through . Couldn't believe the handball incident; Henry handled it TWICE , and it was so obvious . Ok he got away with it and his team are through to the finals , but I think the repercussions for him make him wish he hadn't. I always respected the guy as a great footballer and an ambassador for the game , but now he's tarnished his reputation forever.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Fred83

Re: France vs Ireland Qualifier

Post by Fred83 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:35 pm

im glad someone started this thread,im fecking gutted and annoyed!

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:39 pm

Just got in from work and saw it on sky sports. Thats a bloody awful way to go out. They should knock that goal off and make them play an extra half hour. Shame on Fifa as well as Henry.

clarance

Post by clarance » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:43 pm

Yeah, I'm gutted for the Irish, but somehow I always knew that something like this would happen.

And as for Henry's reputation being tarnished - well I never really saw him as a great ambassador for the sport to start with.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:48 pm

Ive just had a right barney with a mate , he reckons Thierry Henry just did what anyone would have , i know i wouldn't have done that , it just wouldnt enter my head to move the ball with my hand like that and then celebrate the goal.

I feel really sorry for the Irish , Henry your a cheating tosser.
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:53 pm

clarance wrote:And as for Henry's reputation being tarnished - well I never really saw him as a great ambassador for the sport to start with.
I agree 100%. Without question, a great player but a complete hypocrite.

I hope something happens to him, injury wise (nothing long-term or serious mind you) just enough that he misses out on the World Cup. He's a disgrace.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:58 pm

To be fair, the officials should be getting it in the neck more than Henry. The linesman on the far side had a clear view of both the French players being offside AND the handball.

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:13 am

a lot of people are saying that they don't blame the officials - but when you have a goal that involves an offside and a player using his hand twice, then we may as well not have them. i'd love to think there would be repercussions for tonight, but there won't be.

Anyone who says they would do the same thing is just a cheat as well. Henry massively let himself down tonight.

Dare i say "video refereeing"? That would have taken ten seconds to sort out and Henry would have been booked. Nice dive by Anelka as well!

RB

Post by RB » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:35 am

Henry tarnished his reputation but then he will presumably be playing in next years World Cup. Is that a fair trade off?

FIFA stitched up the Republic and the other so called lesser teams by seeding the bigger teams for the play-off draw in the first place. Blatter (and Platini) would've been less than happy if Portugal drew France with one not making South Africa.

It will also be very interesting to read what Henry's take on the whole situation is as well as the FIFA and UEFA top men. Will they bow to the footballing worlds repugnance of Henry's actions and hand (see what I did there...) him a severe punishment for cheating?

You've got to feel for the Irish. With the current run of "good luck" France are on it might be worth sticking a tenner on them winning the whole thing come 2010... Man, the whole thing stinks worse than a Camembert stuck behind a radiator...

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:28 am

Football is SH!T.

I dislike the game, always have and dare say always will - BUT I watched that match at work.

To me, Football is a corrupt game of cheating overpaid actors. It needs bringing into the modern world of sport. How can a game like that be allowed to end like that?

To me, the game should be 90 mins - no more. If a 'man' gets brushed past and falls in 'agony', the clock should stop until his 'injury' is dealt with. When 90 mins is up the whistle blows and game over. Incidents should also be a stopped clock and video evidence looked at. Henry should be penalised by not going to the world cup for what he did tonight - but it shouldn't be necessary in this day and age. A replay would have ended that.

What are the rules for this kind of outcome? Can FIFA make them play the game again?
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:57 am

Henry did something instinctive that virtually every one else would. It is a real shame for the Irish and I am gutted for them, but until they bring in video evidence or that stupid uefa 15 refs rule then these kind of things will continue happening. This is only really a big deal because of the implications of the match, it happens week in week out.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:07 am

I didn't really mind who won last night - At least Robbie Kean won't be going to the world cup!!

The Irish really should have finished it before extra time though - they did have a couple of great chances.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:29 am

markopoloman wrote:What are the rules for this kind of outcome? Can FIFA make them play the game again?

No, but they can hand Henry a 4 match ban which will, more than likely, rule him out of the entire World Cup.
If he doesn't get a ban I'll be surprised to say the least.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:31 am

OK, it probably won't make me very popular on the board, but FCUK 'EM!

I do feel genuinely bad of the genuine Republic of Ireland fans from the Republic of Ireland it's a harsh as hell way to go out of any competition, never mind a world cup.

but for all the Northern Irish Republic of Ireland fans who have given me abuse over the years & support the south for purely political reasons...slap it up ye!

Maybe if they didn't break the gentleman's agreement & steal our players too I'd have more sympathy for them.

I don't really understand all the English sympathy, the entire Irish nation were laughing their ballix off when Maradonna scored in '86, in fact they still sell t-shirts with the incident on them.

Oh and who's this team called "Ireland" have I fallen asleep & the Republic represent the whole Island now?

I'm just gland that my licence fee won't be paying for BBCNI sports pundits to go to South Africa & fawn over some foreign team.

You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:05 am

the_hawk wrote:I don't really understand all the English sympathy.....
There's none from me - Anyway, im pretty sure I live nearer to France than Ireland!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward