Absolutely no sympathy

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26998
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Absolutely no sympathy

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:01 pm

£39.99? I don't think I've paid that for a game in years. I bought Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood the other month, just after it came out, cost a massive £25. That broke my usual £20 limit. If the games are good new, they'll still be good in a month or two when the price drops. There are very few games that can't be picked up for a decent price, even as low as a tenner for a brand new game within a year of release.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
gman72
Posts: 8018
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:41 pm
Location: UK. Norfolk

Re: Absolutely no sympathy

Post by gman72 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:20 pm

I have been legitimate on my 360 for over a year, I sold my chipped 360 bought a brand new one and have never looked back. Now I actually play games all the way through and seem to attach more value to each peice of software that I buy. I annoy my many pirate friends because i preach to them like an ex junkie on the merits of going legit and have sat on my high horse grinning smugly to myself as many of said friends have been kicked in the last few days, knowing that I would have been kicked by now also.
However, this guy in the news report must be a complete fool - even as a pirate I knew that getting banned from xbox live was always a risk that i had to contend with, lucky for me I never actually got a ban but it would only have been a matter of time - he seems to infer that he didn't really know why he was banned, as it says elsewhere in this thread "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time."
I've never been happier to be legit and have re-purchased many of the games that I pirated on xbox, I get more from each game that I play legally as I would often only play pirate games for a couple of hours before moving on to the next 3 quid disc.
I do sympathise for those that have been banned because i've been a 360 pirate and I know how gutted I would have been had I got a kick. However, I now see the error of my ways and I'm trying to convince pirate friends of mine that have recently been kicked to go legit, hopefully I will convine some of them.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 25262
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Absolutely no sympathy

Post by DPrinny » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:23 pm

psj3809 wrote:The guys 25 as well, not like hes some 14 year old who cant afford any games
Im a 28 year old that cant afford any of these new games

User avatar
The Master
Posts: 7252
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:01 pm
Location: the isle of everywhere

Re: Absolutely no sympathy

Post by The Master » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:27 pm

I'm 34, and that's what credit cards are for :lol:
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

User avatar
Greyfox
Posts: 1968
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:40 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Absolutely no sympathy

Post by Greyfox » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:36 pm

he can easily rectify his problem..simply buy another xbox360 and get another account..and the be caught play pre-release games on xbox live is a sure fire way of been taken out back and having a new a$$hole be torn. What a noob!...Xbox Live have now been able to identify wave 3 stealth and wave 4 stealth as regarding chipping..this guy has had his Drive spoofed not chipped another Noob remark!!... the news is that pre-released copies of COD:MW 2 where leaked to put Xbox live new security system to the test and its' been successful..I'm reading about 4,000 ppl have been nuked since before last Friday..playing this thinking there where safe...thought it was pre-patched with a stealth fix to stop been detected on-line..

this guy won't do this again in a hurry..and yes if you asked I have a modded Xbox360 and an un-modded one and neither ever see the light of day on xbox live..Simply because Xbox live is a complete Rip!...charging you multiple times after you've bought your games...a scam! to play downloadable content, when it should be there after shelling out 50 bips!, the PS3 Service offer far better..why it's free!...
↓↓Click Link to See More
http://www.greyfoxbooks.com

User avatar
thevulture
Posts: 10152
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Absolutely no sympathy

Post by thevulture » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:38 pm

It's like telling someone their dog's just died. It was pretty much like that for me. I love it, I love playing Xbox live. I play with my mates all the time. It's just a good laugh, we all sit there chatting, playing games. Now I don't know what to do.
Rent.Buy 2nd hand.Save up.Part-X older games.Wait till games drop in price...would have been far higher on my list than whining on to Radio 1 how it`s Sooooo Unfair.

Yer 25 mate.Grow a f**king pair-Stacks of folk your age struggling to pay the very bills to keep a roof over their heads let alone finding the Xbox live Gold membership fee.

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26998
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Absolutely no sympathy

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:19 pm

Greyfox wrote:I have a modded Xbox360 and an un-modded one and neither ever see the light of day on xbox live..Simply because Xbox live is a complete Rip!
Silver account is free and allows you to download demos so you can try before you buy, thus making better use of your cash.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
C=Style
Posts: 9053
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 4:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Absolutely no sympathy

Post by C=Style » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:39 pm

I'm hardly innocent when it comes to this sort of thing but this article infuriated me. What a twatnob. Does he really think he should get games for free and that MS are too harsh for banning his arse? I've pretty much move away from the pirate scene these days I get much more satisfaction out of buying games and playing them properly rather than having draws full of backups that never get used. I just wish the 360 was harder to hack like the PS3, it serves no purpose other than to pirate current gen software, if there was a thriving homebrew scene going on then fine but there's not. I'm actually glad he and all the other pirates got banned lol
Image

User avatar
GigaPepsiMan
Posts: 2692
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: Absolutely no sympathy

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:18 pm

FatTrucker I agree with you to an extent.
Now I'm old enough I will agree with you it can spoil the fun, I used to do it with handheld games.
But back when I was a kid it was great but that was only because I had a limited knowledge of what games were out so I got the most out of my chipped PS1.
But now I don't want to do it anymore, I have in the pass been offered to get homebrew on my wii but I said no, I'm doing this legit.
I've also cut down on emulation, I try to buy the games now if I can.

Anyway I do feel guilt about what I have done in the past but I have no sympathy for those who have lost their live.

User avatar
TMR
Posts: 5756
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:56 am
Location: Leeds, U.K.
Contact:

Re: Absolutely no sympathy

Post by TMR » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:35 pm

GigaPepsiMan wrote:But now I don't want to do it anymore, I have in the pass been offered to get homebrew on my wii but I said no, I'm doing this legit.
Just to clarify, there's nothing illegitimate about homebrew... it just that because a console is a closed system, it needs similar techniques to run that pirated games rely on. Personally i'd like to see all the consoles opened to homebrew development...

User avatar
Zetr0
Posts: 879
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:39 am
Location: UK

Re: Absolutely no sympathy

Post by Zetr0 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:05 pm

The 24 year old in this instance is a blithering idiot!

epic.... EPIC retardedness!

You dont go on National Radio and admit you blag games for your own personal use, (by the way I really loath the term pirate as NO RESALE is taking place) perhaps a better term would be data theft.

*arguably though, someone whom was going to copy/steal a game was never going to buy it in the first place.

However this said... (and open to a HUGE debate) this strong arming by M$ really pisses me off!

As a UK citizen I have the right to backup what I own, I would of explained that although I OWN the originals I use backups to preseve those originals (at £44 a pop its worth protecting), and because Microsoft have in-effect denied me my statutory right to backup and play my legally owned software I legally modified my hardware so that I could use my own LEGAL backups.

I would of gone on to say that I follow the UK law to the letter (showing all the orignal games I own, and my legal backups) that being denied a service (of which I have paid £40 per year for) is again another ilegal action on Microsoft's part.

I have the right in this country to protect and preserve my statutory entitlement, in exercising my rights under UK law I have been treated as a criminal.

The above holds weight and should bring media attention to our consumer rights that are constantly eroded by large corperations seeking to improve their profit margins.

Alas when you get some complete f'king numpty claiming ownership of over £1,200 (40 games @ £30 ea) worth of stolen games, it gives the corps, more ammunition to use against good honest consumers. >:( (f'king idiot!)

I can honstly say, hand on heart, that if I like a game I will and have bought it.

I have D/L a lot of DS/PSP/XBox and PC games, most of which end up stagnating or being deleted, however a few I have gone out and bought just because they really are THAT good,

(I will likely be buying Gran Turismo for the PSP next month, yes its that good!)

I truly do miss the computer shops of old, where you had all the machines setup running software that you could play before you bought it..... sigh...
Image

User avatar
Opa-Opa
Posts: 4304
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:35 pm
Location: Kent UK
Contact:

Re: Absolutely no sympathy

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:35 am

Zetr0 wrote:
As a UK citizen I have the right to backup what I own, I would of explained that although I OWN the originals I use backups to preseve those originals (at £44 a pop its worth protecting), and because Microsoft have in-effect denied me my statutory right to backup and play my legally owned software I legally modified my hardware so that I could use my own LEGAL backups.

I would of gone on to say that I follow the UK law to the letter (showing all the orignal games I own, and my legal backups) that being denied a service (of which I have paid £40 per year for) is again another ilegal action on Microsoft's part.

You do know that statement is complete bunkum don't you..?

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26998
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Absolutely no sympathy

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:43 am

Zetr0, your argument is flawed by the fact you are not allowed to use your backups unless the originals are destroyed. While the theory of backing up to protect originals seems to be common sense, the law as it stands doesn't work like that, it only allows backups for restoration purposes once your originals fail. Given that every publisher offers a disc replacement scheme of some kind, you wont get far using that excuse.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
Britnostalgic
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:53 am
Contact:

Re: Absolutely no sympathy

Post by Britnostalgic » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:38 am

I must admit, back when the PSone was king, I got mine modded... but I missed out on playing lots of classics, as I had that many copied games and not enough time to play 'em all. When I bought a game outright, this kinda forced me to play it, but I couldn't motivate myself to play each and every copied game I had.

I buy all my PS3 games legit, and as for £50 a game, the last two games I purchased were 'Fifa 10' £24.99 and 'Modern Warefare II' £26.99. No idea where this guy is shopping, just shows how long it's been since he purchased a legit game. As for retro games, I try to buy the originals when possible, but I often copy a .cdi or .nrg image for my Dreamcast, Mega-CD or Saturn, and nearly every game in my Speccy +3 collection is copied, apart from my favourites. For instance, I wanted to buy a legit version of Snatcher for my Mega-Cd, but the cheapest one I could find were around £70-80 so I simply downloaded it instead of paying those crazy prices.

User avatar
STranger81
Posts: 2507
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:42 am
Location: Derbyshire

Re: Absolutely no sympathy

Post by STranger81 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:47 am

BRILLIANT THREAD!
---------------------

"There are 16-year-old kids out there, they don't earn money so they go screaming to their parents saying, 'Can you buy me this game?'"

Its called being a kid FFS. When I was 14 I really, and I mean REALLY wanted Mortal Kombat 2 for the Megadrive for the sum of £69.99 from Woolworths. And you know what? I saved up my pocket money. Yup, took a while. I didnt buy any magazines/videos/CDs for a long time and went without stuff but you know what. I got it.

That arguement that kids dont earn money is stupid. Plus 16 year old kids like he mentioned could get a part time job, and lo and behold. Money to spend on video games.

------------------

"Fair enough, one game once in a while but the amount of games coming out, good games, everyone wants to play them all. And for them to pay £50 a game?"

If someone wants loads of games, then they pay for them. Simple.

-----------------

I knew someone who had his original X Box chipped and bought loads of games for about £1 each and he never played them. He had hundreds and never had time to play them so why even bother?

I think P2P/Torrent downloading is crap. I did tons of it back in the day. Music, films, games.... etc You name it, I downloaded it. And it was rubbish. The quality was extremely hit and miss, things were wrongly named etc. And I just felt like I was being really tight. If you want a film, buy the DVD.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests