Absolutely no sympathy

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Master

Absolutely no sympathy

Post by The Master » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:02 pm

I mean, what the hell?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/techn ... 002915.stm

Buy a better modchip and/or stop mooing... shit...
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

thevulture

Re: Absolutely no sympathy

Post by thevulture » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:12 pm

At first I was in shock, I mean it's always at the back of your head using pirate games you know there's that possibility but you haven't heard about it, there's been no warnings and you haven't heard it happen to anyone in the last two years.

I wasn't expecting it. I was just like, 'OK, what do I do now? Is this just a joke?' So I thought, 'Let me restart the Xbox'. I restarted, signed in again, same message. I did that three times, same message. I was pulling my hair out thinking, 'No, why me?'
Why me? The moron asks then goes on to explain:
I've copied roughly 30 or 40 games.
Well, what the fook did the gibbering baboon expect MS to do? send him a complimentary Edition of Modern warfare 2?
Now I don't know what to do.
How about Pay your way, like the rest of us do, or if your gonna go the other route, expect the Wrath Hammer to fall at some point.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:13 pm

The guys 25 as well, not like hes some 14 year old who cant afford any games

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:17 pm

Just the sort of thing I'd expect from R1's 'Newsbeat'. they pull up the most retarded people to questions, its worse than youtube comments. Why the bbc give people like that airtime I don't know. I hope it doesn't reflect R1's listeners - if it is this country will go down the shitter.

SpiffierRabbit

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:19 pm

No sympathy at all, don't do the crime if you can't do the time!
Last edited by SpiffierRabbit on Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:20 pm

I've always loved the games are too expensive so me stealing them is ok excuse. I tried it on the Police when they pulled me over in my nicked Ferrari, of course they agreed and rang Ferrari to ask if they could lower the prices on their motors a little bit.

Although I'll usually argue on the side of legitimacy I haven't always been pure as the driven snow throughout my gaming life so it would be hypocritical in the extreme for me to rant (too much) about Piracy and stuff. I do however think if you're going to chip your machine and play copied games, download software from torrents or otherwise rip off stuff you haven't paid for then you have to accept you might get caught and if you do you're going to get painfully f**ked up the a*se. Don't do it then whinge about it when it all goes wrong.

Perhaps if he pays for legitimate copies of the thousands of pounds worth of software he's stolen they'll re-instate his service.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:27 pm

What a complete and utter idiot. It's like Bruce Everiss in reverse. :lol:

Of course the idea that piracy is damaging the industry is vastly overstated, but when you're caught red handed and cut-off from online play as a result of your own transgressions there's little point in bleating about how hard done-by you are.

After all, if it's free games that you want, there are thousands of excellent open source ones for the PC.

ismellicecream

Post by ismellicecream » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:38 pm

Part of me wants to laugh at this loser - to me pirates (or p2p sharers) are just a scummy as people like EAK. But on the other hand, this sounds suspiciously to me like industry spin - I wouldnt be at all surprised if this is ficticious spiel to try and deter people from piracy, on the back of the most hyped game at the moment

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:44 pm

Piracy is too much effing hassle these days :lol: so I'm always legit when it comes to gaming.

Which makes stories like these a right laugh, they get what they deserve

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:47 pm

Very old games in my opinion is a grey area (some will say it's not a grey area at all however). But modern games where the company needs the income (even EA are cutting jobs) there's no excuse. The supermarkets are offering great deals on games so no-one has to pay £40 anyway.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:51 pm

Piracy also ruins your enjoyment of gaming. Sounds like spin but its true.

Back when I was a greasy teen and all my meagre income went on various chemical mood enhancers and stuff I got my PS1 chipped. Within a couple of months I had literally hundreds of games...and it was sh*t.
I never played anything properly, even some of the great titles got maybe an hour before I moved on to something else and that's if I didn't get fed up trying to decide what to play and just f**k off to the pub instead. I sold that chipped machine and all the games and I've bought and played my games one at a time ever since.

It very nearly wrecked my enjoyment of gaming....because the games were too cheap.....imagine that?.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

The Master

Post by The Master » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:56 pm

No, I know what you mean exactly. I used to download a lot of music - Soulseek and other things made it so easy, and I reckoned that - with over 1000 CDs - I'd already done my bit for the music industry.

Maybe I did, but I found out that the music I downloaded, I put no value to. I hardly ever listened to it, I felt "dirty" when I did, and in the end I almost stopped listening to music altogether :shock:

Now I'm in love with the iTunes Store - all the convenience and immediacy of downloading, with none of the demons. And I listen to this shit pretty much 24/7 :D

Piracy leaves you empty. I could very easily get hold of almost 2000 PSP games in less than a day, but how many would I play? Probably none... whereas I CHERISH my UMD of Gradius.... I even give it a little kiss sometimes

GunstarHero

Post by GunstarHero » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:18 pm

I don't understand why people think games are too expensive. Most games cost £39.99, the same that they did during the 16 bit days so considering inflation thats pretty good. This guy is a clown shoe and sounds like he should get a job.

My 360 is modded with an extra fan, is there anyway that Microsoft can pick up on that? Only did it because of 2 RROD.

TMR

Post by TMR » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:22 pm

Hey Raz, Microsoft called... they said to give them your address and they'll come around and "sort it out"... at least, i think that was the message?

i'm inclined to agree with ismellicecream here, this may well be sneaky anti-piracy hype from the industry, the idea of a supposedly mature 25 year old not realising that by pirating games he may well get into trouble is... well, surely nobody sentient enough to work a games console and a phone is going to be that thick?! i don't claim to be whiter than white as regards piracy personally, but anybody who makes the conscious decision to have a machine modded (for whatever reason, running legitimate back-ups, homebrew or piracy) should also be sentient enough to understand that their actions can and do have consequences; if the machine is bricked that's reason enough to grumble about it to your mates, but going public and expecting sympathy from other people because you were caught out is extracting urine on a truly industrial scale.

The Master

Post by The Master » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:32 pm

Exactly - nobody's pure (well, maybe the baby Jesus) - but going on BBC News and saying you've got about 40 dodgy games isn't exactly going to douse you with holy spewm...