Hey! I made a comic!

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Wil

Hey! I made a comic!

Post by Wil » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:24 am

When I suggested to some mates a while back that we try and make our own comic (something I've always fancied doing) I didn't really think we'd ever actually finish it (those sort of projects allways tend to fall flat on their backsides) but, amazingly, we did.

So I present to you my small press project - Smart Bomb!! 40 full colour pages of video game themed nonsense. I've had real copies printed (complete with free gift!) but
you can take a look for nowt online here - http://dinkybox.co.uk/smartbomb/where-to-get-it/

It's hardly high art or great literature but it's a bit of fun and as it's gamesy I thought you folk here might be interested.

Wil

rossi46

Re: Hey! I made a comic!

Post by rossi46 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:18 am

That's very impressive.

Will there be more?
Thoughts and prayers.

stvd

Post by stvd » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:24 am

Yep, looks pretty good.
I only had a quick glance though as I intend to order it.

Hopefully it's viable enough for you to make more.

Wil

Post by Wil » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:22 am

Now that we've actually got printed copies in our hands everyone is very much up for doing another one so yes there will be more. I really enjoyed doing it.

Thanks for the kind words.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:12 am

Just ordered a copy. The delivery options are a bit pricey, but as you are supporting Retro Fusion I thought I would support you!

Not look at the online stuff as I like a surprise :D

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:54 pm

Puzzles, a free gift, a poster, and a story about dinosaurs - I'll be having a bit of that :D
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:20 pm

I can't be the only one who hit the link, kind of expecting something a bit crappy, only to go 'Holy sh1t!' when I saw the superb quality of the artwork.

Funnily enough, I've wondered from time to time what your avatar is from. Now I know!

Nice work indeed. Going to have to give it a proper read later. :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:44 am

SirClive wrote:The delivery options are a bit pricey
I don't mind the price, what's annoying is that it has to be recorded delivery. That means the postie will return it to the depot and I'll have to go and collect it. There should be a normal post option - I'm happy to accept the risk of it going missing with no comeback for a £4 mag. Weird that such an established site doesn't have the option.

Still, ordered it anyway as the artwork looks incredible, way beyond what I expected. How about contributing a short strip for Retro Fusion mag? A bit of cross promotion maybe?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

boyo

Post by boyo » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:15 am

HI Wil,

Would you be up for doing a comic strip for issue 3 of Fusion - like the old Solar Jetman ones?

*EDIT*

Just ordered my printed copy. It looks fantastic!

Wil

Post by Wil » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:17 am

Thanks for all the nice comments :), it was good fun to do.

I appreciate what you're saying about the postage. The thing is that my wife and I have been running dinkybox for 5 years now and the most common troubles we have are people saying they haven't received things and general postage woes. So we made a decision ages ago that we'd only send stuff out by a recorded service. It's not perfect and we still get problems but it's better than nothing. I know that it means a bit more and that on the cheaper items it looks like you're paying loads for p&p but that's what we've decided. We're a tiny company (just the two of us and I only do stuff when I'm not at work) and it works better for us. At least you'll know that you should get it ok and it'll be wrapped nice and securely. If you're not at home during the day we'll always send to a work address (providing you're in the UK).

Sorry for the waffle but we've debated this between ourselves time and time again and it's just a decision we've made. Of course you can always read the comic online for free if the price is wrong for you (and I completely understand if it is). I'm not making anything on Smart Bomb!!. If I'm lucky and sell them all (only had 100 printed) I might have a little to put towards issue 2 but that's about it.

Boyo - send me a PM with a idea of what you're thinking of and schedules. I'd love to help out if I can.

:)

Zetr0

Post by Zetr0 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:57 am

Wil wrote:When I suggested to some mates a while back that we try and make our own comic (something I've always fancied doing) I didn't really think we'd ever actually finish it (those sort of projects allways tend to fall flat on their backsides) but, amazingly, we did.

So I present to you my small press project - Smart Bomb!! 40 full colour pages of video game themed nonsense. I've had real copies printed (complete with free gift!) but
you can take a look for nowt online here - http://dinkybox.co.uk/smartbomb/where-to-get-it/

It's hardly high art or great literature but it's a bit of fun and as it's gamesy I thought you folk here might be interested.

Wil

WOW!!!! purely WOW...... i have no words, just an exasberation....

WOW!!!

This happens very rarely.... I am truely Inspired!!! all the hairs are standing up on the back of my neck!!!

and I thought I had talent with drawing / rendering.... it would seem have some practising to do!!!!

I have always wanted to write / code an RPG game like the Final Fantasy series... ever thought of writing interactive stories for your characters? like a computer game or perhaps a *do you run(turn to page 193) or fight(turn to page 666) fighting fantasy book ?

now Imma buzzin lol!!!

ismellicecream

Post by ismellicecream » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:10 pm

Looks good - I'll order a copy when I have some spare cash - done my first bout of xmas shopping this month and its wiped me out.

I'm in the process of planning a comic with one of the concept dudes from work - he has already self published:

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/s ... il/4385641

and

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/s ... wn/4382825

PrimalScientist

Post by PrimalScientist » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:21 pm

Erm.....

That is some censored cominc!!

Pure quality mate.

Wil

Post by Wil » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:35 pm

Zetr0 wrote: I have always wanted to write / code an RPG game like the Final Fantasy series... ever thought of writing interactive stories for your characters? like a computer game or perhaps a *do you run(turn to page 193) or fight(turn to page 666) fighting fantasy book ?

now Imma buzzin lol!!!
A fighting fantasy-style adventure running through the comic would be quite cool little thing to do. I don't consider myself a writer but I do quite enjoy it (the letters page thing was fun to write). If you (or anyone) has any cool ideas of stuff that could be done in the comic's format (video games-related, all-ages etc.) then feel free to send 'em on. I've got quite a few ideas rolling about in my ideas book for the next one but the more the merrier.

For ages I've ummed and ahhh-ed over getting something like Clickteam's Fusion games writing package and having a go but as usual it's a time thing. That darned work thing always gets in the way.

@ismellicecream - those books look really cool. I might have to get myself one :) The one thing I'm quite adamant about, though is doing stuff that's all-ages friendly. When I was growing up, comics (although they were for kids), weren't written down for kids and I think that's been a bit lost now. Superhero comics are grim and for grown ups and if they do, do stuff for kids it's really kiddy. I wanted to try and hit that middle ground. Can't say I've succeeded yet but I'm trying. How does your friend find Lulu? They seem quite expensive. I used a place called Ka-Blam in the States and the quality was excellent.

ismellicecream

Post by ismellicecream » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:15 am

Wil wrote: @ismellicecream - those books look really cool. I might have to get myself one :) The one thing I'm quite adamant about, though is doing stuff that's all-ages friendly. When I was growing up, comics (although they were for kids), weren't written down for kids and I think that's been a bit lost now. Superhero comics are grim and for grown ups and if they do, do stuff for kids it's really kiddy. I wanted to try and hit that middle ground. Can't say I've succeeded yet but I'm trying. How does your friend find Lulu? They seem quite expensive. I used a place called Ka-Blam in the States and the quality was excellent.
He hasnt mentioned anything regarding lulu - he does it for the fun though - I dont think he cares that much about making money from it.

His stuff isnt for kids at all lol - but his style reflects his personality exactly - he's very much at home in a 'Carry On..' film.