Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

WildWillyWilson

Re: Micro Men

Post by WildWillyWilson » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:59 am

I loved it, Sir Clive seemed like one angry bastard with a short fuse! :lol:

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:42 am

Anyone know if any of the parties involved have been asked on their thoughts?
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:01 pm

I think Acorn had the right idea with the Electron; they just royally ballsed up the engineering of it. Had they managed to get the machine out in time for Christmas '83, and had they not crippled the design too badly in their haste to reduce costs, it could have been a genuine contender. Those are a couple of big IFs perhaps, but building too many wouldn't have mattered so much if they'd kept flying off the shelves.

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:50 am

It was on BBC HD last night. Result. I recorded it and look forward to watching in glorious high definition.

Not that Sir Clives hair and beard in this needs anymore definition... ;)

RIK

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:39 am

I finally watched it last night on my PVR. It was quite enjoyable. Sir Clive comes across as one angry man! In all the interviews I have seen him in he comes across as quite a nice man. It does make you think if Curry and Sinclair had stayed together and got the BBC project and maybe combined had a computer which could do the serious stuff as well as the games market what would have been. Particularly as the ARM chip would have been next in line for development.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:56 am

Sinclair always had strange obsessions - I remember reading an interview years ago where he thought robots would replace soldier or policemen, and look after the old. Home computers probably seemed like small fry to him.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:10 am

I suppose he was looking at home automation, however he went off in the wrong direction, maybe if he made one of the first robotic lawnmowers or robotic vacuum cleaners he would have been on the right path. Likewise with the electric car, we have known ever since the car was made that electricity was much more efficient for it, but he went after the battery route, not the fuel cell. Good ideas but perhaps no business sense. I have read "On the Edge" as well and Micro Men seems to capture the personalities of the men who made these computers.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:13 am

Just seen this , can't believe I missed it first time around. Absolutely brilliant , really funny and interesting. As for length , well much longer and it would have started to lose some of it's charm. Obviously there are a number of factual errors , as there probably are in most docu-dramas , which we don't realise because it's not our field of expertise , but who cares when a program is put together so well. The world of the 80s was very convincing , with a blend of archive and modern tv - obviously not seamless (the picture quality saw to that) but added to the overall experience - this obviously wasnt something to take TOO seriously. Loved the shot of the rows of old Speccy games on the shelves - wonder where they got those?

How much is true? I'm guessing quite a lot actually. Obviously the majority of the Sinclair/Acorn boffins would have had no interest in gaming , and to a Mensa-genius like Sir Clive , they were probably a scandalous waste of use for his micro-computers. Loved the way he kept referring back to the far more 'serious' issue of electric cars :lol: .

The shame is that they didn't cover the Amstrad buy-out , other than the brief mention of that "ghastly barrow boy" :lol:

As for the main characters of Sinclair and Curry , I'm hoping if they watched it that they laughed their heads off the whole way through.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

merman

Post by merman » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:51 am

paranoid marvin wrote: Loved the shot of the rows of old Speccy games on the shelves - wonder where they got those?
A lot of the vintage equipment was provided by the Centre for Computing History near Saffron Walden.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:13 pm

too bad Sid James is dead - he'd have made a cracking Alan Sugar in the sequel.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:20 am

Slowly working my way through the stuff I taped over xmas & new year and have just got to this, thought it was really good, certainly interesting, crazy to think how far the world has come on in technology since the 80's. I also taped Games Britainia (part 3) and Electric Dreams (part 3) the same night which all deal with the rise of home gaming. Certainly brings back the memories.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:15 pm

Favourite programme of the year,

Not too sure about the character weighting - Clive came across as a maniacal obssesive, and Chris Curry came across as far to nice (no self interest by the BBC then?)
Totally enjoyable however.
No doubt the yanks will remake it along the lines of Atari V's CBM (and it will turn out as censored as the American Office or the American Life on Mars).

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:24 am

It was a good programme. Having read "On the Edge" I think a programme about Commodore and Atari might be a good idea.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:07 pm

Having seen The Pirates of Silicon valley I was expecting something similar. Boy was I wrong this is way better. First up The 80's looked great :) some off the cars were from the wrong years though, but that's just be being a car nut. I never new about Sir Clives temper I hope the phones out offices thing was made up for dramatic effect. The Acorn guys working to get that prototype up and running was a good sequence also. At first I thought the pub fight was made up, but acceding to google it really happened, nuts just nuts .Chris Curry was right about one thing Sinclair could have been the British IBM but no Sir Clive was always wasting money on that damm C5, if the cash had gone into computers it would be a different story today. More of this please
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image