Micro Men

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Loftgroover

Micro Men

Post by Loftgroover » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:15 pm

BBC4 at 9 after Electric Dreams....the story of Clive Sinclair and Spectrums etc by the looks of it.

Alexander Armstrongs version of Sir Clive is quite LOL inducing :D

Lorfarius

Re: Micro Men

Post by Lorfarius » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:13 pm

Managed to catch this on the BBC4 website. Really enjoyed it and thought it was well put together.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

TMR

Post by TMR » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:24 pm

i'm guessing a few things were "nudged" in the interest of a good storyline, but generally speaking it was as enjoyable as i'd hoped it would be.

Britnostalgic

Post by Britnostalgic » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:08 pm

I loved it to bits... Sinclair came across as a complete censored, I bet Alan Sugar lept to give his consent, and was probably doubled up in laughter whilst watching.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:44 pm

Watched it earlier. Absolutely loved it. But, how much was true, and how much was false, we'll never know. But it was thoroughly enjoyable.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:46 pm

Watched it tonight, thought it was excellent, much better than i'd thought it would be.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:26 am

Really enjoyed it and proved to me what I had suspected for years - Clive Sinclair is a cnut :lol:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Team Alfie

Post by Team Alfie » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:58 am

BBC4 has done a great job with the entire Electric Revolution season and this was my highlight. Fine script, good acting and nicely shot. It doesn't matter if it took liberties with the truth in places, it exceeded my expectations as a comedy drama.

Now when is someone going to make a Hollywood blockbuster based on the battle between PS3 and 360 fanboys?

PrimalScientist

Post by PrimalScientist » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:19 am

I thought it was absolute quality!! :D
Last edited by PrimalScientist on Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:41 am

I really enjoyed it.. So much so i watched half of it again later on.. :)

If i was Sir Clive Sinclair i wouldn't be happy though. He was made to look like a right kn0bber. Was he really like that.?

It said at the beginning that some scenes were invented to make the story line flow.. I would love to know which ones.?

RIK

firebreather

Post by firebreather » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:46 am

Really enjoyed watching this, well written and acted, though i did find sinclairs (Armstrong) bonce quite distracting. :wink:
Was sinclair really that crazy?

Madge

Post by Madge » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:00 am

Loved this. Unfortunately I forgot to record it for posterity, but it's being repeated in a day or two so I'll get it then.

Judging by an article from Sinclair User it seems the punch-up in the Baron of Beef was actually toned down in Micro Men. You can read about it here: http://www.sincuser.f9.co.uk/036/news.htm

I also expected to see Acorn change their micro's function keys to orange to get BBC approval. No idea if that's a true story but it's quite funny.

Does anyone know what spec the BBC demanded at the time?
Why retro? Because you never forget your first love.

merman

Post by merman » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:29 am

The "knighthood" scene was invented/altered, for definite...

Really enjoyed it, despite one or two inaccuracies. Felt it put the story across really well. Loved the bit where Acorn are talking about going for the low-end market with the Electron, while Sinclair is moving upmarket with the QL...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

The Master

Post by The Master » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:55 am

This was one of the best things I've ever seen :D

But! Bloopers!!

Most glaring was the brief shot of some (may God forgive me) AMSTRAD CPC464s, supposedly at the same computer trade show where the Acorn Atom was first unveiled!! What the hell.. :shock:

Secondly, the BBC shown at the big ceremony was obviously at least a later issue 4 model. A true BBC from those days would have had a different textured finish to the casing, and a different legend on the function keystrip 8)

Finally, the Electron was already mentioned in a 'news clip' a fair bit before them actually deciding to invent it :lol:

But all in all, it was fantastic. The Acorn team always deserved to be household names just as much as old Uncle C!
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:09 am

Utterly brilliant - I couldn't believe how much I enjoyed this. Armstrong as Clive was superb, as was Freeman's Chris Curry. The whole retro-feel to the piece was excellent, with great 80's sets, nice blending of archive footage with the contemporary filming (digital film-effect etc) and recreation of a couple of Sinclair tv ads. Terrific music as well.

The most surprising thing was finding my girlfriend really enjoying it to (it even distracted her from reading Canal Boat magazine... as you can judge she's not usually into Retro gaming, just retro lifestyle...)

What really hit home was the glaring 'management by unreality' (as I like to call it):
'I've told them it'll be ready in 4 days'
and
'we launch in 28 days'
- having read the excellent 'On the Edge' history of Commodore, there's a definite pattern to the guys running these tech businesses, and it really rings true for me personally having been on the receiving end of this all too often!

Talking of bloopers, going for the extreme here, the motorway signs were too modern - as I recall from the Withnail & I commentary track the blue signs weren't introduced until 86 or thereabouts.

Also, just before Clive receives word of his Knighthood, he's blowing up about games, saying 'Jet Set F*cking WIlly', to which one of the other guys says 'my son got to level 8' - how that got in there I don't know - should have mentioned the Attic Bug instead.