i hate ebay !

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

vp002

i hate ebay !

Post by vp002 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:47 am

Dear retrobates,

Thursday night im bidding on a item (steel battallion xbox ) where it starts at £50 so i send a mail to the buyer , saying how bout he lets me buy it for £70 now , he writes back basically telling me to ssip off , so im there till the end and get gazumped at the last ten seconds by a fiver , The sale ended at £56.00 !

Is there any way i can stop this from happening in the future ?

Vp002

jdanddiet

Re: i hate ebay !

Post by jdanddiet » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:56 am

I don't think the seller has done anything wrong.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:05 am

Why didn't you put in a £70 bid?
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:24 am

I always turn down requests for BINs on my auctions.
Going Solo...................

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:32 am

I've only asked once, and that was because I'd bought stuff of the fella before - and he went for it :D
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:38 am

If my auction has a buy it now, which has been cancelled by a bid and someone asks, I always refuse, as its unfair and, I believe, against ebay rules (can someone clarify this). If my item has no buy it now, I still don't accept offers. Did the item have a buy it now or best offer?
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

levon2807

Post by levon2807 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:46 am

The only way to avoid it really is to put your maximum bid in straight away or use a sniping service but I think you have to pay for sniping...

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:58 am

levon2807 wrote:The only way to avoid it really is to put your maximum bid in straight away

This is what i pretty much do now.. solves all the hassle of ebing sniped and crap , as you know youve put your max bid.. if it subsequently gets beaten then tough tee tees. Its much better than getting Sniped at the last possible second over and over and over
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

vp002

Post by vp002 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:10 am

Dear all,

Well if i put £70 on wouldnt i just of got sniped at the last minute ?

Any1 got any details for a sniping service ?

vp002

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:22 am

vp002 wrote:Dear all,

vp002
Surely not, if it only went for 56 quid?
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:36 am

vp002 wrote:Dear all,

vp002
Not if they were only sniping to an amount under £70, worth a shot, no?? :roll:
Retropassion reborn

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:38 am

Schoolboy error ! Why not just put in your 70 quid bid as late as possible, good chance the guy who did win might not have gone that high.

I use a sniping service, dirt cheap, ideal for when i want to put in a bid at the end and i'm not around. No point putting a bid in until the final seconds. Sorry without sounding harsh you shouldnt hate ebay, you made a rookie mistake !

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:54 am

For sniping I use Jbidwatcher:
http://www.jbidwatcher.com/

It might not have all the features of the professional sniping services, but it's free and works well enough in practice.

Contrary to popular belief though, it won't help you win many more auctions than you would if you were always just putting in an early bid with your maximum price. Rather, what it does is compresses any bidding war that's likely to happen into the last few seconds where there's no chance to respond. That's great if you're putting in the highest maximum bid, but not so good if you're not.

levon2807

Post by levon2807 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:30 am

I have to stick with the maximum bid idea, as soon as you see the auction, bid what you're happy to pay and leave it. Too many times I've watched an auction until the final minutes and not lost it but bid more than I wanted to in the heat of the moment which is just silly...if something is worth £70 to you bid £70, if someone bids £71 then it's gone for more than you want to pay...simple :D

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:32 am

Always bid 1p above your maximum rounded figure. Saved my ass a few times on ebay where somebody else has put in a rounded bid at the last minute and been outbid by my single penny :twisted:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.