Charlie Brookers Gameswipe..

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ismellicecream

Re: Charlie Brookers Gameswipe..

Post by ismellicecream » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:44 am

Funny thing is, the exact reason that Dara O'Brien never finished Gears of War is the same reason that I stopped playing it for over a year.

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:28 am

Very disappointed. Far too much time spent on pointless, mindless violence and, irrespective of Charlie's views on such, time spent merely glorified gamings underbelly. Anyone not involved in the gaming scene and watching out of curiosity will not have been tempted to join in and likely to view us gamers in a dim light. Sure there were a few moments of brightness, but therein lies the problem - they were just moments. What would have been more helpful (and in addition to what was said) - and thereby un-alienate our fraternity to a degree - are reasons why such poor-taste games are actually bought and offering good-taste alternatives. I felt the whole thing was very unbalanced with little appreciation shown to the decent majority of gamers.

Blumf

Post by Blumf » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:44 am

Gameswipe was excellent.

50 minutes of brilliant gaming commentary, the sort of which is criminally lacking from TV considering how many people and how much money gaming involves.

Poking fun at the games that need poking fun at, feting the great and honouring the retro.
Gameswipe needs to become a regular feature, I think we need a petition. :)
Sometimes you need to say what needs saying, most times you just need to shut up and listen.

pforson

Post by pforson » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:52 am

Sputryk wrote:Very disappointed. Far too much time spent on pointless, mindless violence and, irrespective of Charlie's views on such, time spent merely glorified gamings underbelly. Anyone not involved in the gaming scene and watching out of curiosity will not have been tempted to join in and likely to view us gamers in a dim light. Sure there were a few moments of brightness, but therein lies the problem - they were just moments. What would have been more helpful (and in addition to what was said) - and thereby un-alienate our fraternity to a degree - are reasons why such poor-taste games are actually bought and offering good-taste alternatives. I felt the whole thing was very unbalanced with little appreciation shown to the decent majority of gamers.
QFT
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:01 am

QFT???

pforson

Post by pforson » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:10 am

pforson wrote:
AlleyKat wrote:
pforson wrote:I really liked the first game when I was a kid. I replayed it recently and it was awful. Totally unplayable and deviod of fun. Sorry.
QFT.
???

Quality fitted Trousers?
Quick f*ck Tranny?
Queen feels Tipsy?
oli_lar wrote::lol:

'Quoted for truth'
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:58 am

Sputryk wrote:What would have been more helpful (and in addition to what was said) [...] are reasons why such poor-taste games are actually bought
Maybe I was watching a different show to you, but there was a lot of that. There were also plenty of top-quality games peppered about.

Interestingly, Brooker says this show beat both Newswipe and Screenwipe in terms of ratings, so perhaps the BBC will commission another show at some point.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

vp002

Post by vp002 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:32 am

Dear all,

Knew it was going to be good when the phrase,

'Grange hill em up '

Was used to describe skool daze.

vp002

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:34 am

i liked it. i didnt like the over reliance on GTA as a reference though. the song about madworld was great though
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:17 am

Saw it last night after watching Electric Dreams and I too thought it was funny :-)

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:11 pm

Sputryk wrote:Very disappointed. Far too much time spent on pointless, mindless violence and, irrespective of Charlie's views on such, time spent merely glorified gamings underbelly. Anyone not involved in the gaming scene and watching out of curiosity will not have been tempted to join in and likely to view us gamers in a dim light. Sure there were a few moments of brightness, but therein lies the problem - they were just moments. What would have been more helpful (and in addition to what was said) - and thereby un-alienate our fraternity to a degree - are reasons why such poor-taste games are actually bought and offering good-taste alternatives. I felt the whole thing was very unbalanced with little appreciation shown to the decent majority of gamers.
I thought it a good show generally, but they were definitely a bit heavy handed on the gibs shots. I watched it with my wife, who's a fairly keen gamer albeit not of that particular variety, and she was visibly flinching at times. Sure, it's all good harmless fun to those that are used to it but I'd wonder what non-gamers, let alone our self-appointed moral guardians, would have made of it all?

To be honest though it's always going to be lose-lose with non-gamers; if you like violent games you're some sort of antisocial psychopath, but if you like non-violent games you're some sort of adolescent who never grew up. Those sort of people simply don't just get the basic idea that all games are played because they're fun; end of story.

Anyway, my favourite moment was seeing the gameplay of 3D Monster Maze segued into Wolfenstein 3D. Blimey, did that really all happen in the space of a decade? Someone pinch me. :D

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:03 pm

I enjoyed Gameswipe. Entertaining and irreverent in all the right places and quite a number of laugh out loud moments. Expanding into a series could be a real winner. Doubt it'll happen though.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:24 pm

Watched it this afternoon, wasn't disappointed. The mere fact he mentioned shmups, let alone a title like Perfect Cherry Blossom is an immediate win with me. And he mentioned the PC Engine. His knowledge of games was good too.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:34 pm

Jusrt watched it and can't believe Dara O'Brien is telling my story! I haven't been off the 1st island of GTA4 either

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:07 pm

SirClive wrote:Jusrt watched it and can't believe Dara O'Brien is telling my story! I haven't been off the 1st island of GTA4 either
Yes, I though Dara made a really interesting point about games being the only media denying content to those who have bought it. Games like Fable II and Star Wars Lego, where it is nigh-on impossible to fail, seem to fly in the face of this attitude. Providing challenge in ways other than blocking progress could produce some really interesting ideas.

I also appreciated the Consolevania fellas lament over the loss of magical worlds in our games: games are far too brown these days. Though not all games suffer this fate: I played Beautiful Katamari yesterday.
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.