eBay - The very last final straw

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

clarance

eBay - The very last final straw

Post by clarance » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:48 pm

Went to list a few games today in the vintage games section on eBay, only to find that the buggers have introduced their wonderful free postage mantra to that section as well.

Can't list any type of video game now without having to offer free p&p, which basically means a 99p sale makes almost no money at all after eBay fees, paypal fees and P&P are taken off.

Corporate Cocks
Death may be your Santa Claus.

FatTrucker

Re: eBay - The very last final straw

Post by FatTrucker » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:51 pm

clarance wrote:Went to list a few games today in the vintage games section on eBay, only to find that the buggers have introduced their wonderful free postage mantra to that section as well.

Can't list any type of video game now without having to offer free p&p, which basically means a 99p sale makes almost no money at all after eBay fees, paypal fees and P&P are taken off.

Corporate Cocks
Yep they are f**kers. Just start the auction @ £2 with free P&P!.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:54 pm

Just choose the courier or freight option and specify shipping costs in the item description.
Thoughts and prayers.

clarance

Post by clarance » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:56 pm

FatTrucker wrote: Yep they are f**kers. Just start the auction @ £2 with free P&P!.

Tried that, but the listing fee alone is 30p - not really worth it - your looking at less than a pound left after everything has been taken off from a £2 sale, and that's if the item sells - no free listings for anything over 99p.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:56 pm

Is there no legal recourse?. I'm sure somewhere there must be some kind of legislation that prevents them from being able to force people to send things for free? (aware of the fact that the reason they do it is to bump up actual auction prices and increase their fees).
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

clarance

Post by clarance » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:02 pm

rossi46 wrote:Just choose the courier or freight option and specify shipping costs in the item description.
Yeah, that works, (and you have to do that with console and computer sales as well now as the minimum postage allowed is £5 :roll: ) but I am a bit wary of people buying stuff and not reading the description first - might just give it a go though - see what happens. Not much to lose now I guess.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:03 pm

Ebay are fuckin idiots, they're trying to contend with other online retailers who offer free postage but the problem with that is the private seller doesn't have to buying power to procure postage on the cheap. Maybe ebay should consider including or subsidising postage costs with these extortionate fees they're implementing. It's just becoming pure greed on the part of eBay.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

Videogameboy

Post by Videogameboy » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:07 pm

Hi,

I noticed this a while back,
however from a buyers perspective.

Its annoying because I see an item with Free postage,
I immediatly bid,
and then go back and review the information,
and in the description it'll say something like 'Postage is not free, its a fiver'!!!!
i'm like that's nuts!

Sometimes i'd win a game for 60p and then feel strange when it arrives with a postage mark on it for 1 pound and in a padded envelope...i'm think, WOW! You really took a loss.

Real crazy!

VGB

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:08 pm

Frustrating but obviously they've done it as so many people take the mick with high postage. In the past i've defended those people, you can always see how much postage is so if it is high simply dont bid. But looks like ebay have clamped down.

Starting prices of 2 quid now will be the new '99p' style listing so theres not a huge difference. People who expected to win a game for 99p plus 2.50 postage now expect to win games at the starting price of 2 quid (as theres no postage). Wouldnt say its that bad, just stopped people from putting ridiculous high postage on and stopped those people moaning when they see the high postage, win it, and then moan about the high postage after !

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:37 pm

I have a feeling people will start setting a postage price to be included in the sale price itself.As psj stated there were some ridiculous postage rates at times.Example i was looking at a mega cd console from the uk one day.To ship it over here the seller wanted £75 for postage!
Last edited by Fred83 on Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Videogameboy

Post by Videogameboy » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:46 pm

Oh well......

At least we got;

:D :D :D :D

VGB

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:46 pm

Its not just the free p and p thats getting everyones goat, its the 4 neg marks on your feedback and your suspended which is really a problem.

Yes, thats right if some one gives you a naff feed back in the 5 star thing more than 4 times or a percentage of that if you are under 300 you will be terminated. It only has to be one of the star catergories in the feedback list not all of them for this to kick in.
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

The Master

Post by The Master » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:53 pm

The problem is that there's no viable competition. Things like Gamerbay are laudable; however, without sufficient funding and promotion they will always ever end up only as (a) places for closed circles of mates to sell to each other, and/or (b) places for sharks to plunder in order to bolster their pockets on eBay.

I fully agree that eBay is sucking up the yellow stuff lately - especially given the latest revision to T&C for sellers the other week. What it needs now, is a genuine uprising - not just a handful of people, but thousands, putting their names, brains and wallets behind an entirely new venture - which might then stand a chance of being noticed and snowballing.

In several countries, eBay is by no means the top dog (eg. Allegro - Poland, Ricardo - Switzerland) - but that's only because they didn't get in there first.

To shake them from their pedestal elsewhere is going to take nothing short of an en-masse mooning........
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

CatherineMcClarey

Post by CatherineMcClarey » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:43 pm

EBay US are being very seller-unfriendly now, too. They've just instituted a policy this week whereby sellers can neither require buyers to pay extra for insurance nor make insurance optional; they suggest including the cost of insurance in either the starting bid or the "handling fee" part of P&P. I've started adding a US$1.00 handling fee to all my auctions; USPS insurance is a minimum US$1.75, but I felt I'd drive away too many potential buyers if the P&P charge they saw in an item's Shipping Calculator went up too much. The only other nuisance with this for me is that (since I often forget to ask for insurance at the post office counter), I'm doing a lot more online-generated postage labels this month.
"Just one more turn . . .!"

levon2807

Post by levon2807 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:28 am

I've found adding the postage costs to the description to be fine so far as long as you do it in massive letters and red highlight :D

What gets me is the feedback thing, basically if you're a seller and the buyer isn't happy you have to do everything but give them the keys to your car to appease them for fear of bad feedback...and it's not as though large amounts of neg/netural is the problem, even small amounts can give you major hassle and am I right in saying - puts people off buying from you?

By the time you've paid eBay, paypal and the Royal Mail (inc tracking) I'm finding more and more that it's not worth selling small money items meaning bargains and most likely retro games will become less and less on eBay.