Iain Lee

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ismellicecream

Re: Iain Lee

Post by ismellicecream » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:12 am

C=Style wrote:
But this one article on Watchdog pointing out dissatisfaction (rightfully imo) from PS3 gamers who have faulty consoles does not paint the whole industry in a bad light, I do not for the life of me understand where you are getting this idea from?? Have you actually seen the program in question yet? Because it is a total overreaction on your part.
It does because it is singling out a game product with the same faults that are inherent in all electric goods - the probability of failure and (if true) a bad batch. The way watchdog portray things will most likely give the average viewer another negative point about games.

I have seen the program now, and I believe my original point is still valid - I mean was the stupid song at the end necessary? It just strengthens the fact that they dont care about the facts, they just want a bit of sensationalism, and games are an easy target.
C=Style wrote:You mentioned earlier in the thread that this man obviously has no loyalty. What does this mean exactly? Is it some kind of secret society that you have ties to and must obey certain rules when within it? Again, this one article bears no reflection on the games industry and certainly not the actual games, your earlier rant about censorship was completely unrelated, I think a few people here are failing to see the link from this one article.
It means, for the last time, that I dont agree that someone writing in a games magazine should participate in such a report, I think you are all blinded by the idea that I'm a bit of a censored now, and cant see that whether you agree or not (mostly not), my point is valid.

My censorship rant was an example of how reports like this are potentially another nail in the coffin of the games industry, and if all these people have their way, that is what could become. No its not directly relevent, but it only takes one more straw to break a camels back.
C=Style wrote:I'm not a fan of Iain Lee, but he has done nothing wrong here at all, yet you sit there calling him fan boy and all other childish insulting names, when really you should be looking in the mirror perhaps?
I'm not saying he has done anything wrong, I just dont respect him as a games columnist any more after his participation in the report, regardless of his input into the report. To me its the equivalent of a columnist for Empire (for example) jumping on the videonasty bandwagon.

I pointed out that his being a 360 fanboy probably biased his decision to participate. and yes I did call him a childish insult, but dont sit there all high and mighty throwing that back in my face like you have never insulted someone in the heat of the moment.

So there you go, we've dealt with my original points. Has it changed anything, considering I havent really said anything different, or are you still determined to make me change my opinion and see how wrong I am and how right you are?

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:51 am

Havent seen the clip, not too bothered about Iain Lee, Dont care if the authors of articles know who wrote the game, or who composed the music, or what printers printed the manual.

As long as it is informative or funny or teaches me something new or identifies a new game or system to me I couldnt care less if Robert Mugabe wrote it.

Remember that `celebrities` are no better than us...they just get paid more and probably get sworn at more in the street.

Lets have more Archer McLean articles - they are interesting....

Most importantly though dont watch crap on the tv or read crap in the papers...all the care about is viewing figures or sales figures....

Chuck D had the best idea (or should it be Flavor Flav) `Dont believe the hype`

ismellicecream

Post by ismellicecream » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:23 am

I do think this thread has run its course, its gone out of context, those who have posted have made their decision about the motivation and context of my post, and I doubt that will change.

I have no intention of carrying any aminosity out of this thread, and I hope those who have tried to force the issue have the decency to do the same.

This house is clear.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:50 am

Purely in terms of his page in RG, I'd have to say it's not that impressive. What we need (as Alan Partridge might say) is a Peter Ustinov of retro games - someone who can tell a witty anecdote. I find the topics he write about quite poor. Clearing out your game room? It's barely worth a forum post yet alone a page (and a pay cheque!)......

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:58 am

Ok, trying to be objective, the core of the piece was that there may be an underlying problem with the PS3, resulting in the occasional YLOD and that Sony is denying there is a common fault, despite the same fix being applied to repair it. They undermined their whole argument later when they admitted there was a near 50% re-failure rate within a week.

This was handled VERY badly by the programme, and they turned it into a feeble entertainment piece with next to no informative value.

However, at no stage did Iain Lee unfairly criticise or malign either the PS3 or Sony (his part was a comedic attempt to prove the common fault accusation) and you cannot hold him responsible for the piece of crud that was the rest of the programme.

If you had taken the time to watch the article on iplayer, like I did before commenting, then you may not have been so vitriolic in your condemnation of what was a pretty lightweight piece of fluff, and not something which could bring down the whole games industry as you said.
HADDOCKEN!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:07 am

ismellicecream wrote:
thevulture wrote:
zyzzyva (n) - any of various tropical American weevils, often destructive to plants
That`s the last word in the dictionary i have, so let it be the last word on here. :wink:

LOCK AWAY
I think you'll find the last word is Zzap (64). :D
My dictionary is that old, not sure they had dedicated magazines for the slide rule and abacus :wink:

Dam

Post by Dam » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:19 am

Really annoyed that I missed watchdog. I forgot to set the recording box whilst I went to a lame-ass party where I spent most of the time watching the Everton match. :roll:

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:58 am

Dam wrote:Really annoyed that I missed watchdog. I forgot to set the recording box whilst I went to a lame-ass party where I spent most of the time watching the Everton match. :roll:

Can watch it...Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRyRxKlo9-o

Be warned though, The Hag-Mother Robinson is in full effect. :wink:

8-Bit

Post by 8-Bit » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:05 am

(Anne Robinson) Welcome to Watchdog. Tonight - millions of Playstation 3's sold worldwide and we've found 3 that no longer work.

Cut footage of the worst PS3 advert the BBC could find.
Back to the studio where three boys are surrounded by a crowd of people to fool the viewers into thinking it really hasn't been a slow week in the Watchdog office.

(Anne Robinson) So, how do you know it's gone wrong?
(Boy 1) Well, you turn it on and it don't work like. There's a blue light, and a yellow light and then a red light. Init?
(Women entering from the left) The 'yellow light of death' could be for any reason - and Sony say they can't tell what is wrong with the machine until they actually see it. This simply isn't acceptable.
Sony say it will cost 128 pounds to fix your beloved console.
(Anne Robinson, turning back to the boys) So, having paid the cost of taking a day off work and getting down to the Watchdog studio, have any of you paid Sony to fix your machines?
(Boys) No.
(Anne Robinson tries to get off with Boy 1, fails, tries Boy 2, fails again and finally tries Boy 3)

Swap to Iain Lee taking a day off from his full schedule to help park a van out side Sony's offices in London. The offices where they don't build or repair PS3's.
(Producer) OK, who are you?
(Iain Lee) I'm Iain Lee - I was around in the '80's. I've seen old computers and stuff.

Cut to shot inside the van of two 'independent technicians' taking apart a PS3. Technicians that don't think wearing an anti-static strap while touching the components of the PS3 is a 'good idea'.
Outside the van a line of people have gathered in the hope of having their PS3's fixed by a non-authorised dealer.

(Iain Lee) Oh look, we happen to have a broken PS3 here. This customer has his precious pictures of his graduation and school trips on the hard-drive. So precious, he couldn't be bothered to back them up and has his only copy on his broken PS3. Can we fix it?

(Iain Lee to Technician A) So, how many of these broken PS3's have you seen?
(Technician A) Oh, a couple of hundred.
(Iain Lee) Wow - two hundred. That's, like, a lot.
Iain Lee gets out his Casio watch calculator - more proof he was around in the 80's - to divide the number of failed PS3's by the total sales.
(Iain Lee) Ah. That's not right.
(Producer) What?
(Iain Lee) There's the same chance as having a win on the lottery as your PS3 going wrong.
(Producer) Oh. Anne Robinson's not going to be pleased. And we organised these 'random' people to happen to come along with their PS3's.
(Iain Lee) I am still getting paid, right? It's just award shows aren't that common and Sarah Cawood is a lot more attractive than me.
(Producer) No, let's carry on - we'll sort it out in the edit. We can always cut to that bloke from Rogue Traders to confuse the viewers.

(Iain Lee talking to the Technicians) So what do you do to fix these PS3's?
(Technician A) Well, we them apart and clean them.
(Technician B to Technician A) - and microwave them.
(Technician A) And microwave them. I'm qualified to microwave them for 15 minutes.
(Technician B to Technician A) Qualified?
(Technician A to Technician B) Yeah, two stars at McDonalds. Putting a PS3 in a microwave - it's the same thing. I'm qualified.

Cut to shot of 11 people who happened to be walking down the street with their boxed PS3's, all happy that their consoles have been fixed by a couple of qualified burger flippers. The sort who fix a PS3 for a 100 quid and then leg it in an un-marked van.

Back in the studio Anne Robinson is starting to melt under the lights and so we cut to the bloke from Rogue Traders (he's like the old dog you can't bring yourself to put down). Of the 11 PS3's that watchdog fixed, 4 have failed within a week. Strangely there's no mention of whether customers of unauthorised repairs get any guarantee or if they'll see their money back.

But Watchdog is happy to give the impression that people should pay 100 quid+postage for to an unauthorised repairer who 'may' fix your PS3, rather than pay a flat-rate of 128 quid to Sony who will repair or replace the machine without any fuss.

Cut to music video of some chap who really should have his YouTube account suspended...

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:16 am

Just watched that clip, how is it possible that you lose all you photo's and music, etc? Surely that means hard drive failure?

I remembered now why it's been 10 years since I've watched this programme.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:04 am

On the broader subject of Iain Lee, has anyone else seen this atrocity he's done on behalf of Nintendo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTMtznKUeJo

Also, where's a vomiting smiley when I need one?

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:06 pm

I reckon you lot are jealous because he got to nob Daisy Donovan :wink:

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:10 pm

What a load of sh1t that show was.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:35 pm

SexyWayne wrote:I reckon you lot are jealous because he got to nob Daisy Donovan :wink:
Did he, though?

I know I would.
Thoughts and prayers.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:27 pm

Well I at least hope he tried :lol: