Iain Lee

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ipmarks

Re: Iain Lee

Post by ipmarks » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:59 pm

Have seen the iPlayer Watchdog, and it seems about as pointless as any other Watchdog article. That's what you get I'm afraid if you watch it... useless cheap journalism articles sensationalising tiny things like they're a national crisis. So I don't hold anything about Iain Lee for that...

... however I do hold an awful lot else against Iain Lee. I just don't like him, he's smug and I seriously doubt he knows very much about retro gaming. In my opinion he was never ever funny, not even on the hallowed eleven o clock show, which was also smug, self knowing, pretentious comedy at best. I've stated these facts on my feedback posts for the last 3 months, so I'm not jumping on an Iain Lee hating bandwagon here.

The articles he's written so far for Retro Gamer aren't going to win any pulitzer prizes are they. I mean 300 words boasting about the fact he owns so many systems he's got to get rid of some... boo hoo.

If he's the only retro gaming celebrity out there then I'd rather go without one. I've read infinitely more interesting revelations and facts by members posting on this forum. Why don't retro gaming hire more of them? People who know about games... and aren't self satisfied z list celebs.

I know people have opposing views on Mr. Lee, but those are mine, and I can't see them changing soon.

ismellicecream

Post by ismellicecream » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:04 pm

I'd sooner the give a column to the KONG BEAST.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:22 pm

Erm...... The Bloke works for Microsoft, The Article is on a Microsoft site(MSN) And it paint`s the 360 in a favorable light.
Iain Lee is employed on a freelance basis by Microsoft. The views in this column are those of the author and not of MSN or Microsoft.

Microsoft owns MSN UK and Xbox.
And the shock here is.........? :wink:

It`s just the Media circus come to town and pitched it`s big top.

Now, Had he written a Piece saying: 'Microsoft:Modern Day censored Turpin's.The thieving Bast*rds and i`ll tell you why....'
And gone on at great length about the pricing, E74, Red Ring etc. Then in all honesty i`d have found it quite entertaining. :lol:

I say that as a very happy 360 and PS3 owner. As it was? Came across as the usual Corporate Bile...Oh look how in touch we are, we have 'Cool' people in our employ etc etc.

No better/worse than Sony`s Fake PSP Blog Fiasco.Which was pathetic enough on it`s own.

If Iain really wanted to take a stand on something Sony related, then he really should have had a pop at the PSP:GO pricing.-Stacks of material there.

Cannot really say it`s topical even, I mean he`s hardly got his finger on the pulse/Ear to the ground as far as being down with it, has he?
Yes, it may have beaten HD DVD, a format I didn’t even know existed until the announcement that it was being withdrawn

It`s just the usual corporate P*ssing contest.Just stand down stream and let`em empty their Bladders.

Things like this? Just Transparent to me.Designed to get a response, get people talking about it. Bored MS, Bored Sony. Can we have some Creative Marketing. Rather than all this censored waving.Ta.

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:44 pm

ismellicecream wrote: Scapegoat - see above regarding my motivation for posting. Also read my thread title - then you can stop being bothered about me having not seen the program because my point is still valid.
ismellicecream wrote:I didnt see it, but apparantly he was on watchdog last night, shitting on his own doorstep, the bug-eyed horse toothed bellend.
Does he not realise that by going on something like this he is contributing to the ignorant propaganda that the media force down the throats of the unititiated at every opportunity?
You passed comment on a programme you hadn't even seen. This makes your criticism totally irrelevant.

The point of the program was a very poor attempt to provoke an improvement in Sony's customer service (no comparison was made to the three year M$ warranty), and the point of the article was to say that Blu-Ray aside, there is no tangible benefit to buying a PS3 over a 360, which is his opinion and until M$ is outlawed, doesn't automatically necessitate his expulsion from the magazine.

Are you suggesting that ANY criticism of Sony should be banned because it may result in the annihilation of the games industry (which years of much worse criticism of the 360 has yet to achieve)?

As an aside, in my immediate family we own two Wii's, a 360 Elite, two PS2's and a PS3 and they are all lovely.
HADDOCKEN!

ismellicecream

Post by ismellicecream » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:58 pm

No I passed comment on the presence of someone in a programme I hadn't seen.

If he had made comment on a similar report in, say, RG then it wouldn't have bothered me because the readership are educated about games enough to make their own judgements, but watchdog is aimed at a different audience plus they have a motive to get and keep viewers.

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:10 pm

ismellicecream wrote:No I passed comment on the presence of someone in a programme I hadn't seen.
So according to you, he's not allowed to earn a living appearing on any programmes in case he says something nasty about the PS3.

Which he didn't.

Not that you'd know, not having seen it...
HADDOCKEN!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:27 pm

ipmarks wrote: If he's the only retro gaming celebrity out there then I'd rather go without one.
Jonathan Ross - his favourite game ever's Splatterhouse on the PC-Engine, and he has a Nomad and one of those Dreamcasts shaped like Sonic's head.
He'd probably charge £4 million a page though, not that viable...
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:30 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
ipmarks wrote: If he's the only retro gaming celebrity out there then I'd rather go without one.
Jonathan Ross - his favourite game ever's Splatterhouse on the PC-Engine, and he has a Nomad and one of those Dreamcasts shaped like Sonic's head.
He'd probably charge £4 million a page though, not that viable...
Going without one is still sounding like the better option so far.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:35 pm

It could be worse. They could get rid of Iain and replace him with Dexter Fletcher, reminiscing about when he hosted Gamesmaster.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:51 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Bub&Bob wrote:
ismellicecream wrote:My point has always been that I dont think theres any place in RG for Iain Lee
There isn't any place in RG for the CPC either but what can you do :wink: :wink:
Did you want that replacement issue?
:wink:
oh yeh good point. God i love the cpc
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

do_sucol

Post by do_sucol » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:30 pm

Wil wrote: just make complicated machines as cheaply as they can.
Sums it up perfectly,just like analog cheese on pizzas!

No cheapness please ,we're british :!:

...........................................................................................

And don't watch this youtube video,as it's likely to offend teh industry ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AyVh1_vWYQ
The economic and political system isn't broken.
It's doing what it was designed to do - make the rich richer.

ismellicecream

Post by ismellicecream » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:27 am

Scapegoat wrote:
ismellicecream wrote:No I passed comment on the presence of someone in a programme I hadn't seen.
So according to you, he's not allowed to earn a living appearing on any programmes in case he says something nasty about the PS3.

Which he didn't.

You know what, are you actually reading what I am writing? I will state it clearly this time sequentially:

According to me, he can do whatever the censored he wants - but I dont agree with someone who writes for a games mag contributing to a report that paints the entire games industry in a bad light to people who dont understand - i.e. non-gamers which is the core audience of watchdog.

I think it shows double standards and in my opinion if he loves games enough to write for a games mag, then he should use that to help promote gaming in a positive light if an opportunity to do so arises, or just no get involved.

I really hand-on-heart do no give a frogs fat arse what is said about the PS3. I have to be careful what I say but for example - do you think everyone who works at macdonalds prefers big macs over KFC, just because they work there? A few of the guys here are on my friends lists and if you asked they would probably confirm that I am on the 360 more than the PS3.

If the article had been about the 360 failing I would still have the same opinion.

Why are you being confrontational anyway, with statements like
My original point was quickly twisted completely out of context, and everyone seemed to dive on it, even though in practically every response I have made I have said my original context it seems to have fallen of deaf ears.

I really like this place and one of the reasons was because everyone seemed pretty real and straight up, yet at the first available opportunity the signs of internet bandwagon flocking arise.

So, I dont really have anything else to say on the subject, did I over-react? No. Was I wrong for making a personal insult at Iain Lee? Probably. Is my point in anyway related to the company I work for? Absolutely not.

Can I suggest once whoever wants to get the last word does so, that a mod lock this thread, because its highly likely that my next response will end up being a copy/paste of a previous one again anyway.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:17 am

zyzzyva (n) - any of various tropical American weevils, often destructive to plants
That`s the last word in the dictionary i have, so let it be the last word on here. :wink:

LOCK AWAY

ismellicecream

Post by ismellicecream » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:37 am

thevulture wrote:
zyzzyva (n) - any of various tropical American weevils, often destructive to plants
That`s the last word in the dictionary i have, so let it be the last word on here. :wink:

LOCK AWAY
I think you'll find the last word is Zzap (64). :D

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:51 am

So let's deal with your original points then.
ismellicecream wrote:
According to me, he can do whatever the censored he wants - but I dont agree with someone who writes for a games mag contributing to a report that paints the entire games industry in a bad light to people who dont understand - i.e. non-gamers which is the core audience of watchdog.
But this one article on Watchdog pointing out dissatisfaction (rightfully imo) from PS3 gamers who have faulty consoles does not paint the whole industry in a bad light, I do not for the life of me understand where you are getting this idea from?? Have you actually seen the program in question yet? Because it is a total overreaction on your part.
ismellicecream wrote: I think it shows double standards and in my opinion if he loves games enough to write for a games mag, then he should use that to help promote gaming in a positive light if an opportunity to do so arises, or just no get involved.
You mentioned earlier in the thread that this man obviously has no loyalty. What does this mean exactly? Is it some kind of secret society that you have ties to and must obey certain rules when within it? Again, this one article bears no reflection on the games industry and certainly not the actual games, your earlier rant about censorship was completely unrelated, I think a few people here are failing to see the link from this one article.

I'm not a fan of Iain Lee, but he has done nothing wrong here at all, yet you sit there calling him fan boy and all other childish insulting names, when really you should be looking in the mirror perhaps?