Iain Lee

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Matt_B

Re: Iain Lee

Post by Matt_B » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:58 am

ismellicecream wrote:I'm not that bothered about the report - My point has always been that I dont think theres any place in RG for Iain Lee after participating in the report.
Look on the bright side; if he gets more telly work, he'll get too busy to have time to write for RG. :lol:

ismellicecream

Post by ismellicecream » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:04 am

lol. Good point - he obviously has no loyalty.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:16 am

ismellicecream wrote:My point has always been that I dont think theres any place in RG for Iain Lee
There isn't any place in RG for the CPC either but what can you do :wink: :wink:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:46 am

Matt_B wrote:
ismellicecream wrote:I'm not that bothered about the report - My point has always been that I dont think theres any place in RG for Iain Lee after participating in the report.
Good thing it's not up to you then. I don't see how it effects what he does for RG magazine. I just watched the article and didn't see a problem? Nothing was unfair or underhand IMO, only the fact Anne said the cost £400 which is wrong as we know. Ian Lee didn't even say anything hardly, so what's the problem, or am I missing something here? If Sony had an extended warranty in place which is only fair, then this report wouldn't have gone ahead and if it spurs Sony to do exactly that then it's nothing but a good thing IMO.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:14 pm

I've not seen the program, but i'll try and catch it on iPlayer.

One question though ismellicecream and I mean no offence by this, but would you be this angry if he was heading up a piece on the 360 seeing that the company you work for works exclusively for Sony?

I really wouldn't like you to cancel your sub, but on the otherhand I can't really refuse Iain future work because you don't like something he's said. You've put me in between a rock and a hard place.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:19 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:
ismellicecream wrote:My point has always been that I dont think theres any place in RG for Iain Lee
There isn't any place in RG for the CPC either but what can you do :wink: :wink:
Did you want that replacement issue?
:wink:

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:33 pm

To be honest, I'm more bothered with the idea of someone ranting about a programme they haven't even watched than anything that was said on it (which was largely irrelevant).

Did you react the same way about the Brass Eye paedophile episode or the Ross / Brand Saxgate radio controversy?

Next time, use iPlayer first so you don't completely undermine your arguments.
HADDOCKEN!

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:35 pm

Still don't really see the link TBH?. Regardless of the content what has his involvement in a Watchdog piece about a potential fault with PS3 hardware got to do with writing for a Retro Gaming mag?.

At the end of the day, if there is an issue with small numbers of PS3, a bit of consumer pressure resulting in an extended warranty is a good thing surely?, so you could argue that he's actually working on behalf of gamers independently of any platform. Yes the 360 has had horrific reliability issues, but M$ did recognise that by providing extended cover.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:30 pm

To be honest...i just cannot see what all the fuss is about after watching it myself.
Just a storm in a teacup thats all....
Peopleds are entitled to their opinions after all,but some people have far to much time on their hands (know what i mean?)
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:46 pm

Scapegoat wrote:Brand Saxgate radio controversy?

Next time, use iPlayer first so you don't completely undermine your arguments.
Look at the amount of people who were 'offended' by Ross/Brand when 99% of them never even heard the clip in the first place ! Just jumped on the bandwagon as they didnt like Ross or brand, pathetic that was.

But yeah total overreaction from ismellicecream because he seems to work for Sony (didnt realise that)! Watchdog wouldnt have done that segment if they didnt have people moan to them about getting a PS3 and then they stop working.

Dont think Iain Lee did anything wrong, enjoy his column in RG also.

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:53 pm

I like Iain Lee because he's speak his mind & ain't afraid of criticism & he's knows his gaming.

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:13 pm

Has there ever been a games console that hasn't, at some point in it's lifespan, been accused of excessive failure rates, manufacturing faults or the like? Certainly Watchdog did articles on the last generation, and the one before that (I seem to remember one about Dreamcast and games that didn't work). To be honest, although I completely see why people are annoyed at the tone of the report, it's simply to be expected. The games industry will survive (look at the 360 - any other electronic product with the amount of failures it had would not have succeeded, yet they have been doing well), just as it will through the next dozen attempts by the right wing press / Left wing equality groups to demonise it as the cause for all murders and crime since 400BC.

Don't agree that Iain should in some way be 'punished' though. We have a forum and we can voice our opinions here, and the letters page in RG is there too, and so should he be able too. I'm not a massive fan of his column to be honest, but thats besides the point. It would be nice to possibly invite him onto this forum to have a little discussion with ismellicecream though?

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:19 pm

resident paul wrote:I like Iain Lee because he's speak his mind & ain't afraid of criticism & he's knows his gaming.
Res, if you have a camp, I'd like to pitch my tent there. I find him very entertaining, and his columns have a different feel to the others in the mag, and this variation of style is welcome in the StickHead household.

I also find it unfair to say:
GreyFox wrote:I feel Ian Lee is a Diet light Retro Gamer, he might of had games back in the day, and other than the most popular ones, I doublt he could tell you who wrote what or who composed the music from that etc
When the guy has written of his love for the Vectrex and his unfortunate position of being ridiculed in the school playground for having the underdog system.

I haven't seen the report yet, so can't comment on that, but he has sparked discussion and debate, which is never a bad thing to do. I don't think he'll be the last gamer to nail his colours to the flag in such a partisan way, it is The Way Of Things.
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:28 pm

I've you've not seen Watchdog yet, you can catch it on iPlayer here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... 7_09_2009/

Sony's comprehensive and pre-emptively issued response can be read here:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/s ... ure-report

Dare I suggest that everyone has a look at both before commenting further? :wink:

ismellicecream

Post by ismellicecream » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:54 pm

Okay fellas, I'm not gonna quote everyone so I'll just summarise:

Firstly, re-read my original post - my point, and source of anger is that he writes for a games magazine and at the same time participate in a report that is just another sensationalist attack on the games industry. Maybe it is partially motivated by the fact he hates PS3.

Its not what he said, its the participation.

Darran, Who I work for has nothing to do with it. It angers me whenever the media uses the games industry ignorantly to get viewers, and I dislike the fact that Iain joined in, then the next day probably submits his column to you.

Like I said a few posts further, I wont really cancel my sub, but from what I read in the feedback forums, I'm not the only one who doesnt like him being in the mag, and for all the crap you put up with over the iphone and so on, this is the first negative thing I've ever said about RG.

Scapegoat - see above regarding my motivation for posting. Also read my thread title - then you can stop being bothered about me having not seen the program because my point is still valid. And no, the brass eye and ross/brand thing didnt bother me in the slightest - the only way that is even remotley relevent is that watchdog is aimed at those exact people - and it can be damaging to the games industry.

Spaceturnip - why invite him to have a 'little discussion'? If he wants to chat with me then I'm sure darren will give him my contact details.

All the other points raised can be pretty much covered by the above comments.

So the general feeling on this forum is that the media - the anne robinsons and fiona phillips' and anne diamonds of the world do not use the games industry for some cheap thrills, and subsequently give the industry a bad name with possibly damaging consequences? Most of you have no doubt moaned about the over-reactions at hot coffee or similar. So I dont like these stories and therefore I have an issue with a journalist from a game magazine contributing to an report that is negative on the industry as a whole, not just to sony.

That okay?