Iain Lee

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ismellicecream

Iain Lee

Post by ismellicecream » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:27 am

I didnt see it, but apparantly he was on watchdog last night, shitting on his own doorstep, the bug-eyed horse toothed bellend.

Does he not realise that by going on something like this he is contributing to the ignorant propaganda that the media force down the throats of the unititiated at every opportunity?

I've read this article: http://tech.uk.msn.com/gaming/article.a ... id=7838134 so its obvious where his priorities are, fanboy.

If these programs have their way, then the games industry will become a bleak and stifled source of entertainment, which means I'm out of a job, everyone at RG are out of a job, and everyone who plays games will have to twitch their curtains waiting for something interesting to happen, because there will be no games to play.

I never understood what authority he has on games anyway, other than he grew up in the 80's.

I am seriously considering cancelling my subscription to RG while he remains a columnist, because I dont wish to contribute to the wage of a two-faced idiot.

The Master

Re: Iain Lee

Post by The Master » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:45 am

ismellicecream wrote:the bug-eyed horse toothed bellend
LOL! Quote of the day :lol:

Didn't see the program, what was he talking about? Something about violence in computer games rotting our eyes?
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:51 am

ismellicecream wrote:I am seriously considering cancelling my subscription to RG while he remains a columnist, because I dont wish to contribute to the wage of a two-faced idiot.
Come on thats a bit over the top ! I like Iain Lee, find him funny, didnt see him on Watchdog last night but i wouldnt go mental if i had ! I will try and track down the program to see the highly offensive item though !

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:55 am

The Master wrote:
ismellicecream wrote:the bug-eyed horse toothed bellend
LOL! Quote of the day :lol:

Didn't see the program, what was he talking about? Something about violence in computer games rotting our eyes?
It was all about Playstations 3's and the Yellow Light of Doom. I saw a bit of it yesterday, didn't really find it that offensive to be honest.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:56 am

I thought the PS3 was geared when released to be more the Blu-Ray Player or targeting that market?, and adding the Console bit secondly, I've read the story and Ian is been a little too bias in his remarks to flaming the PS3, the problem was Sony themselives are really to blame for this feeasco for prosuming that followers of the PS2 market would shelf out £300+ becuase it was Playstation they would fall into line like sheep and $ony would concentrate on new comers with the Blu-ray angle, not caring about there fanbase in order to deliver value for next gen console to there PS2 fanbase, Grave mistake that, that's why I didn't get my PS3 until only up to 4mths ago and that's only becuase I got it all the right money. Thre Xbox360 and let be honest here, have it sown up here, even though Call Of Duty : Moderen Warefare 2 is coming to the PS3, they have no plans to support the PS3 after this game and that came from the Head developer himself, what does that tell ya?

Regarding games, people can start mentioning the Ghosterbusters blurnder, but it's a about gameplay rather than texture mapping, but at the same time, this shouldn't of happened, even though , they've released a patch since to correct the issue, and there are some brillaint games on the way "God Of War 3" , "Uncharted 2" & "Heavy Rain", which to be honest I can't wait for, but in all fairness to Micro$oft, they have planned out the strategy far superior to Sonys, with Price drops and exclusive content, why would'nt ya want to have an xbox with all this cool stuff, yet Sony's Online service is completely free, Mirco$oft, they want money, so who do you choose, Ian didn't mention that , did he?

I feel Ian Lee is a Diet light Retro Gamer, he might of had games back in the day, and other than the most popular ones, I doublt he could tell you who wrote what or who composed the music from that etc....his sideway views are entertaining, but that's about it, and If you don't like Ian Lee's Articles in the Magazine, just skip them like I do , unless it's interesting :lol:
↓↓Click Link to See More
http://www.greyfoxbooks.com

ismellicecream

Post by ismellicecream » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:05 am

psj3809 wrote:
ismellicecream wrote:I am seriously considering cancelling my subscription to RG while he remains a columnist, because I dont wish to contribute to the wage of a two-faced idiot.
Come on thats a bit over the top ! I like Iain Lee, find him funny, didnt see him on Watchdog last night but i wouldnt go mental if i had ! I will try and track down the program to see the highly offensive item though !
ShadowMan wrote:It was all about Playstations 3's and the Yellow Light of Doom. I saw a bit of it yesterday, didn't really find it that offensive to be honest.
Like I said I didnt see it, but the fact that he did a piece for watchdog at all means he has double standards, regardless of how offensive his contribution was - how can you write numerous gaming articles, make out like your a big gamer, and then do an piece on watchdog which is essentially an excuse to have a dig at the games industry?

They were apparantly slating the PS3 for only having a one year warranty and for giving a 'Yellow light of death' - every electrical product has a one year warrantly unless there is a special offer on extending it - and a lot more products have a much higher failure rate than the PS3, like say the 360 (of which Iain Lee is a fanboy). At least games consoles give you a light to tell you its broken - most other products dont do that.

Threatening to cancel my subscription may seem harsh, but I work in the industry and buying a magazine that employs someone who will contribute to damaging bandwagon articles would be a serious misjudgement of my principles.

I'm not definatley cancelling - but I am considering it - lets be honest, does he actually contribute anything worthwhile - We all know he's met Matthew Smith now.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:19 am

Dont think he can win, if he sucks up to the Playstation 3 he'll get accused of being a fanboy no doubt.

Find his articles quite amusing, i'm glad hes in the mag. Think its all a bit overblown

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:21 am

I saw Watchdog last night. It was a terrible report.

They had a go at Sony because <0.5% of PS3s have had a Yellow Light. Don't 360 have a 54% failure rate? It's something like that the last report I read.

They complained that it costs £128 for Sony to replace it when it's out of warranty (at a loss to Sony), when the people they used to demonstrate a quick fix charge £103.50 and they admitted that 4 out of the 11(?) they "fixed" had broke again. This stunt they pulled in front of the Sony offices used an oven to heat the solder in the PS3s.

They complained about a 1 year warranty. Almost everything has a 1 year warranty!

They mentioned that using a microscope they could see small bubbles on the motherboard (the solder I think it was), but the amount is less that the industry standards, and there is no evidence that that causes the yellow light. They were obviously clutching at straws with that one.

The whole thing was very unfair and childish (using "PRAT" on their van). Now I see how much of a 360 fanboy Iain is (after reading the link posted above, and seeing the show), I have gone off him. It came across as him being jealous of the PS3s reliability after he's seen how craply made the 360 is.

They also had a daft song at the end. :roll:

Overall it was pathetic, and if <0.5% failure on this particular type of failure is enough for a Watchdog report, then I would expect every electrical item ever made to be on the show.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

ismellicecream

Post by ismellicecream » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:31 am

Exactly. But even with all that aside the thing that pisses me off most is that he is taking the money off RG for being a games fan, and taking money off the BBC for contributing to their 'No-ones found a dead mouse in their KFC, what can we fill the schedule with? Aha - games industry' style of reporting.

I dont think I will cancel my subscription - I love my RG too much - but I would like to make it clear that I have no interest in his pointless column - never did anyway - I only read it for the '100% of magazine read' Trophy.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:33 am

He is a bit of a nob, but harmless enough. Although I didn't watch the program, I don't see any issue with him being on Watchdog. The industry is not our friend, well not mine anyway and I love gaming. If my PS3 broke down from next month onwards and contracted the YLOD then I'm screwed, theres no 3 year free pick up and replacement policy with the PS3 and they are dropping like flies, maybe not as much as the 360 did in it's RROD phase but it's still not good and certainly doesn't favour the consumer. If the article puts pressure on Sony to enforce a better returns policy like MS did with th RROD then good! I don't see how is our enemy for standing up against a corporation like Sony.

Wil

Post by Wil » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:50 am

I can't believe anyone takes any notice of anything that's on Watchdog. It's The Sun/Mirror/Mail/News of the World of TV consumer affairs. Someone should investigate them for rampant sensationalism.

I like Iain Lee's Lost podcast for Sky but I can't say I've found anything he's done for RG that great, yet. Sorry Iain.

TMR

Post by TMR » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:18 am

Wil wrote:I can't believe anyone takes any notice of anything that's on Watchdog. It's The Sun/Mirror/Mail/News of the World of TV consumer affairs. Someone should investigate them for rampant sensationalism.
i reckon they lost the plot around the time Lynn Faulds Wood stopped declaring everything a "potential deathtrap".

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:27 am

TMR wrote:
Wil wrote:I can't believe anyone takes any notice of anything that's on Watchdog. It's The Sun/Mirror/Mail/News of the World of TV consumer affairs. Someone should investigate them for rampant sensationalism.
i reckon they lost the plot around the time Lynn Faulds Wood stopped declaring everything a "potential deathtrap".
I find that program quite funny, you get some dumb idiot who thought it was a good idea to pay 2k to some cowboy builders up front or a grand to someone who thinks they can cure cancer or to a get rich quick scheme. Duuuuuuuuh !

firebreather

Post by firebreather » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:36 am

Will admit to being suprised when seeing him in the mag, Watchdog may claim they are all about consumer rights but like any other show they want ratings, having a dig/cheap shot at the PS3 will increase the profile of the show, and with Iain Lee they knew exactly what they'd get a biased XBOX fanyboys opinion, the piece doesnt work if they having someone speak who actually talks constrcutive sense.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:58 am

Sony have made an official response here:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/s ... ure-report

Having seen the program myself, I can only describe it as an utter travesty, and it wouldn't surprise me if they got Ofcom involved.

Still, given that they've previously had a go at Nintendo because Brain Training couldn't deal with strong accents - I kid you not - it's par for the course from Watchdog. I've nothing particularly against Lee for this; he's just doing what any media wh0re would.