pc - tv

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

mohicankid

pc - tv

Post by mohicankid » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:07 am

is it possible to connect a pc to a normal tv...ie one with only scart and fr input?

if so what cables do i need to buy?

thanks
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

Commander Jameson

Re: pc - tv

Post by Commander Jameson » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:17 am

Depends on your graphics card mainly. If you have SCART on the telly, you can put SCART or Composite into that (with an adapter). Some PC GFX Cards have either S-Video out, or a 'breakout' cable port (looks like an S-Video port, but isn't, and DON'T try ramming your SVIDEO cable into it until it works - trust me on this.)
If you have one of these ports, you should have a corresponding cable similar to SVIDEO on one end (goes into PC), and loads of different cables on the other - on mine, this converts the output to any of the following -
Composite (yellow plutg)
RGB
SVIDEO

Then you whack your composite plug into a Composite - SCART adapter, and you're off.

I can supply pics later if it helps, I have mine set up in the games room exactly how you're aiming to.

takesages

Post by takesages » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:18 am

Yeah, it's possible.

I'm not certain what way would be the easiest. I'd say getting a scart to Phono adapter with a built in S-video would be the easiest way.

Then depending on how good your graphics card is you can either connect through phono or s-video directly, or buy a VGA to s-video converter and like it that way.

Edit: The Commander beat me too it!

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:26 pm

I connected a PC from the graphics card S-Video out into a CRT via a Scart socket that had an S-Video in on it..

Thing is the picture was'nt good even after experimenting with all settings.

RIK

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:05 pm

Its fine at 640x480, which is more than enough to emulate most old systems. Its a bit fuzzy, but then so are the real consoles, so in some respects its more authentic.

If its just for emulation, even a really cheap gfx card can be picked up with S-Video output.

I used to play most of my PC games on my old CRT as the 20" screen was preferable to a 15" monitor. Fine for racing games and the like that don;t use small text. I liked to think of the blur as anti-aliasing without the GPU overheads.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

TMR

Post by TMR » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:06 am

i got a cheap GeForce 6 (i think) off teh interwebs which has a phono out on the back; that's connecting my media box to the telly and the picture is a little blurry at 800x600 but perfectly fine for games, emulators and video... i wouldn't want to use Office with it until i'd bumped up the font size, though!