12%
Unlikely
11%

Total votes: 99

mohicankid

Re: Retro Rewind (Sheffield) April 10th and 11th 2010

Post by mohicankid » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:13 am

didn't get it in the lucky dip did you?
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:16 am

mohicankid wrote:didn't get it in the lucky dip did you?
:lol: No I actually bought them. Memory like a gold fish I must have bought them at different times and forgot about the 1st. Anyone fancy a trade? :lol:
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

thl

Post by thl » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:41 am

SpiffierRabbit wrote:MohicanKid Vs SpiffierRabbit.

And SirClive as the special guest referee. :lol:

merman

Post by merman » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:05 pm

Right, first things first. Well done to Shaun for organising a fantastic event, and to all those who bought kit to play on and sell - we really do appreciate it.

Friday night was fun, even paying to get into a really terrible club that was empty was fun. Got to sleep at 2am. Saturday was excellent, pleased to get second place in the shoot 'em up competition, thrilled to meet Tony Crowther, did a fair bit of gaming and a fair bit of chatting. Slightly earlier finish after drinks in the hotel bar, got to bed at 1am. Sunday was back at 10am, bought felgekarp's stuff for sale in one job lot (thanks for the bargain price!), shot a few zombies on the Wii rather than typing them to death, helped with the clearing up and was not going to go out for drinks. But after a nice meal back at the hotel, it was back to the Cat, then onto another pub, then a club, then another club... 4am finish. Monday morning's breakfast was made better by a good long chat with Mohican Kid.

I really liked the atmosphere of this event, it was really friendly even if at times there seemed to be very few people around. Great variety of kit (winston's Spectranet, Shaun's Core Grafix and Mat's bartop being among my favourites) and the venue itself was a nice place. But the best thing was meeting so many old friends and making a few new ones (particularly Jet Set Willy, Dennoman, Squigs_ghost and more).

So, see you all in Blackpool for definite!
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:59 pm

Well where do I start... only joking, this is a short and sweet review...

First I want to thanks Shaun for organising a great show, he did really well considering he hadn't done anything like this before. Also great to meet his family who were all really friendly and also really chuffed that we raised a good chunk of cash for the worthwhile charity, and that it will be a benefit to his nephew... oh and it was great to see his little boy playing games better than his dad... :wink:

The whole thing kicked off for me on Thursday as we had the day off, so I picked up Rip Van Forson and JSW on the way, we then went to SirClives for the pre event p!ss up... and watched Liverpool on the Box in the local boozer luckily beating Benfica 4-1.. :)

We headed for Sheffield the next morning and after some wrong way and getting a bit lost hilarity we eventually managed to get to the venue.. and the weekend really kicked off.

Thought the Venue (they really did look like giant curling stones/kettles covered in copper), was great (even the comedy of the P Pod where the loos were). I thought it was the right size, bar was reasonable and food was ok. The big screen was amazing and really enhanced the experience.

It was great to meet up with the familiar crowd, with everyone seeming to be in good form and plenty of banter was flying about..

Good to meet some new people such as Dennoman, Spiffy, Squigs, space_turnip and mrs t, all really nice friendly people.. and the fact that Dennoman had come from Belgium, The Leen from Germany and Ant coming from Aberdeen on the bus, now that's dedication!

Loved playing Warlords, and winning the competition.. thanks for the help Mr Drury.. :wink:

Also enjoyed playing the footie games on that giant screen...

Really enjoyed the nite life, Devonshire Cat was a cracking boozer (never thought I'd be drinking Dusseldorf Altbier here in the UK!), most of the clubs we went in were ok, though I think The Forum was my fave.. some of the clientelle in there were a bit special... ;)

Actually really liked Sheffield, most people we met were friendly and all the shops, clubs bars etc were quite close to each other... oh and the Kebab I had at 4 am on Monday morning had the nicest chilli sauce I've ever tasted.. and the meat was layed on a bed of chips!

All in all an excellent weekend, I could not find fault in anything at all.. and that is a credit to Shaun, and all of us too, as a show is only as good as those that attend..

Only bad things in all this was running out of time and not being able to have the FIFA comp with supermario, Stevie and Meaty back at the hotel.. Mohicankid ending up in hospital (glad you're ok matey), and the fact that it is over.... :(

See you all in Blackpool...

Cheers

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:12 pm

You forgot to mention nearly breaking your leg trying to scale the Sheffield Eye at 4am on Monday morning mate!

mel the bell

Post by mel the bell » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:49 pm

Heres the speccy guys in their fave haunt

taken by Martyn Carroll

from left to right

Winston, Mel The Bell, BiNMaN, psj3809, STeaM, Mile
Last edited by mel the bell on Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On 2003-12-08 20:15, cyborg wrote:
You're all corporate bitches if you buy a console - face it. Unless it's a Phantom - in that case you're just stupid - because even if it did exist it'd be crap

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:53 pm

So in that from L to R you have...

Winston - Mel the Bell - Binman - PSJ - ??? - Mile

is that right (and who is the one I don't know)?

mel the bell

Post by mel the bell » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:00 pm

SirClive wrote:So in that from L to R you have...

Winston - Mel the Bell - Binman - PSJ - ??? - Mile

is that right (and who is the one I don't know)?
yeah sorry i meant to put that in oops

STeaM

some miles took of the speccy crew aswell
http://s43.photobucket.com/home/sharpe1814uk/set/2162
On 2003-12-08 20:15, cyborg wrote:
You're all corporate bitches if you buy a console - face it. Unless it's a Phantom - in that case you're just stupid - because even if it did exist it'd be crap

ColinD

Post by ColinD » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:52 pm

Spot on Weekend... Just posted a huge reply, then closed the preview window by mistake !!!

Quick sum up.... Really Good Show.... and ended up more of a social than anything.... even after we thought that we'd escaped the 'hardcore crew' !!

Great meeting some new faces , or just putting names to them.... My memory for names however is not 100% amazing.... so if I asked you 2 or 3 times what your name/tag was... It's just me !!

I'll do this one again.... See you guys and gals at Eurocon.... ;-)

Cheers, Colin

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:25 pm

My last main post on this thread then. Thanks for all your comments - appreciated them, me and the missus read through them all tonight and they were heartening to read.
My own list of personal thanks. This post will inevitably be edited as I keep forgetting people.

- First - My wife for allowing me to indulge in this kind of thing and wrecking the house for a couple of weeks.
- Second - Steve (Felgekarp) for having to listen to my anxieties via PM and phone, supplying some great stuff and being there from beginning to end. A very generous and overall top guy!
- The bar manager at the Union after the Union Manager (his boss) forgot to tell him we were there all night and the place almost closed at 7pm (!). The staff and security agreed to work until 11pm.
- My fellow Sheffielders/Chesterfielders, Oli_Lar, Commander Jameson and Random_Dave for their support
- Starship_UK for his TVs and general support
- Arcadian for setting up the website that helped sell a number of tickets.
- Previous event runners Lorfarious, Boyo, Witchfinder and SirClive for their supportive comments/kit/guests and other stuff. SirClive for also not accepting that a night out is ever over! :)
- MohicanKid for encouraging so many people to stick their hand in his bin of mystery! :)
- Paul Drury for making me feel semi-important! :)
- Tony Crowther, Archer Maclean, Martyn Carroll and Jamie Woodhouse for being there and saying nice stuff also. Decided not to interview any of them or anything and just let them potter!
- Antiriad2097. Really supportive and helpful during the entire show. A good laugh!
- Merman for some good conversation on Sunday night
- DPrinny. Thanks for the XArcade stick, amazing!
- Filecore. Another top guy, didn't talk about teaching with me (a plus!) and always a great seller at these events!
- Markopoloman. Always a friendly guy and was chuffed his son got into the pub undetected! :)
- Woody Cool - always positive and agreeing to an interview with my cousin on video - intersting to see how that turns put!
- BoggyB68, JetSetWilly, Pforson and all the others at the Devonshire Cat, Cavendish and other pubs. I was out 3 nights in a row and I'm now not allowed out until 2011. :)
- Rinoa, Black Panther, ColinD, Dennoman, SpiifierRabbit, Lorfarius, GMintyFresh and everyone who turned up.

See you at Eurocon and R3PLAY. :)

P.S.
Photos! Post or email them to me by Thursday - thanks!
ImageShaun
Total rasied £1611
Well done to all
Last edited by sscott on Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:43 am

well done Shaun, a great effort. Have some relaxing gaming time now :wink:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

winston

Post by winston » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:11 am

OK, I have a caption competition:

mile

Post by mile » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:45 am

i had a great time

big thanks to sscott and all the others for organizing a great event

big boo's to premier inn for managing to lock my debit card, not letting me pay in cash and thus making me go home on saturday night. also big thanks to all those who offered me a bed, especially antraid who i had only just met :wink:

i even managed to play on a retro machine this time, shame i dont drive as i would like to have bought some stuff, and my bag was already full.

it was nice meeting the few of you tha ti know, and a few new faces tha ti hope to see again.

also big thanks for taking me clubbing sat nght, i think it was boggy, sir clive, the guy that looked like sylar and a few others who i have forgotton, cheers lads. :)

looking forward to blackpool now.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:49 am

mile wrote:the guy that looked like sylar
That is Penis Pete :D