Possibility
12%
Unlikely
11%

Total votes: 99

resident paul

Re: Retro Rewind (Sheffield) April 10th and 11th 2010

Post by resident paul » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:29 pm

Had a really great time there pity my Ti keeps overheating causing to crash maybe bring another one next time.
I had a late tea(or dinner) due to filecore with his GPS phone to take a 5min walk to a 40min walk to Subway because Jon a veggie & I should follow my nose to the kebab place & got back sooner.
Nice to meet familiar faces + new ones.
The hot dog stand was a blessing at lunch time.
Thanks Shaun for putting a great event.
When on leaving the event it took ages trying to get out of Sheffield city centre because of the one-way system.

mel the bell

Post by mel the bell » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:07 pm

talking of veggies me and antiriad are long time veggies too...those hot dogs i was sat next to smelt lovely tho :P
On 2003-12-08 20:15, cyborg wrote:
You're all corporate bitches if you buy a console - face it. Unless it's a Phantom - in that case you're just stupid - because even if it did exist it'd be crap

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:07 pm

pforson wrote: Micro Machines is still the only game I am king of (although THB is a steely competitor)
I was trying to find you for a game on Micro Machines, after I apparantly missed the impromptu tournament and then had a close, hard faught win over THB. I had no idea what you looked like though, so it wasn't easy.

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:12 pm

If I had more time I'd have individually put avatars on badges but that seemed like a lot of effort!

pforson

Post by pforson » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:30 pm

Space_turnip wrote:
pforson wrote: Micro Machines is still the only game I am king of (although THB is a steely competitor)
I was trying to find you for a game on Micro Machines, after I apparantly missed the impromptu tournament and then had a close, hard faught win over THB. I had no idea what you looked like though, so it wasn't easy.
:) - I think I saw you on Sunday afternoon stood with your lady. By that point I was far too tired to even focus. Maybe next time.

p.s
I look like Chevy. Obviously ;)
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:36 pm

Much too knackered to draft an in depth and coherent 2 pennithworth tonight... will do a report tomorrow , will give me summat to do at work.. ;)

Cheers

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

mel the bell

Post by mel the bell » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:43 pm

boggyb68 wrote:Much too knackered to draft an in depth and coherent 2 pennithworth tonight... will do a report tomorrow , will give me summat to do at work.. ;)

Cheers

B.
yeah its tiring winning everything innit?
On 2003-12-08 20:15, cyborg wrote:
You're all corporate bitches if you buy a console - face it. Unless it's a Phantom - in that case you're just stupid - because even if it did exist it'd be crap

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:46 pm

mel the bell wrote:
boggyb68 wrote:Much too knackered to draft an in depth and coherent 2 pennithworth tonight... will do a report tomorrow , will give me summat to do at work.. ;)

Cheers

B.
yeah its tiring winning everything innit?
I wouldn't know Mel, I only have one Golden Joystick here... :)

I "let " Filecore have the other one I was destined to win... ;)

I s'pose the raffle went ok for me, didn't win the mint boxed SNES I had my eye on though... :(

B.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:02 pm

Right, I am awake enough to leave my few sentances, but then it is back to bed!

Firstly, Shaun - you did a sterling job, twas a superb show but I may need to send you the bill for my stint in rehab! The venue was awesome. I liked that there were more sellers than at previous shows and although you could have sold many more tickets it did feel a lot more of community thing to have virtually everyone from the same forum.

Had a fantastic weekend with the Boys From The Dwarf - Boggy, Penis Pete, JSW, Witchy; you lot make a mean retro posse. Its a shame we only get together a few times a year. Drank far more than I thought I was physically capable of, but that has just set the pace for the next event ;)

SuperM, Meaty, Stevie - You guys are always a laugh. Shame you couldn't keep up with us English on saturday night though ;)

Dennoman - What a character! Loved your northern and southern English accents (you faaackin ca.....)

All the rest of the usual suspects and the newbies too - you all make these events the success that they are so keep coming!

Dennoman

Post by Dennoman » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:02 pm

Thanks to everyone, I had a cracking time :)

I only just got home (around 10:30 GMT). I was hoping to get here at least an hour earlier, but a series of delays and mix-ups in the very last part of my journey sadly thought otherwise. It was great meeting the faces behind the avatars. I had a load of nice and long talks, even with people who I didn't even bother to ask their nicknames :mrgreen:

A quick rundown of names that stuck (off the top of my head):

- Sscott: obviously for making it all happen (thanks for rigging the raffle as well, I'll send you the 10 quid later. Oh wait, shi...)
- Dam: first person I actually had a talk with, great to see you somehow got round to enjoying Alien vs. Predator on the err... "Jagwire"
- Lorfarius: YT legend in the flesh indeed, I'll never wash that hand again!
- TwoHeadedBoy: brilliant chappy, made me crack up more than once with his stereotypical British wit.
- SpiffierRabbit: thanks for the SF sessions, thank God my thumb isn't in as bad a shape as yours :p
- Squigs_ghost: Stevie! Brilliant roomie, taught me a lot about the British educational system... and gaming, obviously gaming.
- Mohicankid: plz don't Irish Whip me :cry:
- SirClive and his mate (see, I don't ask everyone about their nickname :roll: ): I *will* hold you to those drunk promises for transport and lodging if I decide to do the Blackpool event, I hope you realise that :D
- Merman: walking encyclopedia about anything gaming-related you can think of, censored amazing.
- DPrinny: for the Deal of the Event for me, I've been after a reasonably priced Guilty Gear X2 Re-Load for AGES and he gives it to me for 2 quid!
- woodycool: thanks for the fighting tournament mate, I'm sure you just let me off easy :p
- tommyg: for proving that point. :oops:
- Antiriad2097: cracking bloke as well, only Scotsman I talked to and he actually was on the road longer than me :shock:

... and of course everyone else I'm forgetting :) thank you in bundles ^^

Also, if ever looking for cheap and good grub in Sheffield, try No. 1 Asian Buffet! I wandered in there before going to the pub on Sunday, £6.49 for an all-you-can-eat and they even charged me the 50p student discount! They took my word for it, basically I showed them my Belgian student card, might as well have showed them my bus pass really :lol:
Last edited by Dennoman on Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Always on the look-out for fighting games!
Have any stray ones laying about? Let me know and we'll try to give them a cosy new home.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:04 pm

Space_turnip wrote: Cheers to everyone I did speak to though, Witchfinder, SirClive, Woody.cool, Twoheadedboy (i'm not as tall as you thought? Did you think I was a giant or something? :lol:)
For some reason, I had this image of you resembling a llama with glasses. Can't think where I got that idea from...
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:08 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention what a party animal Merman is once he gets a few ciders down him!
Any chance you can post that CD (of the awesome local band we saw at The Forum) to me at some point Andrew?

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:12 pm

Dennoman wrote:Thanks to everyone, I had a cracking time :)

- SirClive and his mate (see, I don't ask everyone about their nickname :roll: ): I *will* hold you to those drunk promises for transport and lodging if I decide to do the Blackpool event, I hope you realise that :D
That was me! :)

Great to meet you too and glad you enjoyed it... here's to Blackpool...

Cheers

B.

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:30 pm

SirClive wrote:Oh, I forgot to mention what a party animal Merman is once he gets a few ciders down him!
Any chance you can post that CD (of the awesome local band we saw at The Forum) to me at some point Andrew?
merman and i waited in the lobby for you with your disk, must have missed you!

WOW what a weekend!
need to give a couple of huge thankyou's, first and formost to shaun for going to all the effort to set up a great event for us!
i know you feel bad that i missed the sat' but don't, i had a great time!
thank you costs nothing to say, and i am certainly not ashamed of letting you know how truly greatfull i am!

antiriad, you sir are a true gent! anyone who can calmly deal with me passing out and throwing up all over the place, deserves a medal! i do feel bad for putting a negative on the weekend, but am greatfull for you'r friendship! :)

every one who had a go on the lucky dip...THANKYOU, we got a total £200 from the dip and raffle, which is great! i know a lot of you ended up with a lot of tat, and i am truly greatfull to those who had multiple try's! (felge' spent over £20 on the dip alone!!!)

i will talk more on my weekend later, but mostly i want to thank the nice people at shefeild general who looked after me, i know they won't see this, but i am realy greatfull for the care they gave me! and for allowing me to enjoy my sunday at the venue!
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:03 pm

Its all been said already, but it deserves saying again: Congratulations and my heartfelt thanks to Shaun for putting on the event. It was a cracking venue and a great couple of days, you knocked your pan in but it was well worth it. Apologies for being a bit pished on the Sunday night and talking nonsense on the way home.

I don't want to do a roll call as there's too many to mention and I'll inevitably miss someone out, but I've a couple of special mentions:

Dennoman, may have got there faster, but the expense and effort of going cross country from Belgium puts my trip to shame. Great to meet you.

SIR86, a big thanks for letting me do my fanboy bit and signing your game, then going as far as digging out old E3 promo exclusive stuff for it and bringing it in the next day. And then giving me the deal of the weekend on the Virtual Pinball controller - I'm loving that thing (though I'm not so sure Mrs Ant will). You're an absolute gent and it was great to finally chat to you in person.

Everyone else who took the time to chat, play, sell and all the rest, you know who you are. It was great to meet people old and new, your company was a pleasure (even the bits where you were unconscious ;) ).

And finally, for all those who expressed their concern...

Yes, all my luggage made it safely home ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.