Would this be a difficult job?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

rossi46

Would this be a difficult job?

Post by rossi46 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:51 am

I'm looking for a new direction. This morning I've seen a job advertised that I have no formal qualifications in, but have been doing in some form or another for the last ten years. Do you think it would be difficult or stressful?

Here's a cut 'n'paste of the bare bones:

"An exciting opportunity has now arisen for a Systems Manager to join the existing team. The successful individual will be responsible for technical and administrative support of the organisation's computer and network hardware, operating systems, applications and infrastructure. Reporting to the Head of Information Systems, the position will also involve the management of technical support staff and liaison with staff based in remote sites.

The Systems Manager will be responsible for:

· Core systems administration and support including:

o Linux and MS Windows Database, File/Print, Application and Gateway Servers
o Disaster Recovery
o Hardware Support
o OS Support
o Database Administration
o Networks
o Internet/Intranet
o Monitoring

· User support and site system support
· General support and administration such as computer room design and layout and site moves
· System implementation and integration
· Documentation..."

I think that if I don't apply to do something like this now, then I never will. I'm also acutely aware of the old saying about "when your hobby becomes your job, then it's time to die (or something.... :mrgreen: )
Thoughts and prayers.

psj3809

Re: Would this be a difficult job?

Post by psj3809 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:58 am

Give it a go, must admit i sent off my cv this morning just then to see if i could get a job, its a 1 year contract in Scotland working for Sky, i wouldnt accept it but just testing the waters.

But apply for it and see how it goes, a lot depends on the interviewer, sometimes you get a good one, if you get a dire techy boring one they're often a nightmare. Seems like you have a lot of hands on experience in all of that which hopefully will count.

Good luck with it

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:05 am

Go for it mate, worth taking the opportunity if you're looking for a change.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:12 am

I just thought being a long time Linux user and computer builder and also the person (sucker...?) that most of my friends and family call on when they've got either a new PC or network to set up or other problems to sort out, would maybe get my foot in the door. I'm not naiive enough to think I'd have any kind of fighting chance if I was up against some fresh uni graduate with an IT doctorate or equivalent, but I thought I'd stick my CV in and see.

Plus, Google is always your friend if you're stuck....
Thoughts and prayers.

takesages

Post by takesages » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:16 am

No reason not to go for it.

Having worked in both 3rd and 1st line IT support I can tell you that you've got very little chance of getting that job without any previous experience or IT certificates, though.

Not to be negative but I don't think we had a single person in our office that wasn't at least A+ certified... and that was back before the recession. Right now I've got friends leaving Uni with proper IT Degrees that are struggling to get jobs like that :[

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:24 am

A lot depends upon what you inherit. If the last guy in the chair was a mess it could be a nightmare, if he was super-efficient you could find you die of boredom.

In my experience a lot of work in those positions is stuff that could be fixed but is left hanging around so that techies always have a nice easy job to do whenever they need to look busy. I made the mistake of fixing some of that stuff when I arrived in this post (DBA) looking all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed and thinking it would make a good impression.

pforson

Post by pforson » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:48 am

If the company is anything like the company I work for then I think it would be a very difficult job. It also depends what industry the company is working in, I think that where I work they would only really consider people with experience working for post houses.
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:10 am

Qualifications help but are not the be all and end all of everything. I have found in the past a lot of it comes down to the interview. If you are confident of your skills and are a great communicator with good character then that will go much further than any qualification will on it's own. Combine that with a good solid work history there's absolutely no reason you won't get it.

It's all about what you want, it' there for the taking if you have the self belief. Good luck!

takesages

Post by takesages » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:16 am

Qualifications are pretty much everything in the IT sector. That's both from personal experience and being told by an IT recruitment agency on my first job.

We're not talking degrees so much here, but how many people do you think say "Hey, I know about computers, I can do this job?"... you need proof that you know about computers as much as the next guy, which is why the IT sector is so reliant on certifications like the MCSE, CompTIA and Cisco stuff.

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:40 am

Good luck with it mate, go for it!

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:53 am

takesages wrote:Qualifications are pretty much everything in the IT sector. That's both from personal experience and being told by an IT recruitment agency on my first job.

We're not talking degrees so much here, but how many people do you think say "Hey, I know about computers, I can do this job?"... you need proof that you know about computers as much as the next guy, which is why the IT sector is so reliant on certifications like the MCSE, CompTIA and Cisco stuff.
There are many, many different factors which enable a candidate to become successful at an interview. Sometimes it's who you know not what you know, there are so many personal factors which makes you successful at any job not just qualification, and IT is not immune from this. He may have to sit an aptitude test to prove his intellectual worth, but unless the actual application states in black and white that qualifications are not just preferred but are compulsory then he is in with a shot. Stop with the negativity dood, it's not good for anything.

Good luck rossi!

takesages

Post by takesages » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:02 am

I already said he should go for it, dood.

I'm just saying that Blue sky thinking in the current job climate is hardly well placed. Don't confuse realism for negativity.

beerman

Post by beerman » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:03 am

rossi46 wrote:Do you think it would be difficult or stressful?
You're asking the wrong question there. What you should be asking yourself is:
"Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

No wait, not that one. This one:
"Do you think I would enjoy doing this?"

Ain't nobody here can answer that one but you.

Difficult and stressful aren't necessarily a bad thing. Boring will kill you every time.
I'm making a game in one month -See how I get on!
Or check out my old stuff

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:12 am

Having worked in IT all my post-uni life I have to say that qualifications have never seemed important - very far from the quote above that "Qualifications are everything". I find that claim baffling.

Even the vocational certificates (MicroSoft etc.) always seemed to be regarded with a certain amount of scepticism. A degree, any degree, seems well regarded mainly because it suggests you someone who will stick at something throughout it's lifecycle.

However, every IT company on the planet was founded by somebody who dropped out of uni.

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:13 am

takesages wrote:told by an IT recruitment agency
Ah... that explains it :)