Have you kept in contact with any of your school friends ?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Morkin

Have you kept in contact with any of your school friends ?

Post by Morkin » Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:29 pm

I left Grammar School in 1987 & I've just realised that I haven't seen anyone from my last year at school for the past 10 years or so ! :shock: Where did they all go ? When I left school, I thought I'd always see some of them around my local town, but I haven't. I know a few went to Uni, so they've doubtless moved away, but what of the other hundred or so kids ?

Is anyone here in regular contact with their old school chums ?

Wil

Post by Wil » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:47 pm

I left school in 1980 and have two 'best' friends from then who I see and talk to (even though we don't live in the same town anymore) all the time on MSN. I've been in touch with a few others via Friends Reunited who I have email chats with once or twice a year and loads of others who I only had the one 'I remember you' mail.

I must admit it was strange. The day I left was the last day I saw loads of faces I'd lived with for years. It was the same after college.

One of my new year's resolutions is to make more time for friends.

Del Boy

Post by Del Boy » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:14 pm

Yep, I left school in 1988 and still see a few of my old school friends regularly.

One of them was best man at my wedding, and we go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week :)

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:02 pm

I still occasionally keep in touch with one I knew from junior school.

As for senior school, I was bullied by a group of them while I was there and I hope they all slowly die in a chemical fire.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

Del Boy

Re:

Post by Del Boy » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:52 pm

Frank Chickens wrote: I was bullied by a group of them while I was there and I hope they all slowly die in a chemical fire.
Our old school bully died from a drug overdose 3 years ago aged 30!

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:44 am

I was bullied right up to the point I threw one of them through a table.

Then it mysteriously stopped.

They tended to get a little shocked when you fought back, especially if you don't fight fair.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

roberthazelby

Re:

Post by roberthazelby » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:04 am

Frank Chickens wrote:As for senior school, I was bullied by a group of them while I was there and I hope they all slowly die in a chemical fire.
:cry:

Kids can be such bastards to each other. I wasn't a bully at school, but still sometimes think back to things I did to other classmates and think 'What an arsehole'.

I never really suffered from bullying at school, but still get a warm feeling inside every time I see them appearing in the 'In The Courts' section of my local paper.

Frank, you'll probably find that most of that lot will have got what they deserved somewhere down the line.

merman

Post by merman » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:36 am

Bullying is one of the reasons why I don't want to get in touch with people from my school... Met the odd one or two over the (15) years since I left. But my best friend is now in Washington DC, so I don't get to see him that often...

James A

Post by James A » Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:40 am

One guy i was in school with gave me so much sh*t for four years until he left when he was 16 to do some dead end job. When i finsihed uni i came back home and went for a drink i my local. low and behold this guy started mouthing off at me at the bar. One of my mates told me who it was i.e mr bully. Basically something snapped im me and i ended up dragging him out of the bar after one more comment and spending the next five minutes battering him all over the car park. I don't like violence but sometimes you really do have to stand up fr yourself and put a person like that in there place.

Also my best frined from primary school works for Electronic Arts!!

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:30 am

I was also bullied at school. :( So thinking about it, that's probably the reason that I don't see anyone that I used to know. I am seeing them, but I'm mentally blocking them out if that makes sense.

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:13 pm

Thanks for your support people, it is appreciated. 8)

Robert, I can only dream of the moment. :)

Morkin, I understand where you are coming from here and it makes perfect sense as it makes things easier.

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:58 pm

I see the odd person from school around town but I didn't really have a great deal of friends at school (just a few) and I don't really see them...

roberthazelby

Post by roberthazelby » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:14 pm

I keep in touch with one or two via email, but there's only one school mate who I see on a regular basis.

I was his best man earlier this year, and I was the person who got him together with his Mrs in the first place as she was someone I worked with.

Now, when's the bugger going to return the favour and find me some tasty bit of stuff? ;)

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:50 am

<Sends Robert the link for The Hun> :wink:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:21 am

I don't really keep in touch with anyone now. I kept up with my best mate for the first few years, but then he left to work down south then abroad so lost touch. Latterly I was a bit of a drunken arse so I don't think he's inclined to look me up, though I think he's back home now :cry:

I've bumped into the odd person at work (down the dole), but its not a place people really want to hang about and chat. Mostly I don't want to talk to them anyway, its usually the numpties who come in.

I did run into a lassie who had a big crush on me at school that I didn't realise until too late. She's turned out alright, which is nice. Against the odds I must have been vaguely fanciable at school :lol:

Going by Friends Reunited, it seems most of the people I did get on with have scattered across the country now.

Fortunately didn't get much hassle from bullies myself. I was lucky enough to be in the middle ground - bright enough to find school easy, but brave enough to muck about. Thoroughly enjoyed myself through most of secondary school, especially 5th year where O Grades were out of the way and I realised this was my last chance at being completely carefree.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.