American Childhood

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Rinoa

Re: American Childhood

Post by Rinoa » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:01 pm

America would be one of the last places I'd want to grow up. Although I hated the place where I grew up and absolutely loathed school, I'm still glad I grew up where I did as it was possibly one of the safest places to be and I did have some good times with mates in college and when I was in the air cadets.

Almost ended up moving to Norway when I was 14, but the plans fell through at the very last minute. Absolutely devestated at the time, but now I'm really grateful we didn't. The grass is always greener... and all that.

vp002

Post by vp002 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:48 am

Hmm i think Rinoa has a point here , america is Nothing like the Tv america which people seem to judge it on, i have a friend whos in texas after marrying a mexican and he says its tough out there and not as easy as he thought. Also got another friend who thinks the streets are paved with gold and hot women who'll fall for his cocker nee accent all this as he watches too much Yank tv and smokes too much spliff !

vp002

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:29 am

I always thought it would be cool to have my own locker, every teen film you see in school involves someone and a locker at some point. I think i would have preferred to go to school in the 50/60s rather than the nows, it would be more fun.

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:37 am

:shock: Abso-frigging-lutely not! I can't imaging anything worse!
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:42 am

necronom wrote::shock: Abso-frigging-lutely not! I can't imaging anything worse!
DId you have a bad time out there then ? I do hope youre basing this on past experience ?

On the other side of the coin its like americans who dont have a passport (dont get me wrong, America is huge, tons to see and do) and seem to know everything about the world.

If people have been to the US and hated it fair enough, but i hope people arent judging it from what they see on tv/news/shows etc ! Thats as bad as some american thinking we all meet the Queen and drink cups of tea non stop. The 3 times i've been i've loved it, same for my relatives who regularly go over there.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:42 am

Rinoa wrote:I'm still glad I grew up where I did as it was possibly one of the safest places to be
Are we still talking about Liverpool ?? ;)

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:53 am

I guess what we see on TV and in movies are middle class American kids in middle class suburbs in decent areas of America.

That's the bit i like.

Not the ghetto's or bad bits of the country that you only see in drug documentaries and crime films. All countrys have good and bad bit's.

I would like to have lived the good bit obviously. :)

RIK

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:59 am

I'd rather go back to Cuba than ever live in the USA. Not only I deem their government as a terrorist lobby-controlled authoritarian turd but their obvious social problems and hypocritical "morality" where tits and gay rights are outrageous atrocities and violence and guns are second to lollipops, and where you just have to base all your illegal and obnoxious deeds on "homeland security" for them to be blessed enrages me. Because God blesses America right?

Sorry if this offends any American forum member, I have nothing against the common people but againts the government and more importantly the corporations that enslave your unfortunate society.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:04 am

harlequ1n wrote:I'd rather go back to Cuba than ever live in the USA. Not only I deem their government as a terrorist lobby-controlled authoritarian turd but their obvious social problems and hypocritical "morality" where tits and gay rights are outrageous atrocities and violence and guns are second to lollipops, and where you just have to base all your illegal and obnoxious deeds on "homeland security" for them to be blessed enrages me. Because God blesses America right?

Sorry if this offends any American forum member, I have nothing against the common people but againts the government and more importantly the corporations that enslave your unfortunate society.
Would rather live in America than a country which they kill bulls for fun and are quite happy going along poisoning all the stray cats/dogs which people have abandoned. ;)

Seriously most governments are the same, the US is the most powerful and one of the largest countries in the world so i doubt it'll ever be perfect.

Saw a news item the other day going on about airport security checking pakistani people more than whites, i mean thats not racist. Back in the early 80's anyone with an irish accent had the same trouble going to an airport or near Buckingham palace etc. Just common sense. The police had a description of Timothy McVeigh , the oklahoma bomber so obviously looked for white guys who looked similar.

Because of terrorists the world has totally changed. The times i've been to the US the people have been super friendly, met a lot of great people and had a great time. I could have gone off on a rant out there about their government and corporations but i think most people would be bored to death with that just as if i heard someone in the UK banging on about the government here, yawn yawn yawn.

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:08 am

I started visiting the US with my folks as my old man had a job in the airlines, so 10% tickets and occassional free travel over there (mostly at christmas when my old man was working) was quite frequent.

Strange to say but I think I fell for the cars over there more so than anything else. Several years of watching TV shows such as The A Team, Knight Rider and Starsky & Hutch probably helped!

Then in 1995, I started venturing over there on my own. Between 95 and 2000 I lived there for three years and enjoyed every minute. There was a lot I liked and a little I didn't. I lived/worked in Texas (San Antonio, Hunt and Dallas), Wisconsin (Eagle River), Minnesota (Brainerd, St.Paul and Minneapolis) and New York (Poughkeepsie).

I was lucky enough to encounter and be a part of school life the first year I went over, and it's not too unlike what you see in the films.

In smaller towns there is a greater sense of community. Everybody knows everybody, generally they are all very welcoming and hospitable, and the best thing is that the majority of 16-25 year olds all hang out together, going off and starting big parties in the middle of forests (so they can't get busted by the police)

Things I like :

Big Breakfasts - And by BIG I mean enormous. Eat a big breakfast and you wouldn't need to eat again until the evening. Gotta love pancakes and maple syrup!

Cars - Probably just me, but they have some really cool looking cars, pick up trucks.

Sport - Much prefer American football (go Vikings!) to football. I LOVE following basketball too, and although I'll probably get slated for saying this, am a huge fan of Nascar. Can't stand F-1 as it bores me to death.

Ranch Flavoured Pringles - The most amazing flavour of Pringles. And you can't buy them in this ountry :(

Things I don't like :

Rednecks : The bane of my life when living in Texas. Rude, arrogant, racist, generally quite thick and occassionaly "keepin it in the family" in-bred twats.

Accent Fuss : If you have a different accent, then you'll be worshipped/hassled in equal amounts. It starts of great fun as it's a great (and very easy) way to pull chicks. But when EVERYONE keeps asking you to speak, just so they can hear it - it gets VERY annoying. The James Bond references also get quite boring.

Country Proud - Some of them take it too far with their whole "I'm American, therfore I AM awesome" stance/attitude.
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

ismellicecream

Post by ismellicecream » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:10 am

harlequ1n wrote:terrorist lobby-controlled authoritarian turd
My favourite phrase of the day. :lol:

I wanted to run around the streets of a night with a girl, avoiding zombies.

A bit like shopping in liverpool.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:31 am

EvilArmourKing wrote:Things I don't like :

Rednecks : The bane of my life when living in Texas. Rude, arrogant, racist, generally quite thick and occassionaly "keepin it in the family" in-bred twats.

Accent Fuss : If you have a different accent, then you'll be worshipped/hassled in equal amounts. It starts of great fun as it's a great (and very easy) way to pull chicks. But when EVERYONE keeps asking you to speak, just so they can hear it - it gets VERY annoying. The James Bond references also get quite boring.

Country Proud - Some of them take it too far with their whole "I'm American, therfore I AM awesome" stance/attitude.
Didnt meet any rednecks when i was there but you get them everywhere, look at us and our tons of chavs ! I loved the accent fuss when i was over ! Back in 2000 Austin Powers had just come out so i had that a ton, if anything i put it on a bit too much and kept saying 'bloody ell mate' and that !

The country proud thing some people might go overboard on but i was quite jealous of that, over here everyone seems to slate the state of the country, want to emigrate, really liked the way people were patriotic with their flags etc.

First time i went to Atlanta, that was superb with the accents, damn i love those southern accents ! Then twice to Oakland (To see the Raiders and have a holiday), hope to go again next year perhaps.

To be fair there are worse places to go to, this looks scary, hope for their sakes it wasnt boiling hot that day....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8245290.stm

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:24 pm

psj3809 wrote:The country proud thing some people might go overboard on but i was quite jealous of that, over here everyone seems to slate the state of the country, want to emigrate, really liked the way people were patriotic with their flags etc.
That might just be an English problem, you'd be hard pushed not to find a patriotic Scot. I love being Scottish, but I'm also of the opinion we should be an American state, so I guess I want the best of both.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:35 pm

I don't know...if it was like the TV shows with the pretty cheerleaders, always getting laid by hot college girls then hell yeah but if it means being one of the biggest targets in the world for terrorism, having guns everywhere and never knowing if a random psycho is going to walk into your school with an AK-47 then I'd rather stick with England.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:37 pm

Megamixer wrote:I don't know...if it was like the TV shows with the pretty cheerleaders, always getting laid by hot college girls then hell yeah but if it means being one of the biggest targets in the world for terrorism, having guns everywhere and never knowing if a random psycho is going to walk into your school with an AK-47 then I'd rather stick with England.
But thats very OTT. Its like someone living outside of the UK thinking english people will get stabbed by chavs every week etc. If you've been there and had problems there then fair enough but just sounds very very OTT from someone who hasnt been there.