American Childhood

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RetroRik

American Childhood

Post by RetroRik » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:43 am

Did you / do you ever wish you had grown up in American society.

I still love watching things like 'The Wonder Years' and many of the American teen movies about High School and University type things.
( Many from the 80's.)

I just like the idea of school kids being big on sports and supporting their teams in large numbers, bands, cheerleeders, jocks and geeks.
Going to the Mall to hang out. Holidays up at the lake, parties and so on.

I remember as a teenager watching American football on C4 and the series with Alan Whicker travelling around America..
"Whicker's World--Living with Uncle Sam"

After watching that i started saving because i wanted to move to America so much.. Of course it never happened.

It would also be interesting for any American friends on here to tell us if teenage life in the U.S is anything like we are led to believe.?

RIK

psj3809

Re: American Childhood

Post by psj3809 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:08 am

Would have loved to have grown up in the US, just love the sports over there and would have loved to have played little league baseball or football and go into college etc and hopefully play there.

The times i've been over there i've totally loved it. Nothing how some peoples stereotypical view of it is, granted if i had gone over and had a nightmare i would be moaning about how bad it was but everytime i've been there it was superb. The tailgate parties they have before the actual games are amazing.

Plus its great the different cultures etc, went out with a latino girl for a few years, one of her friends was half native american/irish, another was half latino half italian, so many stunners ! But best of all they love an english accent, go over there talking like censored van Dyke and say silly english phrases and you'll be back in England walking like John Wayne

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:17 am

Like censored Van Dyke? Man you gotta love the forum filters :D :D

Yee, and indeed, haaw!
Thoughts and prayers.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:27 am

rossi46 wrote:Like censored Van Dyke? Man you gotta love the forum filters :D :D

Yee, and indeed, haaw!
Ha yeah i saw that but i thought i would leave it in, do find forum filters amusing sometimes !

ismellicecream

Post by ismellicecream » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:28 am

:lol:

I always wanted to live in a little speilberg suburb, like ET, or a seaside resort like Amity island. But then again I want a christmas like in Kingston Falls (Gremlins).

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:29 am

psj3809 wrote:Would have loved to have grown up in the US, just love the sports over there and would have loved to have played little league baseball or football and go into college etc and hopefully play there.

The times i've been over there i've totally loved it. Nothing how some peoples stereotypical view of it is, granted if i had gone over and had a nightmare i would be moaning about how bad it was but everytime i've been there it was superb. The tailgate parties they have before the actual games are amazing.

Plus its great the different cultures etc, went out with a latino girl for a few years, one of her friends was half native american/irish, another was half latino half italian, so many stunners ! But best of all they love an english accent, go over there talking like censored van Dyke and say silly english phrases and you'll be back in England walking like John Wayne
Get it wrong and you'll be walking like John McCririck.... :)

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

mile

Post by mile » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:34 am

it'd be awful.

you go to a summer camp, and some freak in a hockey mask stabs you to death

you go swimming in the sea and some shark bites you to death

you try to have a hallowe'en pary and some mentalist stabs you to death.

you take a shy girl to the prom and she turns he whole event into a blood bath

you go to the cinema and some mental clown tries to eat you.

and if you manage to get through the day without being slaughtered you finally fall asleep and some nutjob comes into your dreams and stabs you.

gahh, give me a good old british childhood with a peado and a box of puppies.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:34 am

i rather grow up in a society that doesnt legalise guns....

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:40 am

I'd love to go to america and sample the various foods, drink and places of the country. Southern style foods in New Orleans, local ales down the east coast, go to Olympia national park etc:

American childhood I'm not that bothered about - being a proud Yorkeshireman I wouldn't wish to be from anywhere else! However I would love to have a pick-up truck to drive around in like in the last starfighter :lol:

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:57 am

As far as I'm concerned the only good thing that America has to offer is breakfast. Breakfasts over there are amazing, nothing beats a plate with pancakes/scrambles eggs/sausages/mushrooms/bacon all drenched in maple syrup. Beautiful :P

They should franchise iHoP over here, I'd never leave.

Waffles aren't that good though, they get boring quickly.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:59 am

Amazing thing about american law.Your fate could be decided by geography.Example one state might give you an life sentence.Whilst another can offer death penalty
Last edited by Fred83 on Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:00 am

Would love to have grown up in the America portrayed in films, not so much the real US though.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

pforson

Post by pforson » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:02 am

Do they serve Green King IPA over there?

More to the point, can I get Green King IPA in Huddersfield?
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

takesages

Post by takesages » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:53 am

Would I like to have grown up like Stand By Me with walks through the wood and Stephen King as my dad? Yeah totally!

Does every American do that, then, dood?

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:51 am

mile wrote:gahh, give me a good old british childhood with a peado and a box of puppies.
Exactly. You know where you just stand (well, kneel) with a good old fashioned British nonce.

---------------

One thing thats corny but I wished we had when I was young was all that "school spirit" stuff. Like with sports. I represented my secondary school at basketball, football and some athletic events and nobody ever came to watch and it was seen as an inconvinience (except athletics, you got a day off for that!) and if someone said, "Hey shall we go and watch the school football team after school?" then nobody would go with them and they would be considered slightly weird for suggesting it.

I wouldnt have liked an American childhood though, because in my head every school was like Bayside High but in reality it probably wasent.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81