Derren Brown attempts to predict Wednesday's lottery numbers

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Team Alfie

Derren Brown attempts to predict Wednesday's lottery numbers

Post by Team Alfie » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:07 pm

Well, don't we all?

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpres ... -AMh_TbhUQ

So assuming this is a 'trick' and he isn't just wasting everyone's time with the most inevitable career-ending failure ever seen on TV, it does indeed bring up many questions. Firstly, what's Camelot playing at allowing this to happen? Secondly, what's the point in being able to predict the lottery numbers if you're not going to buy a ticket or tell others before its too late for them to buy one and it's of absolutely no use to anyone?

JetSetWilly

Re: Derren Brown attempts to predict Wednesday's lottery numbers

Post by JetSetWilly » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:18 pm

If he pulls it off, it'll be the best thing he's ever done. If not, he's going to look like the biggest tw@ going.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:19 pm

here's hoping it's the latter.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:23 pm

jdanddiet wrote:here's hoping it's the latter.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

James A

Post by James A » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:24 pm

Lets just say he does pull this off and ive got my doubts he will and like he says he tells everyone how he did it, surley thats pretty much going to finish the lottery.

Im not a fan of the guy himself but some of the stuff he pulls off is pretty clever.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:33 pm

I watched his stage show when it was on the telly, and it was pretty amazing.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:32 pm

I applied to shoot him in the head, but stumbled in the 2nd qualifying round, due to not owning a camcorder.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:25 pm

James A wrote:Lets just say he does pull this off and ive got my doubts he will and like he says he tells everyone how he did it, surley thats pretty much going to finish the lottery.

Im not a fan of the guy himself but some of the stuff he pulls off is pretty clever.
You really think he'll pull this off ?!? Yeah hes clever but its all obviously tricks, not like he has some special power. Glad hes finally doing something 'useful' like predicting the lottery numbers, IF he got them right i'll give him a huge apology but come on ! It'll be some excuse once he fails badly. Finish the lottery ? I think you're believing Derren Browns illusions/tricks way too much !

Look at Uri Geller and his special powers, what does he do ? Bend spoons ! Oh great !

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:29 pm

My take on this is that he'll get maybe guess 4-5 numbers correctly.

The implications for him personally if he DID manage to guess all numbers drawn correctly, would be very serious.

Think about how many gangs would want to kidnap him, hold him hostage and force him to guess the winning numbers again in a later draw.

There are nutters out there that would believe him to be their meal ticket.
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:40 pm

Lets say even a few thousand people follow his predictions, no-one would become a millionaire anyway!

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:24 am

psj3809 wrote:
James A wrote:Lets just say he does pull this off and ive got my doubts he will and like he says he tells everyone how he did it, surley thats pretty much going to finish the lottery.

You really think he'll pull this off ?!? Yeah hes clever but its all obviously tricks, not like he has some special power. Glad hes finally doing something 'useful' like predicting the lottery numbers, IF he got them right i'll give him a huge apology but come on ! It'll be some excuse once he fails badly. Finish the lottery ? I think you're believing Derren Browns illusions/tricks way too much !

Look at Uri Geller and his special powers, what does he do ? Bend spoons ! Oh great !
Er, you do realise that Derren Brown doesn't actually claim to have special powers right?

Quite the opposite in fact, he usually goes round debunking psychics' claims and showing your average punter like you and me how they are all just variations on Victorian parlour tricks.

His "gift" is that he's bloody good at applying these tricks of misdirection and illusion and damn good entertainment to boot!
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:33 am

JetSetWilly wrote:he's going to look like the biggest tw@ going.
I thought he had already achieved that
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:55 am

Baloney. Why doesn't he make his predictions before the 7:30pm cut-off point for entering the Lottery? Why? Because he's likely to be watching the balls like a hawk, announcing each a moment before the platform raises with the chosen ball. He's not 'predicting' the numbers, he's just going to be beating the announcer at announcing the chosen ball!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:12 am

the_hawk wrote:Er, you do realise that Derren Brown doesn't actually claim to have special powers right?

Quite the opposite in fact, he usually goes round debunking psychics' claims and showing your average punter like you and me how they are all just variations on Victorian parlour tricks.

His "gift" is that he's bloody good at applying these tricks of misdirection and illusion and damn good entertainment to boot!
Err yeah but there are people out there who totally believe in magic and think some people like Derren Brown etc does have some 'special power'.

Did someone say above that he wont do this before the 7.30pm cut off ? What a con !

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:24 am

Brown once flipped a coin ten times and got ten heads - but it took 9 solid hours of filming to succesfully catch that combination, proving that if you do it enough, you will evantually get a run like that. I suspect this will be something similar.