The Beatles

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Fred83

Re: The Beatles

Post by Fred83 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:51 am

wonder will the original 1987 cds of the beatles albums become an collectors item?...

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:53 am

THE KONG BEAST wrote:Do you think the Beatles ever saw each other's c0cks?
Ask your boyfriend :wink:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:59 am

two beatle related movies i saw in the past and i liked-

The birth of the beatles (1979)

Backbeat(1994)

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:16 am

Fred83 wrote:Backbeat(1994)
Im pretty sure there are some quality knockers in this film?
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Spector

Post by Spector » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:21 am

Coopdevil wrote:
Spector wrote: To take one of the bands you mentioned - are you seriously saying to me that you think the Doors' (a band I'm a huge fan of) music, for example, has more range than The Beatles?
What do you mean by range? Musical style range or age range of fans? (I suspect you might mean the former but you quote suggests the latter).
Musical style range is what I mean.

For example, three years after the Beatles recorded "She Loves You", they did "Tomorrow Never Knows". The Doors never developed musically in as dramatic a way as that, did they?
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:33 am

Spector wrote:
Coopdevil wrote:
Spector wrote: To take one of the bands you mentioned - are you seriously saying to me that you think the Doors' (a band I'm a huge fan of) music, for example, has more range than The Beatles?
What do you mean by range? Musical style range or age range of fans? (I suspect you might mean the former but you quote suggests the latter).
Musical style range is what I mean.
Well, no. Because I haven't said that :) At no point have I addressed the musical range of the other bands I mentioned above.

What I am saying is that bands like The Doors, The Who etc. seem to have a more long-lasting appeal and are probably much more important because they still influence people to form bands today - The Beatles seem to get the polite lip service but not the worship if you want to draw a religious metaphor. I'm fairly certain that Apple Corps know this well hence the sudden and unseemly marketing push.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:36 am

Some Beatles music I like (later stuff)
Some Beatles music I don't like (early stuff)

But much prefer the Doors or Hendrix

Spector

Post by Spector » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:31 pm

Coopdevil wrote:Well, no. Because I haven't said that :) At no point have I addressed the musical range of the other bands I mentioned above.

What I am saying is that bands like The Doors, The Who etc. seem to have a more long-lasting appeal and are probably much more important because they still influence people to form bands today - The Beatles seem to get the polite lip service but not the worship if you want to draw a religious metaphor. I'm fairly certain that Apple Corps know this well hence the sudden and unseemly marketing push.
But what you're saying makes no sense - they continue to sell more records than any other band from the sixties. In the late nineties, I remember hearing that The Beatles' music still made more money than REM's!

And remember- every other major group has had a remastering series except the Beatles, so it's the other bands that are guilty of cashing in, not them. 22 years is quite a long time to wait.

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:21 pm

Spector wrote:For example, three years after the Beatles recorded "She Loves You", they did "Tomorrow Never Knows". The Doors never developed musically in as dramatic a way as that, did they?

Maybe the doors didn't have to develop.
Maybe they got it right first time.

Just because an artist "develops" their sound doesn't mean they get better (U2, Madonna).
Sticking to what you're good at probably increases longevity, Your fan base can easily be turned
off after you decide to develop your rock sound by using a trance producer! :D
Last edited by stvd on Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

THE KONG BEAST

Post by THE KONG BEAST » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:26 pm

Maybe they saw each other's c0cks.

Spector

Post by Spector » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:56 pm

stvd wrote:
Spector wrote:For example, three years after the Beatles recorded "She Loves You", they did "Tomorrow Never Knows". The Doors never developed musically in as dramatic a way as that, did they?

Maybe the doors didn't have to develop.
Maybe they got it right first time.

Just because an artist "develops" their sound doesn't mean they get better (U2, Madonna).
Sticking to what you're good at probably increases longevity, Your fan base can easily be turned
off after you decide to develop your rock sound by using a trance producer! :D
The Doors certainly got it right first time, but by Morrison Hotel (1970), hardly anybody was buying their records. That's why the beatles were the best - they never got passe. By 1966, people were getting tired of the black suits and haircuts, so the big change happened the following year, and they were kings like in 1963 again. No other group pulled that off. The Beach Boys were close, but we all know the story behind 'Smile'.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:58 pm

clarance wrote:The thing about the Beatles that always makes me shudder a bit - they never truly rocked, bit too twee and introspective for my liking.

Always see them in black and white, whereas someone like Hendrix, or even The Who, or dare I say Floyd come out at me in full technicolor.
Never rocked, never rocked? Helter Skelter - Heavy rock, pure and simple.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:02 pm

Coopdevil wrote:

Cobblers.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:32 pm

Cobblers?

Nice, thoughtful answer there thanks for helping the debate.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but frankly I find The Beatles to be something of the Emperor's New Clothes. Everybody says they are great, everybody feels obliged to buy the records because a record collection is perceived to be incomplete without them, but nobody listens to them. I strongly believe that in the future, once their original Baby Boomer fan-base has passed away - I believe that the later rock acts of the 60s will be outliving them. I went to see Velvet Revolver a while back in Wolverhampton (didn't think much of them TBH) but I noticed something that struck me as important - the age range of the audience. Three generations worth from old hippies to 12 year old kids. The first time I had noticed this and demographically probably something that couldn't happen until now. This is a uniquely rock thing and shows that the rock acts continue to strike a chord (no pun intended) with younger people, nearly all of which will probably be inspired to form a very bad band, nearly all of whom will appreciate rock bands of the late 60s. This doesn't seem to the case with Beatles fans. They remain predominantly Baby Boomers of late 50s to early 60s and I hazard, huge fans of The Beatles because they are so tied in with a period they remember fondly.

Just because they continue to sell more than REM doesn't mean they remain relevant - if we said they are because they sell then Leona Lewis is probably one of the most influential and important British acts ever. I strongly suspect that a lot of their CDs remain in CD towers played once if at all - the record collection equivalent of unread coffee table books bought to impress visitors. Which is a shame really but there you go.

THE KONG BEAST

Post by THE KONG BEAST » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:35 pm

gman72 wrote:Cobblers.
C0cks.