The Beatles

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Fred83

Re: The Beatles

Post by Fred83 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:39 pm

their remastering stunt is just another way of making money out of their catalogue...

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:41 am

psj3809 wrote:Love it when songs come out and a lot of people dont realise about sub-bliminal messages eg Ebeneezer Goode, the chorus 'ee's are good, ee's are good' etc !
Like Beetlebum by Blur. Loads of companies used it in their advertising, then Damon Albarn announced it was a song about the effects of drugs.

-----------------

My 2 pence worth is that The Beatles are one of the greatest bands that will ever exist. And I know its sad they cant play together again but in a way thats kind of a good thing (not John Lennon and George Harrison being dead) but the fact that what they did is what they did and theres a line under it that can never be added to.

And those remastered albums that have just come out are fantastic, bought Revolver yesterday and its amazing. Ive got quite a few of their original albums/eps on vinyl that were my dads from the 60s but im going to be buying some of them again now theyve been redone. What you lack in the beauty of the vinyl you gain in the modern updates.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:07 am

I believe that Rock Band Beatles, discussions about getting on iTunes and an impending marketing push on all their albums is a belated admission that the fab four just aren't relevant these days and much of that is down to the way their legacy has been handled.

Their music never turns up on compilation albums, never turns up on film soundtracks, never appears on adverts and never turns up in games (aforementioned Rock Band not withstanding). To a large degree, that's due to what would appear to be great care with their legacy and not tainting it with the advertising dollar but it means that, despite never going out of print, they haven't been that accesible to younger audiences and haven't been put in front of people like the other great bands of the 60s have. Some of this is also down to Michael Jackson owning rights to the Lennon/McCartney songbook and sitting on it but, astonishingly as it may seem, The Beatles have been out of the public eye for decades.

They've also got no great live performance history and stopping playing live when they did meant they missed a Golden Age of live music - no Woodstock, no Isle of Wight, no live performances to be shown on TV when MTV came around. Other bands managed complicated studio arrangements and still played them live. Their live legacy is just heavily mythologized tales of small rock and roll gigs at The Cavern and Hamburg and a few big gigs (Shea stadium etc.) drowned out by screaming 12 year old girls.

Sgt. Pepper has long been put forwards as a landmark in use of the studio as an instrument but these days, with the benefit of time having passed, we all know that actually the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds was the real Sgt. Pepper and did everything that Pepper did first.

Their back catalogue shows a breath-taking breadth of talent but that's a double-edged sword. What band where they? White boy rock and roll of the early 60s? Psychedeila? Social commentary pop? Silly nonsense songs? Songs for children to sing at school? You can answer that all are true but that's partly the problem. To my ears the mix of different musical types jars and ends up sounding like cynical attempts to "do a rock single - do a sing-a-long single". Their later studio recordings seem to suffer from being "one novelty per song" - let's slap a sitar on this one, put two different songs together in a dreadful cut-and-shut job (Day In The Life...) etc. etc.

Young kids who are rock fans today will still be fans of Hendrix, Stones, Who, Doors etc. and will often go away and discover this music by themselves. Bands are still influenced by them. Very few people seem to discover The Beatles on their own. Perhaps this is because the former are Rock and the latter Pop and it appears that Pop just doesn't age as well as Rock. I find people who are huge Beatles fans (like an Aunt of mine) are fans because they were of an age when the Beatles first made it big - too young to have been around when rock and roll broke in the 50s but not too old to be cyncial about the marketing push aimed at teenyboppers. Younger fans tend to be children of these baby boomers who had the music played to them in youth.

Everybody says "Beatles - brilliant, genius, vitally important" but this never seems to equate into a massive fan base. Apart from a narrow age range of Baby Boomers they are more appreciated and respected than actually listened to and influential.

EDIT - typos from typing while waiting on hold on the phone!
Last edited by Coopdevil on Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:16 am

Coopdevil wrote:Their music never turns up on compilation albums, never turns up on film soundtracks, never appears on adverts and never turns up in games (aforementioned Rock Band not withstanding).
Interesting post, i cant stand hearing my favourite bands music used for adverts over and over, just feels like selling out. I found the Beatles documentary on ITV agessss ago fascinating to watch, do enjoy watching those.

Again i think its good the songs arent used in films over and over. My favourite band Oasis (sniff sniff) rarely use their songs for films, they do have two tunes for TV shows (Half the world away - a b side for Royle Family) and another b side, sung by Paul Weller for Lead Balloon. Only 3 times they've had tunes in films and twice they've been b sides.

But i'm glad the Beatles tunes arent in every film or advert etc, they dont need the money so i'm glad they dont do that.

Again i can totally appreicate what the Beatles did for music, must have been revolutionary back then but because of my age i 'appreciate' them rather than really love them as i just wasnt around then.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:32 am

They where the first band to do a lot of things as well hence their legacy.Does anyone remember pete best.He rightfully earned his share of fame and royalitys when the anthology boxsets came out in the 90s
Last edited by Fred83 on Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

THE KONG BEAST

Post by THE KONG BEAST » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:30 am

Do you think the Beatles ever saw each other's c0cks?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:32 am

THE KONG BEAST wrote:Do you think the Beatles ever saw each other's c0cks?
God sake not this nutter. Cant we get him banned ?

Someone picked on at school ? Someone needs attention and has to write something 'crazy' to be controversial ?

Come on fella, grow up

THE KONG BEAST

Post by THE KONG BEAST » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:34 am

Just answer the question, please.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:35 am

THE KONG BEAST wrote:Just answer the question, please.
Despite the utter crap you write for attention, its nothing like this filth you wrote before !...

"What is wrong with musical theater?"

Spector

Post by Spector » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:43 am

Coopdevil wrote:
Everybody says "Beatles - brilliant, genius, vitally important" but this never seems to equate into a massive fan base. Apart from a narrow age range of Baby Boomers they are more appreciated and respected than actually listened to and influential.
But obviously that's not true since they continue to sell more records than any other band from that era.

To take one of the bands you mentioned - are you seriously saying to me that you think the Doors' (a band I'm a huge fan of) music, for example, has more range than The Beatles?
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:29 am

I'm as big a non-Beatles fan as you could meet!
I read something that stated they were "easily the most overrated band of all time" and "their songs are barely one level up from ice-cream van melodies"

I agree!

An awfull lot of people my age (and even younger) seem to be "into them".
It's probably because Noel Galacher likes them though.
I doubt many of them can be found, at home, listening to Yellow Submarine, Help! or Love Me Do.
Or indeed own a single album.

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:30 am

Spector wrote: To take one of the bands you mentioned - are you seriously saying to me that you think the Doors' (a band I'm a huge fan of) music, for example, has more range than The Beatles?
What do you mean by range? Musical style range or age range of fans? (I suspect you might mean the former but you quote suggests the latter).

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:33 am

Musical range counts for nothing if both ends of said 'range' are diabolical.

THE KONG BEAST

Post by THE KONG BEAST » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:57 am

psj3809 wrote:
THE KONG BEAST wrote:Just answer the question, please.
Despite the utter crap you write for attention, its nothing like this filth you wrote before !...

"What is wrong with musical theater?"
You homosexualist!

I am genuinely interested in the c0ck thing. Somebody must know.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:25 am

THE KONG BEAST wrote:I am genuinely interested in the c0ck thing. Somebody must know.
Stop being a complete tw@t, the joke isnt even funny. "I know, i'll log onto a forum from the safety of my home and be anonymous and ask about the Beatles c0cks, that'll be funny and controversial....."

Someone needs to get a girlfriend or a life.