The Beatles

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RetroRik

The Beatles

Post by RetroRik » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:25 pm

I've not really thought much about them...

But...

Last night i watched The Beatles first tour of the U.S which was just mad.!

Then i watched 'HELP!' which for a 1965 film was ahead of it's time. Some of the visual jokes were like them from the Airplane movies 20 years later.

Tonight im watching how the Beatles helped to crush the USSR... Fasinating stuff. Radio Luxemburg had a big role in that...

Any Beatles fans out there.?

RIK
Last edited by RetroRik on Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fred83

Re: The Beatles

Post by Fred83 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:31 pm

Yes i am.Fascinated with the god life status they have.Just think people shouldn't bother looking for blames in their break up.Way i see it they all where going in different directions in their artistic views so they just fell out with each other..There where 2 beatles.The boyband group,then after their manager died they became more mature type band,using drugs to create some of their imaginative/greatest work.Their last album let it be,i think it was perfect.I really liked the ocrchestra/choir background in the tracks on that album
Last edited by Fred83 on Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

SpiffierRabbit

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:41 pm

Sorry guys, but I couldn't give a tinker's toss about the 'great' Beatles. Only like Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band & Straawberry Fields, at a push!

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:45 pm

SpiffierRabbit wrote:Sorry guys, but I couldn't give a tinker's toss about the 'great' Beatles. Only like Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band & Straawberry Fields, at a push!
Fare enough... I wasn't until i watched the stuff last night. Still not really but i can't think of a band now that has an effect on the current world as they did back in the 60's.....

RIK

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:48 pm

Kinda clever marketing too.
Last edited by Fred83 on Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

clarance

Post by clarance » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:54 pm

The thing about the Beatles that always makes me shudder a bit - they never truly rocked, bit too twee and introspective for my liking.

Always see them in black and white, whereas someone like Hendrix, or even The Who, or dare I say Floyd come out at me in full technicolor.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:57 pm

clarance wrote:The thing about the Beatles that always makes me shudder a bit - they never truly rocked, bit too twee and introspective for my liking.

Always see them in black and white, whereas someone like Hendrix, or even The Who, or dare I say Floyd come out at me in full technicolor.
'HELP' was in technibuggercolor and very good quality. Must have been remastered. :)

RIK

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:04 pm

dont want cause offence with die hards here but,what was the point of lennons bed in?,he was obviously an hippie off his head at the time like the rest of the world was back in 1969

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:39 am

I have found I appreciate them more as I get older.

Looking forward to Rock Band Beatles this week.

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:34 am

Despite being an old dinosaur musically-speaking who only listens to guitar-based rock from Robert Johnson onwards and loses interest much after Grunge, there are two bands I just never took to that I always feel I should - The Beatles and Pink Floyd.

I appreciate The Beatles' songs but not their music if that paradox makes any sense - whenever I hear them I think "yes, great songwriters" but they never appeal to me on a visceral level. When I was growing up my Dad only listened to The Stones and The Who and didn't own a single Beatles record (I suspect he may have regarded the Fab Four as being for teeny-boppers and/or girls) so I think this might have been a big influence on me. The Beatles never seemed to have much of a rock soul/attitude to them, just excellent songwriters but always a bit flat. I guess that if they were of this generation Lennon and McCartney would be anonymous Swedes living off the royalties of writing catchy pop songs in English for just about every recording artiste that doesn't write their own songs.

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:32 am

I cant stand the Beatles, The first mass produced pop band, the Spice Girls of their day if you will. Media whored to everywhere, terribly over exposed and i dont like their songs.

Ive given them a chance watched all the anthology gubbins when free as a bird came out, but cant see the appeal, the songs dont grab me and they just sound like a whiny sopping wet git is singing them

Its all horses for courses, of course :) in that people will like them much in the way the rever Elvis and i cant stand him either... its not that its Old music its just that the hype and associated crap around them takes away form the music and makes them an even less glamous proposition
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:39 am

Overrated in my opinion. I also hate that many people feel you are somehow obliged to worship them and will sit there aghast when you say you don't really like their stuff.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:20 am

verrated in my opinion. I also hate that many people feel you are somehow obliged to worship them and will sit there aghast when you say you don't really like their stuff.
Good point, as my old granddad used to say there were other bands doing the same kind off stuff at the same time, however the Beatles got lucky. Rock band Beatles just seams like a massive cash in to me.
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:28 am

Sure, over-rated, over-exposed, not that different to anyone else - INITIALLY.

After all that Meet the Beatles stuff you got the likes of the White Album and... and... Sorry, I just feel "obliged" to defend them, because Yellow Submarine is one of my all-time favourite films and all that.

Suppose every decade has its own Beatles - that is, its own band that is massively hyped and everyone feels obliged to like.
Led Zeppelin, The Jam, Oasis, Coldplay, Arctic Monkeys and so on. You just can't help but sing along, because they're bloody EVERYWHERE.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Spector

Post by Spector » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:22 am

Nah - after forty years, everyone is more or less where they ought to be, and The Beatles are at the top. The Rolling Stones couldn't write ballads, the Who were too impersonal, and the other groups just couldn't write consistently as well. The Beatles deserve their position, as does everyone else from that time.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)