Smoking

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

famicom69

Re: Smoking

Post by famicom69 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:42 pm

C=Style wrote: I'll leave all you anti-smokers with a clip from the legendary Bill Hicks! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9O1Cv7w ... re=related
I need me some Bill Hicks, been putting it off for far too long!

clarance

Post by clarance » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:25 pm

Oh god, Bill Hicks, what a wonderfully intelligent comedy genius - fkin amazing. There's my preacher man right there.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:16 pm

I used to smoke 20 a day (about 7 years ago)

Now I'm a secret smoker. When I'm out, on business with work, I have a cigarette and a cup of coffee. About 2 cigs a week it works out at. It's taught me self control. :) And christ, sometimes, it's a hard lesson.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:45 am

I used to smoke loads. On all dayers I used to get through 40 which now I look back on is stupid and a total waste of money.

I gave up because I was just bored of it. Non of my friends smoked anymore and neither did my girlfriend so I quit.

I used to smoke the "other stuff" on occasion when I was younger but it just made me really lethargic and giggly so I didnt bother that much.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:42 am

Bizarrely i have university to thank for me smoking. Got both me parents to quit before i went to uni and was staunchly anti smoking. However got to uni and when hammered people put ciggy in me hand i wouldnt say no and it started from there. Me missus was also a smoker when i met her and it went from there.

I hate the smell, the taste and the general cackyness it brings however cant quit at the moment albeit am trying and have found that nicotine gum works but only for a short while as it will give you the hit of a ciggy but its not the same which is odd.

Doesnt help that always have some disaster or another so stress levels go through the roof and cigs become a major food source d'oh

Iam still waiting for my response from Peter Hain re the Smoking Ban from Question Time 3 years ago.. Smoking has decimated local pubs.. its not the only factor 3 pounds plus a pint is another, but alot of pubs are like mausoleums these days and are really struggling. Those of my friends who smoke, hardly go out these days its cheaper to get wine /beer /spirits in and therefore there is naff all point in going out.

Its sad to see but pubs have become glorified cafes and that there is nowt that is being done about it...
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:08 am

Ralph Milne's Left Foot wrote:Smoking has decimated local pubs.. its not the only factor 3 pounds plus a pint is another, but alot of pubs are like mausoleums these days and are really struggling.
I have a staunch belief that in years to come when government papers get released into the public domain, it will transpire that the smoking ban was designed to break the culture of pub drinking all in the interest of New Labour's belief that the little people don't know what's good for them and have to be told by the Islington mafia how to improve their lot. No sooner did they get the smoking ban in then they started the propaganda machine onto alcohol (ban happy hours! the middle classes don't realise how much red wine they drink! etc. etc.).

I believe that when the brewing industry points out how much Labour have damaged them, they are wasting their breath as this was the plan all along.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:59 am

I dont really think the smoking ban can be blamed for killing off the pub trade. Pubs are dying a natural death and you cant blame not being able to smoke inside/credit crunch for that.

Its like when were in town, me and the mrs always go for lunch at Walkabout and I have a passion for Victoria Bitter. Its grand but its £3.05 a bottle. And theyre not much bigger than stubbys. Where as in Morrisions at the moment its £5 for 6 bottles. Shops are undercutting pubs but then again its always been cheaper to buy drink from shops as opposed to pubs so they cant blame that.

Plus, pubs are boring now. We went out after Jimmy Carr last year and it was the first time id been drinking in the city centre for ages and it had altered so much. Most of the places were half empty and the atmosphere was crap.

If pubs want to survive now they have to become more food based.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

famicom69

Post by famicom69 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:34 am

Hit the nail on the head STranger81. Supermarket offers/Recession definitely hit pubs harder, the smoking ban was just the start of it.

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:52 am

I've never felt the need to try smoking. Apart from the obvious stupidity of paying for something that damages your health, I've just always hated the smell. I used to especially hate getting back from a pub or club and having all your clothes and your hair stinking of it. I'm glad the smoking ban came in, and it always amuses me to see a group of smokers outside a pub freezing their asses off in the middle of winter.
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:32 pm

I love cigs, me. I like the smell, I like the taste, I like the feel. Its all good. Jacked in a few years ago, but still have the odd sneaky one when I'm on my own, which is only once every few months. Cig and a cuppa. Lovely. My little treat to myself if I'm away on business or left home alone.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:28 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:I love cigs, me. I like the smell, I like the taste, I like the feel. Its all good. Jacked in a few years ago, but still have the odd sneaky one when I'm on my own, which is only once every few months. Cig and a cuppa. Lovely. My little treat to myself if I'm away on business or left home alone.
like next weekend, eh? :wink:

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:50 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:I love cigs, me. I like the smell, I like the taste, I like the feel. Its all good. Jacked in a few years ago, but still have the odd sneaky one when I'm on my own, which is only once every few months. Cig and a cuppa. Lovely. My little treat to myself if I'm away on business or left home alone.
It's the way forward! Tea and smoke. Smoking as you do won't even effect your health, everything in moderation is ok. :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:52 pm

jdanddiet wrote:like next weekend, eh? :wink:
Do you know something I don't? Can't go to RR as its my niece's wedding and the selfish thing refuses to rearrange or cancel that date for me.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:45 pm

Some of EvilArmourKings smoking facts :

EvilArmourKing has been smoking since 16.

He used to smoke 20 Marlboro Reds a day (about 8 years ago), but at some point, when he was trying to cut down, he went down to 20 Marlboro Lights, and he now smokes about 10 a day.

If he ran out of cigarettes and someone offered him a Lambert & Butler - he would happily go without.

He smoked weed when he lived in the US, but due to his paranoia trips, gave up for the safety of everyone else.

He very occassionally smokes fat cuban cigars, as he receives them from friends at least once a year.

He can't stand Golden Virginia roll ups, nor can he roll to save his life. The "taste" is simply disgusting.

EvilArmourKing NEVER smokes indoors. Be at at his friends or families house. He much prefers somewhere outside, albeit, somewhere that is sheltered if need be.

He also NEVER smokes in his own car.

He finds cigarettes to be ideal for some of the following situations :

When stressed out about something.
After sex.
With a nice cup of coffee (they seem to go down better with coffee than with a cup of tea)

He rarely ever smokes in the morning.
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:57 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
jdanddiet wrote:like next weekend, eh? :wink:
Do you know something I don't? Can't go to RR as its my niece's wedding and the selfish thing refuses to rearrange or cancel that date for me.
That is most inconsiderate of her. :lol: