I'm Selling the lot.....

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

nick_h

I'm Selling the lot.....

Post by nick_h » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:18 pm

Advice please.

I've decided to start selling my collection shortly. It's not huge but has been cherished.

I dont want to go down the ebay route as they are robbing #######. Ideally I'll sell an item or two a week. I have around 2 years to sell the lot to raise cash for a special occasion.

What I would like to do is post on the boards and have input on how much something is worth. I'll then sell at that price.

Oh the other thing of course is where to sell !! ?

I'll start off with item number 1:

Atari Jaguar brand new in box with all Atari seals intact complete with 5 sealed games which are Bubsy, Wolfenstein 3D, Dragon the Bruce Lee story, Iron Soldier and Tempest 2000.

Cheers !

Sureshot

Re: I'm Selling the lot.....

Post by Sureshot » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:34 pm

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:58 pm

nick_h wrote:Atari Jaguar brand new in box with all Atari seals intact complete with 5 sealed games which are Bubsy, Wolfenstein 3D, Dragon the Bruce Lee story, Iron Soldier and Tempest 2000.
Do you want to know how much it will sell for, or what it's actually worth? :wink:

I'd say £100+ and 5 pence, respectively... :lol:
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:38 pm

try gumtree.com quite surprising the number of great retro stuff that gets advertised. and its free to advertise too.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:55 am

Just use ebay for a search on completed listings, you can normally see quite a few finished bids and what the price was, good to judge how much your stuff is so you wont go in too low but on the other hand you wont go in too high and be greedy and annoy some potential bidders.

I always use the search for completed listings, very useful

nick_h

Post by nick_h » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:08 pm

Thanks all. The search for completed listings is a gem ! I didnt know you could do that!

StarshipUK

Post by StarshipUK » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:19 pm

There is also a rough price guide for systems in the back of the mag, but some of the prices seem a fair bit out - perhaps not being updated to often. There is no way the Odyssey is worth just £10! They value the Jaguar at £20+, but I guess that is used or unboxed without games.

Also be careful with Gumtree. I tried to sell some PC's on there a while back and just got contacted by foreigners who either did not show up, or wanted to pay peanuts if they did show up to see the PC... They were shown the door and I sold the PC's to other people who paid the asking price.
I'm gonna burn your house down. With a lemon.

Zetr0

Post by Zetr0 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:39 pm

@nick_h

an alternative to gamerbay is www.amibay.com

Amibay is NOT an auction site, its like the Free Adds, you state a price (wich you can state negotiable).

Pricing an item is a right pain in the arse, and eBay is not the best source IMHO for pricing;-

some people put out-landish prices on items just to see if a sucker is out there to pay for it.
some use a "high-price and make an offer" to provoke a higher offer from some one
bidding wars, there really are stupid people out there that just wont let go!
remember to deduct upto %15 off the final valuie due to auction fees and paypal

price guiding is, to be honest, not the best way to discover the value of an item, the truth is in effect quite simple
(sorry for wordy, been watchin matrix reloaded!... ergo.... viva vie)

An item is ONLY WORTH what you are willing to part with it and what some one else is willing to PAY for it... this might seem blindingly obvious but for some out there they just dont get it.

If my friend sells his Amiga 500 setup for £150, and I have the same setup, it doesn't mean that mine is worth £150 it just means that his sale refelcts what he was willing to sell for and another was willing to buy for!

Another instance would be, if I sell a £400 TV for £200, does that make all TV's of that make £200 ? of course not. so why should it be any differenet if I sold my £400 TV for £600?

its difficult to break that eBay (spoofed auction) mentality and to see the true cost of an item comes down to YOU, what you are willing to sell it for, what its value has for you.

Over an year and a half now I setup www.amibay.com with some good friends from the retro-scene with a simple job, provide a safe place for people to trade, thats free, help maximise advertising and friendly hence the name AmiBay (Friend Bay) and since the old skool sceners were into Amiga too it kinda stuck :D

so if you have a price in mind for your item(s) then join up to amibay its free, and will help you sell, at the time of tapping there are over 1,100 members all into retro gaming and hardware :)

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:14 am

Hiya mate

I suggest you post on this forum: http://www.sealedgameheaven.com/forum/index.php

They're experts on sealed games, they'll give you an accurate price and maybe even make an offer ;)

nick_h

Post by nick_h » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:11 pm

Great advice. Many thanks all for the input. Zetr0. I'll certaintly be signing up.

Cheers !