Raphael
38%
Michaelangelo
19%

Total votes: 26

David

Re: Favourite Turtle?

Post by David » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:07 am

mohicankid wrote:i always thought it funny that they changed ninja to hearo for the uk (and probably other markets) becouse ninja was seen to be too violent!!.....they fought with deadly weapons for christ sake!!!!!!!!
Another sad victim of the fact that most people are morons

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:07 am

oops i forgot......donnatello for the win! :D
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:16 pm

the_hawk wrote: I'm not really into the TMNT but somehow I can remember all the words to Partners in Kryme's Turtle Power & the cartoon theme tune. Which leads me to a question that's always bugged me - who was their leader? I remember the cartoon theme tune said "Leonardo leads - Donatello does machines" but Partners in Kryme insisted "Raphael, he's the leader of the group transformed from the norm by the nuclear gloop"

Maybe someone more familiar with turtles canon can help me out.

Easy answer there, Partners In Kryme were just unfamiliar with what they were singing about. The movie seems to be focussed on Raphael, so they just put it together that way, or something.

Shockingly enough, I never knew it was Uncle Phil who did Shredder! Always just assumed it was Jim Cummings, the voice of everyone ever.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:06 pm

A lot of the first film was based on parts of the early comics; specifically the return of Shredder (as he'd been killed in issue #1 of the comic) and the "Return to New York" storyline. Except the script writers changed it from being Leonardo who got beaten to pulp into Raphael instead for some reason. In the comics it's arguable that Raph is the best fighter of the four, but Leo is always the leader and pulls them together...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:20 pm

Mayhem wrote:A lot of the first film was based on parts of the early comics; specifically the return of Shredder (as he'd been killed in issue #1 of the comic) and the "Return to New York" storyline. Except the script writers changed it from being Leonardo who got beaten to pulp into Raphael instead for some reason. In the comics it's arguable that Raph is the best fighter of the four, but Leo is always the leader and pulls them together...
In one of the comics I had Shredder came back.. Well actually there where several Shredders and most of them where like all deformed, the earlier one's where failed attempts to bring him back or something..
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:22 pm

Did anyone ever read that one where Donatello died? He fell out of a plane or something, and his shell was smashed, paralyzing him. He was then eaten by rats, but I think he fused himself with a robot or something in order to come back to life. It was a long time ago, a bit foggy at the moment.
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:34 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Did anyone ever read that one where Donatello died? He fell out of a plane or something, and his shell was smashed, paralyzing him. He was then eaten by rats, but I think he fused himself with a robot or something in order to come back to life. It was a long time ago, a bit foggy at the moment.
He came back as a Cyborg, they put his brain inside a robot I believe and Raphael lost a eye somehow

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:04 pm

Shinobi wrote:
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Did anyone ever read that one where Donatello died? He fell out of a plane or something, and his shell was smashed, paralyzing him. He was then eaten by rats, but I think he fused himself with a robot or something in order to come back to life. It was a long time ago, a bit foggy at the moment.
He came back as a Cyborg, they put his brain inside a robot I believe and Raphael lost a eye somehow
Lost an eye? Makes him all the more "badass"!
Right, I also remember a few of the TMNT Adventures comics, and Raphael was completely black, and they travelled around with a giant cow's head. What was that all about then? These were the days when I would beg for anything to do with Turtles, so I paid no heed to storylines or whatever, and oops.

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:17 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
Space_turnip wrote:How can Michaelangelo only have 2 votes? A travesty. He had all the best lines!
Well, he WAS a bit annoying. Wasn't he?
Yeah, looking back he was, but EVERY cartoon/TV series had a character like that in the early 90's, and they were always my favourites. The other 3 were just a bit too serious for me.

And truth be told, I was never the biggest turtles fan anyway. I don't think i've ever actually watched the films either.

SpeedBreaker

Post by SpeedBreaker » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:13 am

Don for me as well. :D He was the 1st TMNT action figure I got back when the old cartoon was all the rage. His extra reach in the arcade game was crucial.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:46 am

Shinobi wrote:In one of the comics I had Shredder came back.. Well actually there where several Shredders and most of them where like all deformed, the earlier one's where failed attempts to bring him back or something..
Yeah, that's part of the "Return to New York" storyline I mentioned. Issues #19-21 of the original first series. Hey, I should know, I've got every single b/w comic here in my collection, all first printings ;)
This was part of volume #3 published by Image after various troubles befell Mirage Publishing. It is now considered non-canon by Peter Laird and he has ignored it entirely, considering that volume #2 ran into the timeline of where volume #4 is currently going. Curiously enough the guy I was sitting next to on the plane to San Diego worked on some of those Image comics so I had a good chat with him about how that came about and various "issues" that plagued the entire series before it was cancelled.

And if anyone still doubts my TMNT fandom, then you can check out the Flickr set I have of various things I own ;)

This one is a little special, from just recent though. First time Kevin and Peter had worked together on something TMNT related in over 15 years, and there were only 100 made...

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:13 am

Mayhem wrote:
Shinobi wrote:In one of the comics I had Shredder came back.. Well actually there where several Shredders and most of them where like all deformed, the earlier one's where failed attempts to bring him back or something..
Yeah, that's part of the "Return to New York" storyline I mentioned. Issues #19-21 of the original first series. Hey, I should know, I've got every single b/w comic here in my collection, all first printings ;)

Just curious how did Shredder come back as I remember one issue they threw Shredder of a building, as he was going to denate himself and the Turtles with a Grenade, the next issue was Baxter Stockman but he was a black guy and then they killed him as well..

I missing a fair few issues then I had the one with lots of Krangs and the Turtles and Splinter where taken to anothor planet and forced to fight against these Rhino Aliens in an Arena.. It appeared that the Krang lookalikes killed Splinter, with the Turtles killing everyone on the planet as revenge for Splinter..

I then had a much later issue with seemed to follow the film but the Foot Clan seriously injured Leonardo, and Shredder was waiting in Aprils Basement somehow back alive..

A few issue's later there was several mutant Shredders one had Lobster Claws etc, then later a female Shredder called Khari..

I imagine somebody put Shredder's mask on to pretend to be him?

The only issue I have left is with a Giant Leech and some old Grimmer called 'The Old Man of the river'

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:10 am

Okay, from the top here...

1) Foot magi found the remains of Shredder from issue #1 (indeed blown apart by his own thermal grenade) and fed his parts to these special worms who inherited his DNA. These then formed together into a pseudo worm/golem/Shredder hybrid creature. You eventually see his true new form when Leo faces him down in issue #21. This is the Shredder that in April's shop (when Casey comes to help) and shows himself to Leonardo when said Turtle gets stuffed a treat in the Leonardo one shot published (an excellent one shot I might add). The Foot's earlier efforts to perfect the procedure resulted in the strange mutant Shredder like creatures you mentioned who confront the Turtles when they return to NY.

2) Baxter Stockman was not killed in issue #2, merely rendered unconscious. He later turns up to attack the Turtles having transferred his brain into a robotic shell. I think that was in volume #2.

3) The "Triceraton" arc covered the next few issues following the Turtles' investigation into the TCRI building and being accidentally teleported to a new planet. The robot Honeycutt had developed a transmat device and was being hunted by two factions: the humans and the Triceratons. The latter captured him, the Turtles went to assist, were also captured, taken to base and forced to fight in a gladiator contest (issue #6 I think). The Utroms (who the cartoon makers used for the evil Krang, even though the Utroms are generally good in the comics) brought them back to Earth eventually, although there was a straggler or two...

4) After that comes the return of the Shredder (see above). Once he died, then in the "City at War" arc the leader of the Japanese Foot, called Kari, comes to NY to take control. But some of the old Shredder's Elite forces remain so there's a three way battle for supremacy raging in the city. She dressed up as the Shredder to lure them into a trap, maybe that's what you are thinking of? That about rounds out the canon sequence of events for volume #1 of the comic.

David

Post by David » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:12 am

Was there an episode of the cartoon where they met some sort of talking mutant frogs in Florida?

Or did I eat too many e-colours as a kid?

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:43 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote: Easy answer there, Partners In Kryme were just unfamiliar with what they were singing about. The movie seems to be focussed on Raphael, so they just put it together that way, or something.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Been bugging me for a while that, the internet searches I tried for turtles' head made me feel nauseous!
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue