Classic old skool dance/90s tracks

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

EvilArmourKing

Re: Classic old skool dance/90s tracks

Post by EvilArmourKing » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:38 pm

Obviously I live on a different planet to you guys, seeing as NO-ONE seems to have mentioned :

S'Express - Theme from S'Express

Bomb The Bass - Beat Dis

Bomb The Bass - Don't Make Me Wait

Bomb The Bass - Megablast

The KLF - 3AM Eternal

Coldcut - Doctorin The House

Good call to whoever said Orbital - Chime, excellent choon, with one of the coolest videos ever made.

And I can't stand JX - Son of a Gun
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:33 pm

EvilArmourKing wrote:S'Express - Theme from S'Express
Bomb The Bass - Beat Dis
The KLF - 3AM Eternal
That's a good list there :)
EvilArmourKing wrote:And I can't stand JX - Son of a Gun
Why not?

Loftgroover

Post by Loftgroover » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:42 pm

lol @ anyone being a jlx fan :P

90% of the tracks brought up in this thread are pretty terrible imo...just 90s equivalent of waste like cascada and that donk on it lot...

good call on orbital tho...2 of the best gigs ive ever been too were theirs.

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:14 pm

woody.cool wrote:
EvilArmourKing wrote:S'Express - Theme from S'Express
Bomb The Bass - Beat Dis
The KLF - 3AM Eternal
That's a good list there :)
EvilArmourKing wrote:And I can't stand JX - Son of a Gun
Why not?
Listen to the lyrics!!! It's horrendously embarrassing. I mean, WTF are they talking about?

Reminds me of the Chris Rock joke (defending rap music)
"some rap can be defended easily, like for instance - Move censored, Get Out The Way - clearly, a censored is in his way, and he needs her to move"

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:23 pm

Loftgroover wrote:lol @ anyone being a jlx fan :P

90% of the tracks brought up in this thread are pretty terrible imo...just 90s equivalent of waste like cascada and that donk on it lot...

good call on orbital tho...2 of the best gigs ive ever been too were theirs.
I'm with loftgroover on this one.

I mean on the first page we have people citing Bobby Brown (2 Can Play That Game) and Mr.Vain by Culture Beat. :shock: WHAT??????

And based on your comment STVD, I count my lucky stars I was not ever in attendance when you were DJing :lol:

filtermadg had the best selection imho (other than loftgroovers)

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:13 am

EvilArmourKing wrote:And based on your comment STVD, I count my lucky stars I was not ever in attendance when you were DJing :lol:

I'm offended. :wink:

What can I say, with regards to filtermad's list, I have most of them too and actually prefer those records
but you had to give the crowds (ladies!!) what they wanted :lol:

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:38 am

EvilArmourKing wrote:I'm with loftgroover on this one.

I mean on the first page we have people citing Bobby Brown (2 Can Play That Game) and Mr.Vain by Culture Beat. :shock: WHAT??????

And based on your comment STVD, I count my lucky stars I was not ever in attendance when you were DJing :lol:

Granted those songs arent 'cool' or anything but i think sometimes talking about 'classic' dance tracks people mean just famous ones which when they hear they're instantly transported back to a smokey nightclub in 1991. I was never a fan of Bobby Brown but if i hear that song i'm there on a barstool near the side of the dancefloor watching my mates make a fall of themselves or waiting for a decent song to come on or simply admiring the view of the girls dancing !

Theres quite a few dance songs like that, i cant stand Ebenezer Goode or Theres No Limit but i do like the song from a memory point of view and would happily watch it on VH1 etc to get those memories back from hearing those songs. Jump Around by House of Pain does the same, tons of memories the second i hear the beginning of that tune.

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:01 am

psj3809 wrote:
EvilArmourKing wrote:I'm with loftgroover on this one.

Granted those songs arent 'cool' or anything but i think sometimes talking about 'classic' dance tracks people mean just famous ones which when they hear they're instantly transported back to a smokey nightclub in 1991. I was never a fan of Bobby Brown but if i hear that song i'm there on a barstool near the side of the dancefloor watching my mates make a fall of themselves or waiting for a decent song to come on or simply admiring the view of the girls dancing !

Theres quite a few dance songs like that, i cant stand Ebenezer Goode or Theres No Limit but i do like the song from a memory point of view and would happily watch it on VH1 etc to get those memories back from hearing those songs. Jump Around by House of Pain does the same, tons of memories the second i hear the beginning of that tune.

That's what I thought this thread was about - tracks that take you back. Almost all of these in the thread are mainstream tunes that did very well in the charts AND clubs - it doesn't make them all timeless classics or well thought out musically does it? There's been some proper CHEESE mentioned so far, but that's what got folks on the dancefloor - so don't feel bad STVD, you sound like you were doing a bang-on job!

Interesting comments , Loftgroover. I posted a link to Donk on here a few weeks back, that song is so hilarious, I can;t beleive that they are taking themselves totally seriously. Or are they. Oh god, hope not.

And as an aside - I take it you're either REALLY 'THE' 'LOFTGROOVER', or a massive fan - for the uninitiated, here's a link. You wanna skip to about 2 mins in before it.....'warms up'...not so sure I can take your comments seriously about what represents good music anymore..... ;)

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:02 am

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:14 am

Commander Jameson wrote:ah poopoo forgot the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biqN_yOH ... PL&index=6
Hell yeah! Now we're talking .... also noticed MC Ribbs is on that one, probably one of the best Hardcore/Techno MCs EVER!!!

"You can make some noise if you want to!"

"Are you ready for the HAAAARRRRDDDDCCCCOOOORRRREEEE?"

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:09 am

lol

No, it's awful. At the risk of sounding old, THAT is just noise, sped up too fast to appreciate. And don't even get me started on MC's. Many a decent set ruined by 'whistle posse blow', 'make some noise' , 'oi oi!' and 'Hands in the air...!'
They need to stick to what they're good at. Telling people on travelling fairs that, the louder they scream...the faster the ride goes.

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:51 am

Technohead I Wanna Be A Hippy
me and my mates did a gabba rmx of this on his atari st...wish i could track down the dat of it...was really good if I remember correctly, tho maybe it only sounded good to brains full of chems :lol:[/quote]
I remember the smurfs - I've got a little puppy :)

Loftgroover

Post by Loftgroover » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:17 pm

And as an aside - I take it you're either REALLY 'THE' 'LOFTGROOVER', or a massive fan - for the uninitiated, here's a link. You wanna skip to about 2 mins in before it.....'warms up'...not so sure I can take your comments seriously about what represents good music anymore..... :wink:
hehe I know its pretty noisy, I blame Mickey Finn for ruining jungle in 95 and me having to take refuge in the tecknodrome...my speedcore days are well and truly over tho (strangely the day I gave up pills it lost its appeal, and no am not 'the' Loftgroover. i just picked Loftgroover cuz that was my character on Phantasy star Online and I use it on NTSC-UK too!

Was always a fan after the big daily star uproar about speedcore saying its the 'new white supremacy soundtrack...nazi music' and then gettin quotes from Loft and HMS saying yeah it is, we hate the blacks, burn em etc. Which then got printed. Only problem is they are (or were in HMS case rip)...both black!! :D Learning at an early age the tabloids were awful!!

i said what I said cuz I thought the idea of the thread was 'classic' tracks not 'tracks i remember'.
I like Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice but if you try and tell me thats a classic I would have to stab you :wink:

yeah Woody, Ribbz is a legend....used to go Club North quite a lot and we had him down to our night a few times. Remember him one NYE at a Flashback, he had tonnes of people wanting shout outs so he got on the mic saying 'no shout out without a brandy and coke'....got him so caned he couldn't speak to do the shouts in the end :D

edit - laughed at that link...gettin the crowd to thank him for turning up tonight. he was one unreliable mofo

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:58 am

pete heller-big love *classic
Queen-you dont fool me

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:18 am

Let's had some Happy Hardcore, Jungle and Old Skool to this thread:
  • Bang! - Shooting Star
  • Bang! - Cloudy Days
  • Force & Styles - Pretty Green Eyes
  • Force & Styles - Heart Of Gold
  • Ramos, Supreme and the Sunset Regime - Forever Autumn
  • Ramos, Supreme and the Sunset Regime - Gotta Believe
  • Ramos, Supreme and the Sunset Regime - The Terminator ('97 Remix)
  • Edge 1 - Compended
  • Sonz of a Loop Da Loop era - Far Out
  • The House Crew - Euphoria
  • Orca - 4AM (I know this has been mentioned before)
  • Origin Unknown - Valley Of The Shadows
  • Shy FX - Funkingemup
  • JO - R-Type
  • Johnny L - Piper
Now that's proper classic dance music :wink: