If You Won The Lottery.....

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RetroKingSimon

If You Won The Lottery.....

Post by RetroKingSimon » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:55 pm

.... would you carry on working?

It amazes me when people say that they would. :shock: And apparently there's quite a few (including my wife!). I hate work. :x Okay, I accepted long ago that I'm pretty lazy, but in spite of that, it's not physically exerting myself that I'm opposed to. I cycle at least 100 miles a week because that's something I actually enjoy, so it can't be that. It's spending a majority of my waking day (or night in my case) doing something I don't enjoy that I hate. I have many hobbies and interests, and I know I'll never have the time to fully explore all of them, and that makes me sad. Surely life isn't supposed to be like this? I spend most of my work time daydreaming about things I want to do, things I intend to do, making notes on my phone so I don't forget to do them, but I never seem to get time. Anyone else feel like this?

I think at best, if I won the lottery I'd start my own business or spend a good few years studying so I could work part-time in a field I would actually enjoy spending my time with. So, what about you? Would you carry on working if you won the lottery (or somehow came into a large sum of money, for those who were going to say "but I don't do the lottery" :roll:)? I'd be interested to hear your views...

Fred83

Re: If You Won The Lottery.....

Post by Fred83 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:26 pm

Throw it in the bank,let the interest build up on it.Take odd holiday/wkend away...
Last edited by Fred83 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ninjabearhug

Post by ninjabearhug » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:28 pm

I would still work, but I'd definitely change the type of work I do. I'd probably buy and sell houses and cars, mainly just to keep busy. I get really bored really easily and I know I wouldn't be able to sit around at home for the rest of my life, I'd probably drink myself to death if I had nothing else to do.

Then again, I'm not sure I'd even tell anyone I'd won, the missus included. Money can do strange things to people....

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:57 pm

No i wouldn't work but i would start a small part time business. Something around what i enjoy. Wouldn't matter if it didn't turnover a profit.

Would have two main holidays a year and a few weekends away.

I would start playing golf again and build a stonking good party/games room in the house i would have designed myself. ( on the banks of a lake or river. )

I've also always wanted to have a big telescope in a purpose build building in the back garden next to the river/lake. And a boat that i can row out to the centre of the lake at midnight with 8 cans of beer, just lay back and look at the stars whilst talking crap with me mates.

Oh and in "The Jerk" style, a disco room in the house where the party goers ( some of which were gorgous women that i picked up in the local clubs by telling them i was rich :wink: ) all hung out 70's style........

Think i would really like to restore a classic sports car as well.

RIK

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:02 pm

Open a small arcade/restaurant with the aim of simply breaking even, wouldn't need the money anyway. Like Cusak and Jack Black in High Fidelity, just there for the social aspect and playing the tunes (or in this case games) that I want.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:06 pm

If I didn't work I'd get bored, I 'd also die from the massive consumption of lager and quadruple bypass burgers :D
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

Dam

Post by Dam » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:12 pm

No way would I stay working if I didn't have to, thats crazy! I would go back to University though, which is somthing I'd love to do if I ever had even a modest amount of money behind me.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:31 pm

Dam wrote:No way would I stay working if I didn't have to, thats crazy! I would go back to University though, which is somthing I'd love to do if I ever had even a modest amount of money behind me.
Good plan, then you can sit in the union all day getting smashed and shag innocent "just of the bus" girls who don't know any better ... awesome!!!
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:57 pm

Are you kidding me?!

If I won a scratch card I'd quit my job, heck, any excuse!

A win like that would give you enough money to simply not get bored :P

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:17 pm

I could happily sit on my ars for the rest of my days. But with a Lottery win, I'd get myself and everyone I know out of debt, give a few hundred grand to certain organisations I care about, then get myself a big boat (converted into a house thing), and sit on that forever. Lots of fun.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

drewbar

Post by drewbar » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:52 pm

...if I won I would certainly leave my current job but would probably work in some capacity and do something that I would actually want to do for my self. I would even be happy to work for free in a local game store! Then again maybe I could purchase a Gametrader or Hogs Breath franchise.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:13 pm

I'd still work, cos that tenner wouldn't last me long.
Splink!

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:15 pm

I'd buy Gamestation off of Game and re-introduce the Retro section into EVERY store :D
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:33 pm

Completely depends on how much I won. If I won £1million I wouldn't quit work just yet, however if I won £10million then yeah, I'd totally jack it in.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:53 pm

If I won enough money so that the amount of interest I earned each month was the same as my wage, then I'd immediately jack my job in and concentrate on running the Retromaniacs site and playing games full time. I'm a lazy sod, me! :mrgreen: :lol:
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!