Today

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sega2006

Re: Today

Post by Sega2006 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:03 pm

I feel for you Shifty, I was stuck on JSA for so long and the system is massively broken, the honest are penalised and the dishonest rewarded.

To give you an example I've had the same Saturday work since I was 15, I chose to keep doing it as it was a good reference and I hate inactivity, however if I had given it up I would have been acctually finacially better off just claiming JSA.

Today I added to my further ongoing saga with a local dealer/garage, I won't go into too much detail as I'm giving them the chance to sort this peacefully and quietly, in short 4 instances of issues, including an scary moment of malfunction in traffic.
The past week a Manager wanted to talk about it with me so I agreed, hadn't called back as agreed so chased and today got the top level guy, agreed to make an appointment once spoken to said manager, I'll wait and see what happens.
Watching you sleep since 1990

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:07 pm

Im just about getting through this jobsearching and keeping my head down.

Then today we found out my partner has Dry Macular Degeneration and there is a high probability of major sight loss within 5 - 10 years.

I'm at a loss for exactly how I feel , like any mojo I had left has just been ripped away. We can ill afford the £8000+ laser surgery which may improve things but is not guaranteed. At a loss for any way to help other than just trying to keep our heads above water.

Its hit her hard though and all I can do is listen to her and be there for her.

Think its time to admit defeat and go to the doctor - I thought i couldnt feel any lower.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:01 pm

Very sorry to hear that, I really hope things turn around for you!
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:16 pm

Really sorry to hear that Shifty, all the best to you and your family.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:21 pm

shiftytigger wrote:
Think its time to admit defeat and go to the doctor - I thought i couldnt feel any lower.
Sorry to hear this shiftytigger and hope things pick up for you and your family.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:49 pm

Sorry hear that Shifty :(

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:02 pm

More a Combination of the two days

Speech Therapy isn't going aswell as the therapist hoped so its another camera up the nose and down the throat to look at my vocal chords, I can make some inteligible speech but it usually sounds like I've smoked 10'000 a day for 80 years or goes high and almost sounds Dame Edna, for reference I'm over 6ft and rather fat b*****d with a barrell chest so certainly not the noise you expect out of me.

War seems to be raging on with the Garage as not even a titter out of them today so I've gone higher, again I won't go into details yet as I want to resolve this peacfully, no compo face, no poo slinging, just a proper discussion in an adult manner (not that version of adult, stop sniggering at the back).

Edit: Didnt relise the swear filter didnt censor the B word so Ive done it manually

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:29 am

Wow shifty my thoughts are with you. Hope the job front also gets sorted soon. Been there done that with the job centre, not a pleasant experience.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:43 pm

Today I managed to get a walk round Helsinki for a couple of hours. Went in a cafe and we had a coffee and doughnut, then I went off on my own and found a big shopping centre. Needed a charge cable for my old iPod as I left it at home, only place I could find with them was a phone shop, so got stung 12 euros for what's a pound shop buy normally.

Didn't really see much of interest, it all looks quite modern and bland, I expected more historical architecture since it's an old established place (I think).

Bloomin cold though, way worse than winters in Scotland. Even though it was a 'nice day, sub zero temperatures meant you had a sting in your face. Water in the port is freezing over, huge lumps of ice in the sea. We're headed north too, so it's only going to get worse. Apparently when the ice starts coming in from up there, the ship can barely race ahead of it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:39 pm

Today I'm a bit miffed at myself as I ate junk and did not alot when I really need to get selling as sales have been poor this month when I need them to pick up with large impending bills due (bit of advice kids, 10 inch wide tyres are not awesome when you're paying for them), what little I did sort seemed to be beat up and low value and then my brother made me feel old by announcing my worn childhood Gameboy looks that way because it old enough to be an antique at over 20 years old.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:16 am

Had a job interview last week and been informed today that I didn't get it, was told they were deciding between me and somebody else...and they edged it. Feels like more of a blow to know it was a close run thing.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:20 pm

IronMaidenRule wrote:Had a job interview last week and been informed today that I didn't get it, was told they were deciding between me and somebody else...and they edged it. Feels like more of a blow to know it was a close run thing.
Last one I had they tried to kid me it was a close thing between me and the other candidate , when the truth of it was that the job had been created for her anyway and my interview was a box ticking exercise. Id rather they hadnt even interviewed me as it was demeaning. That was the last company I worked for though and they were renowned for talking down to employees.

Don't beat yourself up though - if you tried your best then close run or not doesnt matter. Id rather just keep it simple to a yes or no though , feedback isnt always that helpful.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:05 pm

Today i went into a launderette for the first time

My quilts needed a clean, im gonna miss the stank, but it started to get over powering at times

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:02 pm

Had a completely sh*t day today. Went for a normal eye test this morning only to be told to go directly to hospital!
Spent 5 hours waiting around on and off in between having my eyes poked and prodded, lights, eye drops, goo... to find out I have Glaucoma in my left eye :o (and I've got damage to the nerves causing me to have a crappy field of vision). I've had a blurry eye for about a month...

Pressure in left eye is 42 and right is 38 - was informed it shouldn't be higher than 20.

I always thought it was an 'old people' problem. Bollox. :(
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:24 am

Sorry to hear that mate, hope the docs can help you with it.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823