Today

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

IronMaidenRule

Re: Today

Post by IronMaidenRule » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:23 pm

Bit of a retro nostalgia day today, pretty normal as I went with my Missus to see IMR Jr have his swimming lesson, pretty cool how babies are programmed to survive in water! Anyway, they have a Wimpy and bowling alley on the floor above the leisure centre that I wanted to check out due to being hungry and to my amazement, they had some horrid retro arcade carpet and a few SEGA machines in!! Played a few games on the Ferrari F355 cabinet and what seemed to be a Jurassic Park type game where you are in a jeep and have to gun down all the animals!! Won the little one a soft toy on the grabber machines and had a Wimpy burger, what a great day!! :mrgreen:

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:43 pm

Today I found out my working days are numbered, I can't go into too much detail but between April and September my area is due to be outsourced :(
Watching you sleep since 1990

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:32 am

Today, most people in my office are either already on holiday, or have somehow swung it to all "work from home" at the same time. Almost empty office. And no work to do. After weeks and weeks of full-on pressure. Ho hum.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:48 pm

I had a meal from Pizza Hut for the first time in ages, it is now nearly 3am and I have had the shits all night, every time I lie down it feels like a volcano is going to go off! Had submitted a report to the local food standards, just in case!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:52 pm

Today I renewed my offshore survival certs, and had a minor panic when I couldn't get the helicopter window out, strapped upside down, under water. I swear this thing gets worse every time I do it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:20 pm

IronMaidenRule wrote:I had a meal from Pizza Hut for the first time in ages, it is now nearly 3am and I have had the shits all night, every time I lie down it feels like a volcano is going to go off! Had submitted a report to the local food standards, just in case!
Pizza Hut always makes me feel like crap the next morning/day but I will still occasionally order one anyway :oops: . Tell a lie, we use Dominos now as the service at the local PH was absymal last time we used it: first the order didn't turn up then nobody was answering the phones and when somebody DID pick up, they were rude as f*** and the order turned up with something missing. Put a complaint in and was given - as compensation for the sh1tty experience - vouchers to use in store :roll: . Er, okay...

Never using them again.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:54 pm

Megamixer wrote:
IronMaidenRule wrote:I had a meal from Pizza Hut for the first time in ages, it is now nearly 3am and I have had the shits all night, every time I lie down it feels like a volcano is going to go off! Had submitted a report to the local food standards, just in case!
Pizza Hut always makes me feel like crap the next morning/day but I will still occasionally order one anyway :oops: . Tell a lie, we use Dominos now as the service at the local PH was absymal last time we used it: first the order didn't turn up then nobody was answering the phones and when somebody DID pick up, they were rude as f*** and the order turned up with something missing. Put a complaint in and was given - as compensation for the sh1tty experience - vouchers to use in store :roll: . Er, okay...

Never using them again.
The local pizza hut and dominos are rubbish. Much prefer our local takeaway pizza shop, much tastier with the added bonus of being cheaper.

Dominoes topping always seems to slide off with it always being sloppy. Of course I have not tried every shop of theirs so it could be just the local ones that stink.

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:18 pm

well it is friday after all

down to town for a DENTIST CHECKUP and to take in a loaner heater since i had that boiler breakdown, which is all fixed now

went into council office ..... computer says NO ..... and now i either phone them up or take it myself ..... think i'll do the first one
DENTIST NEXT ..... and wasn't bad at all, a poke here, a clean there, and i was AWAAAAAAAAAAAAY 15 minutes later

what a fun day

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:44 pm

Today I dislocated my youngest grandaughter's elbow :cry:

I pulled her towards me when we were playing, like we've done hundreds of times before, and she started screaming, big deep sobby painful crying.

One trip to the hospital later, doc popped it back in and she's right as rain as if nothing happened.

I still feel terrible though. So, top tip, grab your kids by the body, not the arms, whe you want to pick them up. It might never happen to you, but I know I don't want to feel this guilty again, accident or not.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:33 am

Today I had to hit wiki to find out what the term "post rock" means.

What I learned from this experience is that trying to describe music with words is still a futile exercise and that whole "dancing about architecture" thing is as accurate an observation as you're ever likely to come across.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:37 am

Today I had to Google 'dancing about architecture' to find out what it meant. What a silly simile. :lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:24 am

markopoloman wrote:Today I had to Google 'dancing about architecture' to find out what it meant. What a silly simile. :lol:
It's all ridiculous. I remember all the heavy metal and rock mags disappearing up their arses in spectacular style during the mid 80s to early 90s in a haze of pointless labelling and pigeonholing excess. Mostly it boiled down to use of the word "core" whenever two bands sounded incrementally different to two other bands. Simply pick a word slightly reminiscent of a band's overall sound or image and stick the word "core" after it and you've got yourself a movement you can hang a review on. It made for a whole load of comparative pretentious crap and was why I stopped bothering with music magazines. Post Rock is a new one for me. I glanced at the wiki and laughed out loud because it utterly fails to describe the music. Out of interest I took a look at the wiki for types of metal and the labelling has hilariously exploded into farce. Obviously it's the result of a couple of decades of writers struggling with their impossible task and lots of bands (and fans) trying to find some sort of identity.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:41 am

Yeah, it's weird and I can never really follow all the genres and sub-genres that people use

Today, seemingly from nowhere, there is a huge zit on the back of my hand. Fighting the urge right now to pop it, looks like a squirter. :shock:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:18 am

The Beans wrote:
markopoloman wrote:Today I had to Google 'dancing about architecture' to find out what it meant. What a silly simile. :lol:
It's all ridiculous. I remember all the heavy metal and rock mags disappearing up their arses in spectacular style during the mid 80s to early 90s in a haze of pointless labelling and pigeonholing excess. Mostly it boiled down to use of the word "core" whenever two bands sounded incrementally different to two other bands. Simply pick a word slightly reminiscent of a band's overall sound or image and stick the word "core" after it and you've got yourself a movement you can hang a review on. It made for a whole load of comparative pretentious crap and was why I stopped bothering with music magazines. Post Rock is a new one for me. I glanced at the wiki and laughed out loud because it utterly fails to describe the music. Out of interest I took a look at the wiki for types of metal and the labelling has hilariously exploded into farce. Obviously it's the result of a couple of decades of writers struggling with their impossible task and lots of bands (and fans) trying to find some sort of identity.
So do Rock/Metal forums have a gazillion subforums like RVG?

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:56 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
The Beans wrote:
So do Rock/Metal forums have a gazillion subforums like RVG?
It's the internet.
Without even looking I can state with absolute certainty that there'll be a forum with each genre ruthlessly divided into its own section for the benefit of the seven members who post there. Just as certain is the existence of plenty of general forums with a more laid back approach where the recurring topic is "But just what is Prog Rock?".